Whats up with all the short games ?

It took me about 40 hours to beat the game and yes, I consider the high end of short.  60 to 70 hours is mid range, anything 100+ hours is long.

Really dont see how thats possible unless spent a lot of time standing around or backtracking.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

JE is one of those games where everyone seems to exaggerate their play time. I honestly don't think people truly pay attention to how much time they spent on it, and just randomly pick a number. Heh. Either that, or those less than 20 hours people skip a lot of things, and those 40+ hpiurs people go over every inch of ground twice just in case they missed something.

Myself, it took me about 28 hours not counting deaths which likely added a couple more hours.

Long or short, JE is awesome. LONG LIVE JE2!

Hades, you have a weird time neccesaryily. Only a handful of games - maybe 6 of them - actually reach 100 hours. You expect way too much as far as duration is concerned when it comes to games.

WOWSERS!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My point is that it matters less that a game is short, if it delivers a level of entertainment great *and* complete enough to justify its cost. If it leaves you feeling cheated, then no. At least, it's not justified for you, is it?

I agree with this completely.

Perhaps it's less a complaint about length as the fact that one often can't determine how much one is going to like a given game without buying it first. And once bought, you can't (usually) return them for the full price (or any price). Where I live, you typically can't even exchange for a different game, only for another copy of the same game. I understand the reasons behind this but that doesn't mean I like it.

Demos are supposed to help with this, but I often find them lacking since I prefer my opinion of games to be based on more than one or two 'maps' or the tutorial levels - there's many games where I intially didn't like it but then ended up loving it.

There is a retailer in the UK that lets customers return games within ten days for a full refund. (I nearly took EQ back, but I calculated the opportunity cost and decided against it.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It took me about 40 hours to beat the game and yes, I consider the high end of short.  60 to 70 hours is mid range, anything 100+ hours is long.

60-70 hours is "midrange?"

How many "long" games are out there? I mean, not even BG2 took me 100 hours to beat. I wonder if it even took me 100 hours to beat it TWICE.

I mean, a full playthrough of Fallout for me now (now meaning of course I know where to go and don't get stuck anywhere...but I still play through the game without just warping to the end; i.e. I still roleplay the game) can be beaten in a single sitting for me.

Edited by alanschu

Combining BG 1 and BG2, with expansion, I totalled almost 200 hours of game time. Morrowind I played for 400 hours. Planescape, exploring every single nitch of the game because I love the setting, took me about 80 hours. Fallout, on the first time through, took me about 50 to 60 hours.

Jade Empire took me about 40 hours. When I play that game I read every scroll, book, and such. I talk to everyone. I use different combat moves. Hell, one time I had about 6 to 7 magic and life orbs scattered on the field. Harmonic combos rock.

I play for completeness when I play a game, each time I play a single game.

How long a game lasts depends on if you do every quests/tasks in the game. I always do every quest in a game because of the experiance points/rewards you get and I like to prolong the enjoyment of playing the game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

My first playthrough is always one for kicks.

Playing for completeness is a chore, I'd rather leave for later.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I rarely play anything through twice, so I try and complete everything like Hades. There are many games I've tried to play through a second time, like going Darkside on KotOR or trying new parties in BG, but I tend to get tired of repeating stuff and stop playing.

Even Jagged Alliance 2. I've only made it to the end game once, but I love to start a new team and take a few towns before I lose interest.

^I have that same problem with IWD 2, well actually with all infinity games.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

^Same here. Do you ghost?

kirottu said:

Jade Empire is a short game. You may be able to prolong its life by running in circles or doing stupid shoot'em up sequences forever, but for a normal user it's a short game, less than 20 hours of gameplay.

KotOR/KotOR2 are mid-range games. I am sure you can just run through them or idle around some obscure planet for hours, but again, for the normal player they will take around 30 hours.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a long game. No matter how you play it, it will cost you 50+ hours of your life. It has stolen a lot more than 100 hours from mine.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My first playthrough is always one for kicks.

Playing for completeness is a chore, I'd rather leave for later.

I agree. My first playthrough I always playthrough with a strict roleplaying perspective, and it usually results in an exceptionally satisfying game experience.

My KOTOR 1 was probably the best, where I always tried to do the right thing. My trip to Korriban had me convinced that I needed to buy into the Sith ways to protect myself and my allies. Turns out I was seduced by the power of the darkside. When I found myself all alone under the waters of Manaan, I was also more willing to be evil since I had no one around to judge me. When I returned to the surface, my journey to the darkside was well underway.

Appropriately enough, I reached full darkside mastery right at the end of the unknown planet :thumbsup:

Obs-Com is overrated, mister. So is washing one's hands.

kirottu said: