Ban Please

Gabrielle

Actually the signal sent by the Emperor to indicate his desire that the gladiator should be shown mercy was to hold the hand out with the thumb pointing horizontally, inward; his displeasure and the ultimate death of the gladiator was indicated by the hand in the same position giving the same gesture, except that the thumb was held between the fingers.

I thought an outstretched fist with the thumb inside the fist was the sign of mercy, while a fist with the thumb pointed toward the throat indicated death. :huh:

I just read something to the contrary, today, otherwise I wouldn't be so sure. Hmmm. I shall perform a search ...

Here is someone backing up your interpretation (good tangential stuff about Darwin and nodding):

You probably think we make the thumbs-up gesture because that's what the Romans used to do when they wanted to spare a fallen gladiator, right? Wrong--that's a myth based on a succession of mistranslations. The truth is when the Romans were feeling merciful they hid their thumbs in their clenched fists (symbolically sheathing their swords, some historians believe). To have a guy offed they didn't turn thumbs down but rather extended their thumbs in a stabbing gesture.

...;

here is someone quoting Decimus Junius Juvenalis (Juvenal) to assert the exact opposite to the modern accepted idiom:

Our reverse interpretation of this custom apparently was the result of the work of the French artist L

Edited by metadigital

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, this thread has just been a steady stream of crap.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That reminds me of this joke I know...

Did I ever tell you guys the Aristocrats joke?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That reminds me of this joke I know...

Did I ever tell you guys the Aristocrats joke?

Best Joke Ever.

You really should perform the Aristrocrats Joke for these guys & gals, Pix...but then you might get banned so nm.

--

Event Horizon rules.

[ + 20 TOMBS : Gabrielle ]

:blink:

manthing2.jpg

I could tell them by PM.

Speaking of banning, whatever happened to Lawman?  Why did he get banned?  :lol:

WhhhhhhaaaaA?

Yes I am joking with you Kaftan/Authority.

WaaaWHAAAAAAAA!?!?

Hello Revan Solo! :lol:

Can't believe noone commented on this Jag, LOL. I gotta go dl the original, man that stuff was funny. :)

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I will immediately look into banning myself. I believe that a public servant should respect the will of the masses at all times.

Actually the signal sent by the Emperor to indicate his desire that the gladiator should be shown mercy was to hold the hand out with the thumb pointing horizontally, inward; his displeasure and the ultimate death of the gladiator was indicated by the hand in the same position giving the same gesture, except that the thumb was held between the fingers.

But this differs depending on which ancient historian you choose to read. In truth, we will never know which gesture indicated what.

..and did you know that one ancient historian wrote an account of Emperor Commodus's activities as a gladiator in which the emperor is said to have killed, among other things, 72 lions and 4 giraffes in one day :huh:

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

We still have not seen the Aristocrats-joke.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds