console and PC

Walsingham

Ok, Hellykitty, I think I get you. The nature of an FPS is to shift the complexity into the environment rather than the controls.

Can you think of any strategy or rpg games where this would be the case?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ok, Hellykitty, I think I get you. The nature of an FPS is to shift the complexity into the environment rather than the controls.

I think that in all games the complexity should be in the gameplay. Flight Sims would probably require loads of keys, though.

Can you think of any strategy or rpg games where this would be the case?

I can play games like Age of Empires and Rise of Nations, or Baldur's Gate and ToEE entirely with the mouse. The options are all in the interface icons and menus.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Only little babies who cry for their momma rely on keyboard shortcuts. But seriously, there is no reason not using keyboard shortcuts would make the game any harder, unless you were really, really slow with the mouse. Or perhaps I'm just not giving my mad mouse skillz enough credit.

Of course, the point is that more keys doesn't equal good mental workout, not how difficult one finds a particular control scheme.

Two of my big beefs with consoles and console games have just crystallised. I'm not trying to flame consoles on their many strengths but anyway...

1) Producing a console game is a far higher money enterprise than a PC game. A fact becoming still more pronounced as next gen consoles have minimum budgets in the milions, including distribution and so forth.  PC games, on the other hand can be produced by a couple of guys and distributed online for practically no outlay.

2) A console game typically has onlya few buttons, compared with the scads of buttons on my PC keyboard. Surely this means the console will never have as complex games?

~~

Both these things make me worry that console games are going to soon attain a level of stupefying play-it-safe-n-simple-ness. But that, because of the big money involved games houses will chase this market at the expense of the more richly varied potential on teh PC.

~~~

Or maybe I just need to shut the hell up.  :)

True, but the sales of console games are higher overall too. I doubt it evens out, or developers wouldnt be scrabbling to make console games like they are.

With the exceptions of flightsims and things that require actual typing, it's really not a big deal. Key shortcuts may speed things up a bit, although I've found the DS touch screen to be a great method of control.

Point me in the direction of this richly varied potential, because I can't say I've seen any on the PC for quite some time.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I played through AoE2, AoM and RoN without using shortcuts. I can't say I ever felt the need to build a barracks 2 seconds faster.

It's important when it comes to muitiplayer. But if everyone is playing on mouse alone, wouldnt be an issue.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

A good tip is to put your keyboard under the desk (on your lap) and practice. That will stop you automatically looking at the keyboard and you will begin to improve immediately. (I wrote all this without once looking away from the screen.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I wrote this without looking off the screen even once. I'm rather proud actually. :)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Spend enough time here and you will eventually pick up touch typing without even realising. Along with being able to type really fast. Unfortunately my message board typing dosnt actually work in the real world so I end up typing really slowly. Although I can still type without looking which is rather handy.

478327[/snapback]