The Useless Information Thread II

Rosbjerg

Hmm, right.  Bolzanos Theorem, a useless mathematical theorem:

For two real a  and b , a  < b , and a function f  that is continuous on a closed interval [a , b ] such that f(a)  and f(b)  are of opposite signs, there exists a number x0  belonging to the interval [a , b ] with f(x0) =0.

This basically means that if you have a continuous function (the graph of the function isn't "broken" anywhere) in 2 dimensions with one point below the x-axis and one point above the x-axis, then that function will cross the x-axis somewhere.  Hard to imagine huh?

Wow, the man was a real genius. :thumbsup:

sig2.gif

Hmm, right.  Bolzanos Theorem, a useless mathematical theorem

The theorem from the field of number theory which was considered to be useless for centuries is now a foundation for RSA cryptosystem.

... Hmm, glad to be back to these boards and see a new incarnation of my favorite thread :lol:

PS

And [DL's] signature's length is still abhorable.

*cough* I agree on that one

I have a theorem too.

For any point X, any other point that isn't at any point other than point X is at point X and is therefore point X.

When do I get my page at Wikipedia?

Upon the imaginary number system being revealed to me in high school (that's college to you yanks), I invented my own number system.

I'm still working out a lot of the details, but I'll share the main point here with you.

Just as the imaginary number system is based on

i = √-1

my number system is based on

r = log 0

∴ Natural log is r = ln 0

I christened it the ridiculous number system. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have a theorem too.

For any point X, any other point that isn't at any point other than point X is at point X and is therefore point X.

When do I get my page at Wikipedia?

Upon the imaginary number system being revealed to me in high school (that's college to you yanks), I invented my own number system.

I'm still working out a lot of the details, but I'll share the main point here with you.

Just as the imaginary number system is based on

i = √-1

my number system is based on

r = log 0

∴ Natural log is r = ln 0

I christened it the ridiculous number system. :D

My brain hurts seeing all of those damned formulae..

well this thread died out much sooner than the last .. ;)

oh well .. I'll collect the top 3 most useless pieces of Info and make a poll, thus pronouncing a winner of the title "most useless"

one last entry though - A rope woven from the hair of one person's head is strong enough to lift 10 cars.

from - Useless info page

edit- love this one .. hehe "A can of SPAM is opened every 4 seconds. "

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Ill contribute with this stunning piece of information:

J.R.R Tolkien "borrowed" most of his names for Bilbo from the ancient viking mythological text "Eddan". Most stand to find in the first song "v

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

It is mathematically possible to turn a sphere inside out without making any creases...I thought it was completely useless, even though I need to know how to do it for physics...

words are weightless here on earth

because they're free

I wonder when you forum monkeys will realise that I don't care what you think of my sig.  :devil:

DL

You tell 'em girlfriend. :)

Seeing Gabs call DL girlfriend is hot. Except one of them smells like cabbage.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)