No more cloth for me.

Child of Flame

I would like to know why, exactly, it matters if she is of a different faith? To hell with traditions and nay sayers. If you truly want this girl and think you could spend your life with her...to put it bluntly...**** everything else.

You only live once (...accepting some religious beliefs), why squander it?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Catholic and Protestant, different faiths, haw haw, good one guys.

There not different as a whole, but the difference really comes down to how the religion is interpreted and practiced. That's why you see so many denominations in the Church today.

So they're the same, but different. Got it? :)

Edited by Mothman

Catholics only just started praying in English, y'know; up until I turned up (no connection) they used to read everything in Latin.

I was talking about pre-WW2 society, where Catholics were violently against inter-denominational marriages (not sure about Protestants, they normally were just contrary for the sake of it, so they probably encouraged it!) You are also forgeting Ireland, I take it. And how about the Shia and Sunni Muslims?

Sometimes the smallest differences make the most acerbic arguments.

There not different as a whole, but the difference really comes down to how the religion is interpreted and practiced.  That's why you see so many denominations in the Church today. 

So they're the same, but different?  Got it?  ;)

Just what I'd expect from someone that can see no logical flaw with reconciling God as a trinity. :)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There not different as a whole, but the difference really comes down to how the religion is interpreted and practiced.  That's why you see so many denominations in the Church today. 

So they're the same, but different.  Got it?  ;)

Just what I'd expect from someone that can see no logical flaw with reconciling God as a trinity. :)"

Care to explain? Or shall I unleash "paladin frenzy" and get reported? :p

Edited by Mothman

I would like to know why, exactly, it matters if she is of a different faith? To hell with traditions and nay sayers. If you truly want this girl and think you could spend your life with her...to put it bluntly...**** everything else.

You only live once (...accepting some religious beliefs), why squander it?

That is basically my thought, I am entirely too romantic at heart for my own good. But by marrying a Muslim, even if I didn't convert, I would basically be throwing myself out of pretty much any pastoral position. Leaders have some pretty different standards they're expected to uphold than followers.

And yes, I know it is soon, but the way I was brought up, dating is utilized as a tool to find a prospective partner, one you can live the rest of your life with. Even with my problems with God at the moment, this is something I still believe in pretty strongly.

... You could always convert ...
Care to explain? 

No. :)

That's what I'm planning on doing if the relationship ends up going that far.

Also, I'll continue on with my current plans, as I was planning on studying Psychology before moving on to Seminary, as Pastoral Counseling is a large part of a Minister's work.

Even if things do end up going that far, I'll still have a viable trade, that will pretty much always be around as long as humans continue to be the screwed up buggers they are.

Also, I tend to plan ahead to a rather extreme extent. Even before I met this girl, as soon as I got a job, I was planning on tucking away money for a wedding ring/noneymoon from my paycheck every month (College Students/Pastors don't tend to have lucrative financial means, and modern dowries are 'spensive).

... You could always convert ...
Care to explain? 

No. :)

That's what I'm planning on doing if the relationship ends up going that far.

Also, I'll continue on with my current plans, as I was planning on studying Psychology before moving on to Seminary, as Pastoral Counseling is a large part of a Minister's work.

Even if things do end up going that far, I'll still have a viable trade, that will pretty much always be around as long as humans continue to be the screwed up buggers they are.

Also, I tend to plan ahead to a rather extreme extent. Even before I met this girl, as soon as I got a job, I was planning on tucking away money for a wedding ring/noneymoon from my paycheck every month (College Students/Pastors don't tend to have lucrative financial means, and modern dowries are 'spensive).

Psychology will cure you of any last vestiges of religion. ;)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Then why do they have an MFT course at the Seminary I was thinking about joining?  :o

CONSPIRACY!

They probably teach a version that emphasises certain elements over others.

How long is the course ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Then why do they have an MFT course at the Seminary I was thinking about joining?  :o

CONSPIRACY!

They probably teach a version that emphasises certain elements over others.

How long is the course ?

I am not sure how long it is, or any of the course specifics really, aside from it being good enough you can get certified by the State of California, and the tests you have to take for that are damned hard as my Dad is studying for them now.

I am two years away (at the very least) from transferring to Seminary or any other Uni.

Catholics only just started praying in English, y'know; up until I turned up (no connection) they used to read everything in Latin.

I was talking about pre-WW2 society, where Catholics were violently against inter-denominational marriages (not sure about Protestants, they normally were just contrary for the sake of it, so they probably encouraged it!) You are also forgeting Ireland, I take it. And how about the Shia and Sunni Muslims?

Sometimes the smallest differences make the most acerbic arguments.

So they're the same, but different?  Got it?  :p

Just what I'd expect from someone that can see no logical flaw with reconciling God as a trinity. :o"

Oh no, i am well aware of Protestant/Catholic "differences" and their attitude toward each other but its all small fry compared to Hindu-Muslim relationships for example. That is real stress.

Regarding shia-sunni relations in the context of marriage.... shiites are such a minority there are probably very few cases.

Never mind. She's a Muslim. I should have read more carefully.

I think if the difference in culture couldn't stop you two young birds from falling in love, the different ways you guys worship the same God shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if you have seen Kingdom of Heaven. There is one scene when Orlando Bloom saw the Muslims praying in the morning at the beach and asked other Christians about it and said "they don't seem all that different from us". Maybe totally irrelevant but I just thought I'd mention this.

Edited by julianw

The Trinity is such a logical dilemma that St. Augustine himself threw in the towel. He also had a transcendent experience that brought the whole issue home.

We're used to seeing the issue of Trinity settled, but we must understand that it is only settled by faith itself. It remains a logical roadblock. Just thought I'd throw all that into the mix.

As for the Muslim/Christian marriage experience... date her. If you love her, marry her. You'll probably have bitter fights over religion from time to time, but that's not so bad. You'll probably have a broader view of other religions for all that. God willing, and with some determination, your marriage will be a beacon of light to a world of darkness.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

She's just a friend for now, but there seem to be some pretty strong signs of attraction.

She thinks it would work just fine (not with me, as I used the example of my Aunt and Uncle to bring it up), I do not, and if things progressed far enough, unless she wanted to convert to Christianity I would probably convert to Islam.

I wouldn't worry about anyone converting just yet. Good Lord, Child, date first and decide on the heavy issues when the time comes.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I wouldn't worry about anyone converting just yet.  Good Lord, Child, date first and decide on the heavy issues when the time comes.

See, but the choice about not going into the ministry was very much less about this relationship and more about general problems with doctrine, and disbelief in myself.

The thing just seemed to evolve into a relationship thread the moment I mentioned a woman even inspired these thoughts a little.

I shouldn't be surprised really, in a conversation comprised mostly of males, many of which who do not get out all that much, but would love to give advice. :geek: