Brain washed kids

These are very strange people to read about.

My "prussian heritage" just laughed it's ass off (this is so ridiculous...this forum...they actually have a sister called Dresden, which is, you know, a town; like in "oh look, Nashville got her first tooth" [not to mention the trigger-happy-they-will-see-and-regret-attitude all around, their uncommon sense of history and their bewildering way of using the word "propaganda"]).

My knowledge (or should I say "knowledge") about Nazi-germany and the Holocaust shuddered and had to sit down because of a feeling of dizziness caused by the smiley and all the other craploads of crap.

My sense of german-history-responsibility had to blame the first one for laughing and then sat down next to the second one.

not that it's something new, but, hell, there is some stupidity in humankind

Edited by Nameless One

I found the meaning of the word "prussian blue" in conjunction with the "deathcamps never happened"-bul**** quite funny. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes there are different human races. Three major ones: Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Congoid subspecies.

There are different sets of recognisable facial features and skin pigmentations, but while 'race' has cultural meaning, it has no scientific basis.

Using your terminology, take two Mongoloids and a Caucasoid. How much of their DNA is shared, and how much is different? You might expect Mongoloid A to have more DNA in common with Mongoloid B than with the Caucasoid. However, it's actually equally likely that Mongoloid A shares more DNA in common with the Caucasoid. It's 50-50 (assuming that the two Mongoloids are not from the same small region with recent common ancestors). Therefore the idea of race is false. Common features or skin pigmentation are exactly that and nothing else, and there's no scientific reason for choosing these characteristics for classifying human beings rather than eye colour or the shape of the fingerprint on the left index finger. So race is a cultural idea, not a scientific one.

It is no longer politically correct to call them "African American".  If they come from Africa I guess you could, but the mojority of black people in the U.S. were born here (America).  I mean, there really shouldn't be any label put on anyone, but you shouldn't call them African Americans if they weren't born in Africa.  You wouldn't call someone of German of Irish herritage born in America "German American", or "Irish American," would you?

News to me, that 'African American' is 'out'. :blink: A sign of our vibrant and ever-changing language and cultures.

Also America is no longer a melting pot but a tossed salad. The cultures no longer get absorbed into one but complement each other in separate ways.

True multiculturalism, and something that I hope we can achieve here in the UK, too. There are places where it's working, but sometimes communities can end up too isolated from each other.

How many of you who are commenting on America actually live here?

An outside view is often useful and interesting.

Teenage girls are supposed to rebel against their parents' values, and I honestly can't think of anything better for them to rebel against. I hope they get started soon. :huh:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I dislike rebels who only rebel just because they can, folks should have respect for their elders and authorities.

Only thing the authorities ever did to me was a speeding ticket. :">

Edit. I love you Authority. :blink:

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

There are different sets of recognisable facial features and skin pigmentations, but while 'race' has cultural meaning, it has no scientific basis.

Using your terminology, take two Mongoloids and a Caucasoid.  How much of their DNA is shared, and how much is different?  You might expect Mongoloid A to have more DNA in common with Mongoloid B than with the Caucasoid.  However, it's actually equally likely that Mongoloid A shares more DNA in common with the Caucasoid.  It's 50-50 (assuming that the two Mongoloids are not from the same small region with recent common ancestors).  Therefore the idea of race is false.  Common features or skin pigmentation are exactly that and nothing else, and there's no scientific reason for choosing these characteristics for classifying human beings rather than eye colour or the shape of the fingerprint on the left index finger.  So race is a cultural idea, not a scientific one.

The term 'race' certainly has multiple meanings. I guess saying that we humans have different subspecies would be more accurate. As some one else mentioned, these classifications are already out of date since countless migrations have taken place since divergent evolution and these classifications were based on the geographical regions that are the various subspecies' area of evolutionary origin. As for the definitions of races culture wise, even those are getting blurry through interracial marriages. Maybe one day we could be truly free of prejudice based on race...

News to me, that 'African American' is 'out'. :)  A sign of our vibrant and ever-changing language and cultures.

'African American' is still the most used 'politically correct' term. I guess a newer and more accurate term 'American of African descent' is gaining popularity and perhaps would replace the former very soon.

I'm an American with European decent. But wait! Whay if you have decendents from Europe, Africa and American Indian?  :-"

Multiculturalism as Steve suggested?

American's an American. The Athenians had the metis, sure, but a citizen was a citizen was a citizen. Racial distinction doesn't much matter, but for the record I've never met a black dude who minded being referred to as black.

I think it a bit unfair to label race as a "cultural idea" simply because it's not a scientific one (and to be honest, I'd take issue with the idea that science=DNA evidence, as race as the term is often used nowadays has little to do with DNA and much more to do with appearance, and while it might have little place in a science like genetics, I think it has potential use in a science like psychology). When you're describing someone's appearance, starting with their race is a much better foundation on which to base your description than the type of fingerprint on the left index finger. Similarly, when pursuing a suspect, the police are much more likely to find "caucasian male wearing a red t-shirt" useful than "brown eyed man wearing a red t-shirt".

Race is also something which I think transcends cultures. (I imagine someone's already done the study which could conform or deny the hypothesis I'm about to make, but I wouldn't know where to look) I think that if you gave anyone in the world pictures of several people and asked them to seperate them into groups based on appearance, you'd find that they seperated those pictures into the same broad three categories that used to be officially accepted. We use appearance and categories to such an integral degree as humans no matter who we are or how we were brought up that I think calling the classification of individuals based on broad appearance groups a "cultural idea" is folly.

Subsequently assigning preconcieved notions of something other than appearance to these groups, such as inferior intelligence or immorality, on the other hand, certainly would be a cultural idea, as those notions would vary between cultures. I doubt that the groups themselves would, though.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I will never understand racism.  I mean there is only one race of sentient life on this planet and that is the human race.  A human is a human, regardless of pigmentation.

Most enlightened words I read all day, though I have only been reading this forum and an anime forum so...

I found one of their statements agreeable and (deliberately edited that way, or not) ironic:

... generally not having good quality white people being born. :huh:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It is no longer politically correct to call them "African American".  If they come from Africa I guess you could, but the mojority of black people in the U.S. were born here (America).  I mean, there really shouldn't be any label put on anyone, but you shouldn't call them African Americans if they weren't born in Africa.  You wouldn't call someone of German of Irish herritage born in America "German American", or "Irish American," would you?

LBJ would have called them "hyphen Americans" ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I found one of their statements agreeable and (deliberately edited that way, or not) ironic:

... generally not having good quality white people being born.  :-

Yeah so... how does one get "good eugenics"?

/me wants

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

... generally not having good quality white people being born.  ;)

Yeah so... how does one get "good eugenics"?

/me wants

Ray Kurzweil, in a recent New Scientist

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT