More flags

Janmanden

Hmmm, this is also the place where you put ideas for the forum or is that way off-topic or generally removed?

Anyway...

Would be nice with some more flags that works similar to the link for Dev notes. Like "On-topic" as some of those threads around are huge and full of nothing, and it would be really nice to skip the nothingness and only see the on-topic posts. For instance to read thru the ideas in the thread on ideas for KotOR3 part #??...an option to see just the ideas and skip the discussion and various non-value adding outbursts would have been really nice...if flags like that already is in place, please point in the right direction.

Could be some categories for every post like uh: On-topic, Agreement, Discussion, General BS, Bumping...

Compared to K2 or NWN2 this should be rather easy for you...so, erm, please? (w00t)

edit: some bewildered smilie snuck in.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled) 

The poster would make the decision, I bet.

If implemented, it would suffer some serious abuse. I'd label all of my posts as "On-Topic" or perhaps "Fact". :D

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The poster would make the decision, I bet.

That's the idea, generally self-restraint....and a little Big Brother (see next line).

If implemented, it would suffer some serious abuse. I'd label all of my posts as "On-Topic" or perhaps "Fact". :D

In some cases, mods should remove the flags and label it as general bs until the user see the light...

'Until'? You mean 'if the impossible would come to pass'?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

So what if I'm a gullible romantic...that uses words that explain a lot like 'until'.

You don't think it's something you'd like to use or could be trusted with, seriously, flags i.e. ?

edit: something seriously snuck out.

Edited by Janmanden

Yes, I believe I couldn't control myself properly if these flags were implemented. :mellow:

kirottu said:

So you'd actually like if besides levels that classes or alignments were added too, as in your case it would be chaotic/rookie/n00b? If I got the pattern if any (chaotic) of your previous posts right...or I was less of a troll.

It's a nice idea in theory but like the others I believe it wouldn't work/be used. People rarely even use those 'Post Icon' smileys that show up next to the menu topic title. I'm not sure most would even really notice if there were more clickable options in the posting window. heh

I've never seen a forum where very long threads stayed totally on-topic, that's just the way things go. You get used to it. It's usually not too difficult to skim for the meat of the topic. :(

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've never seen a forum where very long threads stayed totally on-topic, that's just the way things go. You get used to it. It's usually not too difficult to skim for the meat of the topic.  :(

If you come in from the cold, 13 pages plus 12 previous parts on the matter seems a bit overwhelming when 80% is nothing but off-topic bumpetibumps and chit chatter...the 'bit' is more like a terrabyte. My head shrinks from experiences like that... Maybe it's just me, but I think those icon are pretty nice and I'd definitely use more options if available.

Heh, I know what you mean by feeling overwhelmed. I've certainly avoided such threads at times as 'too much work/time.'

For myself tho, I often use the Fast Reply option and never see the posting menu in the first place.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^Most of us use the fast reply window. It's quite easy to learn to use and : ( instead of going to 'more options'.

kirottu said:

That's really inconsistent, but maybe you are just the exceptions from the crowd that screams for more content, choices, paths and options in games but strangely not on forums. <_<

Well, no need for a fast reply, but a fast read would be nice. (w00t)

edit: some quick snuck in.

Edited by Janmanden

Hmmm, this is also the place where you put ideas for the forum or is that way off-topic or generally removed?

Anyway...

Would be nice with some more flags that works similar to the link for Dev notes. Like "On-topic" as some of those threads around are huge and full of nothing, and it would be really nice to skip the nothingness and only see the on-topic posts. For instance to read thru the ideas in the thread on ideas for KotOR3 part #??...an option to see just the ideas and skip the discussion and various non-value adding outbursts would have been really nice...if flags like that already is in place, please point in the right direction.

Could be some categories for every post like uh: On-topic, Agreement, Discussion, General BS, Bumping...

Compared to K2 or NWN2 this should be rather easy for you...so, erm, please?  (w00t)

edit: some bewildered smilie snuck in.

Here's what's wrong with this suggestion:

1. members are supposed to post on topic, so theoretically there should not be a need for your flags.
  2. Self categorisation is a ludicrously unworkable idea; and I'm positive the moderators would not thank you for the extra work involved in policing the extra layer of administration.
  3. If you find a member that you feel persistently posts SPAM, then add that member to your Block List. The addition of an extra index, namely posting category, would require major surgery to the website.
    • What do you do with all the posts that already exist?
    • How do you make the members use the correct category?
    • How do you know you don't want to read the on- (or off-, for that matter) -topic discussions?

[*]If the addition is costly (time and money), has additional costs in maintenance, has questionable methodology, has little possible uptake potential, and therefore has little point, why do you suppose someone in their right mind would want to do it?

[*]Why don't you build (or commission someone to build for you) a forum parser, that downloads a topic / forum / complete fora and adds all the categories for you and then allows you to search / sort / read by these categories? What's that? Too hard? Yes.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Here's what's wrong with this suggestion:
  1. members are supposed to post on topic, so theoretically there should not be a need for your flags.

2. Self categorisation is a ludicrously unworkable idea; and I'm positive the moderators would not thank you for the extra work involved in policing the extra layer of administration.

3. If you find a member that you feel persistently posts SPAM, then add that member to your Block List. The addition of an extra index, namely posting category, would require major surgery to the website.
    • What do you do with all the posts that already exist?
    • How do you make the members use the correct category?
    • How do you know you don't want to read the on- (or off-, for that matter) -topic discussions?

[*]If the addition is costly (time and money), has additional costs in maintenance, has questionable methodology, has little possible uptake potential, and therefore has little point, why do you suppose someone in their right mind would want to do it?

[*]Why don't you build (or commission someone to build for you) a forum parser, that downloads a topic / forum / complete fora and adds all the categories for you and then allows you to search / sort / read by these categories? What's that? Too hard? Yes.

:D :D :D

Thanks for a clear case of formalism, please add something constructive next time. :huh:

Here's why that's just plain lame unconstructive narrowminded medieval BS, that Herve Caen would love you for: :)"

Flags is a "By Users - For Users" concept. It's about having fun and be respectful to each other. Not mutually exclusive. It's about adding readability for whatever read you desire. If you prefer BS then you can use the BS filter, if you prefer the thread filtered with any other flag then use that. Thanks to these Flags devs will find it a lot easier to read thru ideas and finish K3 faster. And because you would like to see that too you'll be happy to use those flags.

1. On-topic isn't whatever discussion someone decides to pull at any point in a thread, but the general idea of the thread starter. PM exist for any other purpose. Exceptions do exist where it's allowed to go off topic and enter social chat mode, but it's still off-topic and should be marked as such and any amount of such futile crap can be added with flags in place.
  2. Flags mean you can can cut the bs, ontopic, spam or whicever if you so desire, it doesn't exclude reading the bs since that's just another flag. Each flag equals a filter if used, and if you don't use them, you just get the chunky pages.
  3. Flags will make catching up with the pointers of any thread a lot faster, anyone that feels like adding constructive thought and ideas shouldn't suffer from brain overload of any other kind than what he chose to see.
  4. anything that was made prior to incept date will simply return no results used with any filter...just like that empy result, a thread with nothing but ontopic posts will display, with a show bs only filter.
  5. Well if users can bash at redundant threads and quote each other obviously they are not totally inept as you'd like to believe. But to keep flags simple, simply put a Must read on flags in Forum Policy and keep them simple and self-explaing otherwise and let regular users correct newcomers out of the kindness of their hearts.
  6. mods? You are really desperate to mention that...we manage quite well on our own and have no need for police - mostly.
  7. Why don't you extend your horizon, what's that? Too hard? Yes.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess.

Meta, have mercy on him.

Anyway, I'm still not sure that adding flags would help in any way. We'd need moderators to enforce that they're used, otherwise the feature is as good as nothing. And when it comes to enforced rules which are not liked; these forum members have a tendency to be...rebellious.

Your effort is admirable, by the way.

kirottu said:

Hm... I never used that attachment before on this forum...and I generally hate all that anime crap that people spew all over. A little compression might help cut the size without total spoilage.

This is along the lines of what I've been thinking. Pretty sketchy so far as for some reason I don't get much constructive critizism or suggestion on the matter...

First the Add Reply then Fast Reply and lastly how it's used as a menu to Read.

Was thinking about an additional flag that users can set to make it easier for Mods to prune threads...other than Total BS, Chitchat and in some cases Off-topic Discussions. Mixed content is f.x. like On-topic Total BS...

post-739-1133016275_thumb.jpg

post-739-1133016304_thumb.jpg

post-739-1133016328_thumb.jpg

for some reason I don't get much constructive critizism or suggestion on the matter...

There is plenty of constructive feedback, but you just seem to view it as a personal attack. :(

The problems were pointed out already

- self-moderation is just not going to work (It is unreasonable to expect anyone to mark their posts as "Total BS")

- a lot of changes to standard board code (waste of valuable admin's time)

And

and I generally hate all that anime crap that people spew all over.

You will get used to it. :p;)

1/ It would not be used by many, thus defeating its raison d'etre.

2/ Where it is used, it will often be the medium of jokes or cynism, or plain idiocy.

3/ Any moderation of such a system would require cataclysmic amounts of mindnumbing dronework.

There you go, nice and simple. I note that it also refutes all your points against meta's dissection.

Why do you resist, do you think we should remove all smilies, text format, formats, lists and the ability to link to other pages and not use attachments as well? :blink:

The problems were pointed out already

- self-moderation is just not going to work (It is unreasonable to expect anyone to mark their posts as "Total BS")

Maybe, but If you don't like "Total BS" what kind of a term would you suggest to use instead?

to mark their posts as "Total BS")

- a lot of changes to standard board code (waste of valuable admin's time)

I can't really comment on that, because I am not aware of the time consumption of the admin, but apparently you are, care to explain?

I'm pretty sure that this system isn't gonna blow the casket. The time spend by the Admin might increase a bit shortterm and for the Mods it willl decrease a bit longterm....provided that we help each other.

1/ It would not be used by many, thus defeating its raison d'etre.

2/ Where it is used, it will often be the medium of jokes or cynism, or plain idiocy.

3/ Any moderation of such a system would require cataclysmic amounts of mindnumbing dronework.

There you go, nice and simple. I note that it also refutes all your points against meta's dissection.

Refute? You didn't prove anything, you just repeated meta's darkened outlook, that I already pawned (but since I've repeated the same nonsense so many times over I'll gladly do it again!) and you even try to take credit for it - hey Meta are you gonna put up with that??!. GO META GO!! KILL!! KILL!! KILL!! :thumbsup: No? Uh, hehe... :D

1. You don't know that.
    Everything that is already in place is used. Some things more than other. And
    everything has a beginning.
    If there is a reason, like increased readability, improved search, checking posts to see who wrote what and fast, to see if there's any socializing going on, any off-topic discussion you'd like to be part of, catching-up with all the on-topic posts in K3 part 5000 - you know that thread spanning 50 pages with 49 of those being nothing else than pure BS...you'll learn and desire to do it yourself. If you don't, I doubt you are even human, and I'll sound a bot alert.
  2. You don't know that!
    And I don't think so. Smilies work and are used with reason. Text formats works and noone is making too much of a mess of themselves with insane colors, size adjustments and general monkeybusiness.
  3. You don't know that!
    This can be the best system evar...and if it works the way it should it could be the fastest prune ever...mods are gonna start making threads with Prune Scores and be on the constant lookout for ripe posts to beat Fionavars or Tarnas highscore...while you will wonder in vain why your postcount is permanently zero and you can't find a single of posts anywhere... ;)

edit: something spaced-out snuck out.

Edited by Janmanden