Censorship

Gabrielle

I think Lal said it best (from Alpha Centauri)

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

-- Commissioner Pravin Lal,

"U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Edited by Darque

... message boards or any other source of information.

Hahahahaha, message boards, why would anyone censor mes...I mean really, the mods are only trying to help us, why would they suppr...er, edit information.

are you trying to get us killed! Their everywhere :ph34r:

Edited by kumquatq3

Censorship is fine for children, and only for children. I rmember growing up hearing about how US was superior because of all our freedoms. Nationalistic stuff thats from every country really. Well the United Stats might brag about freedom of speech but during war time (WW2, Vietnam coughiraqcough) they censored people. Sad. I call that brainwashing. Voters should see everything.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

What's your view on censorship? It could be anything  from your government, newspapers, message boards or any other source of information.

As long as I don't get censored than I don't care.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Sometimes it might be appropriate...( I'll avoid the message board part for now. :) )

Would you tell a mother, after just having survived a terrible car accident, that her husband and two children were killed?

If yes, would you tell them that they were smeared across 50 feet of pavement until they went over into a canyon?

How gruesome do you want to be to be 'honest'?

Would you tell a failed suicide that the overdose ( of whatever ) just blew out his kidneys and he'll probably be on dialysis for the rest of his life.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I'm a mod on a popular gaming site and it can be a pain in the arse.

The thing to remember is that most sites are privately owned, and as such, there is no "freedom of speech," but rather whatever the rules of the owner(s) state.

:)

evil_twin.jpg

are you trying to get us killed! Their everywhere

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I think, on a gaming forum that topics of religion and politics should be left well alone. They always end up as a flame war, get locked/deleted and no matter how much the members rave about their point of view it normally falls onto deaf ears, so nothing will ever change anyway.

Would you tell a mother, after just having survived a terrible car accident, that her husband and two children were killed?

If yes, would you tell them that they were smeared across 50 feet of pavement until they went over into a canyon?

Situations as this it's sensible to leave certain information like this. Doubtful they would ask for the full details of said incident.

I think, on a gaming forum that topics of religion and politics should be left well alone. They always end up as a flame war, get locked/deleted and no matter how much the members rave about their point of view it normally falls onto deaf ears, so nothing will ever change anyway.

I don't think of any of the political/religious threads to be people trying to make others believe what they believe, it is more of a "learn about your other forum members and their views." I like them, you learn more about people.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

**** all this ****ing bull**** mother****ing god damn **** sucking censorship. :thumbsup:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Sometimes it might be appropriate...( I'll avoid the message board part for now. :thumbsup:  )

Would you tell a failed suicide that the overdose ( of whatever ) just blew out his kidneys and he'll probably be on dialysis for the rest of his life.

Yes I'd tell her they were killed. Did she ask how badly they were mauled when they were killed? Because I'd tell her if she wants to know, but I wouldn't if she didn't ask. Censorship is about hiding things and making them unavailable. Giving out unnecessary info when its not asked for is not censorship.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'm a mod on a popular gaming site and it can be a pain in the arse.

The thing to remember is that most sites are privately owned, and as such, there is no "freedom of speech," but rather whatever the rules of the owner(s) state.

:thumbsup:

I was a mod on a site once (actually still am, which is why I've said in the past that I really really really don't want to be a mod at any other site... the job bites.. ok, there are other reasons, but that's the most relavent), and the golden rule there was close threads if you must or if you had to delete make sure to tell the poster why.

The reason was because otherwise people would complain about "abuse of power" and/or misunderstandings and hurt feelings would occur.

Hmmm.

Hmmm.

Hmmm.

Being a moderator does suck, it's a tireless, thankless job... but it gets harder when you strong arm it as someone who is upset about something is less likely to act in a rational or reasonable manner... and more likely to take it personally (which it rarely is)

The best motto for a mod: Be nice, until it's time to not be nice. (and even then handle that part in private)

Edited: additional thoughts

Edited by Darque

Being a moderator does suck, it's a tireless, thankless job...

Did you mean tiresome?

Anyway,

I think, the best way is when a mod is not seen. If you want to participate and mod at the same time, have an alt account. Even if people know that fact (better if they don't, of course) they won't take it as personal as if you engaged in the conversation with a mod account and then locked the thread. It is an emotional thing, but humans are mostly illogical beings.