The Religion Thread

Blank

First, i would like to apologize to Kumq for spamming up his thread with religious debate. and now for the apologetics:

If the Jews aren't special then whey do they factor into all End Time prophecies so heavily Blank? 

They are still God's People even after they rejected Christ.  Unless you've cut of a very Calvinist cloth, certainly you believe that you had to accept Jesus into your heart to become a Child of God.

They never accepted Him though, so the fact that they reject Him means they never had Him, so they aren't children of God by faith, but they have always been children of God by the law, but we all know that the law cannot save one from their sins, since all have sinned and one sin=death according to the law. so their status as children of God by the law is only to serve as an endtime reminder that they rejected their own Messiah and aren't saved unless they accept Him.

I do accept that you have to "accept Jesus into your heart" (i.e. believe that He payed the penalty for your sins and accept His sacrifice for your own acknowledged sins) in order to become a Child of God. But like i said in the previous paragraph, just because Jews are born children of God by the law doesn't automatically cause them to accept Jesus. Many haven't, some have. Why would Peter minister the gospel to the Jews if they were already saved? it is because they weren't already saved. They still needed Jesus like the gentiles did, and like everyone else did.

I'd fire the christian god for being lazy and incompetant though.

just wondering, in what ways do you think he is lazy and incompetent?(so that i can refute as a Christian with the reason why i don't think He is lazy and incompetent)

First, i would like to apologize to Kumq for spamming up his thread with religious debate. and now for the apologetics:

If the Jews aren't special then whey do they factor into all End Time prophecies so heavily Blank? 

They are still God's People even after they rejected Christ.  Unless you've cut of a very Calvinist cloth, certainly you believe that you had to accept Jesus into your heart to become a Child of God.

They never accepted Him though, so the fact that they reject Him means they never had Him, so they aren't children of God by faith, but they have always been children of God by the law, but we all know that the law cannot save one from their sins, since all have sinned and one sin=death according to the law. so their status as children of God by the law is only to serve as an endtime reminder that they rejected their own Messiah and aren't saved unless they accept Him.

I do accept that you have to "accept Jesus into your heart" (i.e. believe that He payed the penalty for your sins and accept His sacrifice for your own acknowledged sins) in order to become a Child of God. But like i said in the previous paragraph, just because Jews are born children of God by the law doesn't automatically cause them to accept Jesus. Many haven't, some have. Why would Peter minister the gospel to the Jews if they were already saved? it is because they weren't already saved. They still needed Jesus like the gentiles did, and like everyone else did.

just wondering, in what ways do you think he is lazy and incompetent?(so that i can refute as a Christian with the reason why i don't think He is lazy and incompetent)

Well if they dont buy into the new testement then thats all irrelevent to them anyway.

Well he dosnt actually do anything. The whole christian ethos is basically a big get out clause.

Free will, moving in myseterious ways all that stuff. Thats the only reason the religion has been around as long as it has. Because god was always a lazy sod no ones really noticed any change.

Unless you go back to ye olde testement god.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Now THAT was my kind of god.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's kind of like writing the sequel to a book but not being happy with the original authors characters.

I prefer the Fire Emblems guys solution over Noah's though. When their god flooded the world they kicked his arse and trapped him in an amulet. (w00t)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well if they dont buy into the new testement then thats all irrelevent to them anyway.

Well he dosnt actually do anything. The whole christian ethos is basically a big get out clause.

Free will, moving in myseterious ways all that stuff. Thats the only reason the religion has been around as long as it has. Because god was always a lazy sod no ones really noticed any change.

Okay, the Olde testament God is the same God in the NT. Read Malachi and you will see why He stopped being active in the world. He has justly left us to our own devices.

Malachi was written, and then i think 300 years later John the Baptist comes along saying that the Messiah has come. the 300 year period drought in the Bible makes sense to me, since God finished what He needed to say in Malachi until the next relevant event (very relevant, that is, Jesus).

Now THAT is my kind of signature

He has justly left us to our own devices.

Exactly he's lazy and good for nothing. If he were a parent he'd be in gaol.

the emphasis is on "justly". if you think that the OT God ever existed then why would you assume He with all His power just suddenly lost it or became lazy? That is one of the more illogical things i have heard you allude to.

]

the emphasis is on "justly". if you think that the OT God ever existed then why would you assume He with all His power just suddenly lost it or became lazy? That is one of the more illogical things i have heard you allude to.

Because someone new penned the character.

Not really once you become all powerful you get bored. Think of it like a giant sim earth game, once you have your world ticking over nicely all you can really do is chuck natural disasters at it to spice things up. After a while even that gets old.

At the point you either shut off the machine and go do something else. Or you wipe the whole lot out and start over.

You do realise how many religions there have been since man popped up I take it ? Kind of arrogant to believe that this one is the right one dont ya think. :p

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

I'd fire the christian god for being lazy and incompetant though.

Have you've ever seen that one episode of Futurama where Bender becomes God? If not than you really should watch it.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Have you've ever seen that one episode of Futurama where Bender becomes God? If not than you really should watch it.

Can't say I have. I know what sort of character Bender is though so imagine it's pretty funny.

478327[/snapback]

I hand it to Blank for having the b**ls to make a thread like this, as topics like religion usually tend to degerate into flame wars. :ph34r:

But I'll give it a go. As for ShadowPaladin's comment about God's lack of intervention in the world, I think we're all missing the point that God gave us all a free will. If he set up everything for us, why would there be any point to our existance? We'd all be actors following a script. Personally, I'd rather have that then be manipulated unknowingly by an outside force.

You do realise how many religions there have been since man popped up I take it ? Kind of arrogant to believe that this one is the right one dont ya think.

Not really. A lot of religions are based on the assumption that they're the right ones. Why would you follow a religion if you didn't believe it was right? I have my own reasons for believing my faith is correct, but at the same time, I won't go out and smite others for their beliefs. If I ever did try to convert someone, it'd be as my faith teaches: in a respectful, friendly manner.

God: To be god you have to use a light touch, like a safe cracker or a pickpocket

Bender: Or like a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money.

God: Ya, if you make it look like an electrical thing.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Not really.  A lot of religions are based on the assumption that they're the right ones.  Why would you follow a religion if you didn't believe it was right? 

That's a question I ask every Catholic I meet, still no good answers, just "isn't Mary great!"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Can't say I have. I know what sort of character Bender is though so imagine it's pretty funny.

The episode actually has a lesson. http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/EpisodeGuide/Season4/

Scroll down to Godfellas, if you ever get the chance you watch the episode...than watch it.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I liked that episode. I especially liked how Bender really tried to make a go of being responsible. But it went all wrong.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If anybody here has problems with religion, religion does have its purposes. True, some of you guys might disagree with religions, but the believers do not. Religion saves the religious. Science save the scientists, and philolosphy saves the philosopher all from self destruction. A belief may bring meaning to a life. So to rag on about someone elses meaning, your asking for trouble even though you don't know it.

As long as everybody is happy and checking others when they step beyond their boundry then everything is ok.

A good person is a good person. To those of you who do have a problem with religion i recomend finding a way not to, because in the end your just hurting yourself. Its a form of prejudice really, I've been there because i didn't know better, If your strong enough you'll dig yourself out of the hole. :p

I recomend having a look at Reletivism, and Humanism, even Recontructionism.

:p

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I rather liked Jan Janssen's account of being a god in BG2.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If anybody here has problems with religion, religion does have its purposes. True, some of you guys might disagree with religions,  but the believers do not. Religion saves the religious. Science save the scientists, and philolosphy saves the philosopher all from self destruction. A belief may bring meaning to a life. So to rag on about someone elses meaning, your asking for trouble even though you don't know it.

Spot the functionalist.

478327[/snapback]