Civilization 4

god damn it. finally got it, loaded perfectly and everything was good to go. however, the lag is truly unbelievable. i have a amd2800, 1024mb RAM and a geforce fx5700 graphic card, so the requirements shouldn't be a problem.

everything is just so damn slow. it takes about 1,5 sec for a unit to respond to my commands. adjusting the settings doesn't help either. tried updating drivers and such, but to no avail.

BUHU!!!!!!! now i have to wait for a patch or something like that...

I've noticed that too. Unit acknowledgement does seem a little slow although it hasn't bothered me enough to keep me from playing. I played the American Revolution scenario last night until 6am. :">

god damn it. finally got it, loaded perfectly and everything was good to go. however, the lag is truly unbelievable. i have a amd2800, 1024mb RAM and a geforce fx5700 graphic card, so the requirements shouldn't be a problem.

everything is just so damn slow. it takes about 1,5 sec for a unit to respond to my commands. adjusting the settings doesn't help either. tried updating drivers and such, but to no avail.

Ooh, that sounds worryingly similar to my computer. How is it possible that I can play Fable and Vampire: The Masquerade fine, and have trouble with a turned-based strategy.

I hope this is a temporary problem.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Ooh, that sounds worryingly similar to my computer. How is it possible that I can play Fable and Vampire: The Masquerade fine, and have trouble with a turned-based strategy.

I hope this is a temporary problem.

exactly. games like doom3, age of empires 3, act of war etc all play just fine. in fact, better than fine. it looks like a lot of people with processors and geforce graphics card are having 'lag issues'...

a lot of complaints over at civfanatcs and apolyton... :blink:

won't play it. i don't accept half assed buggy games. especially the ones that suffer from severe 'lag issues'.  guess i'll return it tomorrow...

It's honestly not that bad. There is like half a second between pressing the button and the unit moving. :blink:

...more like a sec and it is annying as hell!

won't play it. i don't accept half assed buggy games. especially the ones that suffer from severe 'lag issues'.  guess i'll return it tomorrow...

It's honestly not that bad. There is like half a second between pressing the button and the unit moving. :blink:

You seem to be getting more lag that I am, but if it really is that much... I noticed that movement was sluggish although it didn't bother me enough to get me to stop. The game is still very playable although I'm a little more forgiving with Turn based games that have lag issues as it doesn't matter as much.

Are you getting lag at any other times or is it just the unit acknowledgement time?

You seem to be getting more lag that I am, but if it really is that much... I noticed that movement was sluggish although it didn't bother me enough to get me to stop. The game is still very playable although I'm a little more forgiving with Turn based games that have lag issues as it doesn't matter as much.

Are you getting lag at any other times or is it just the unit acknowledgement time?

the menus and such are all fine, but as soon as i start playing the game, everything slows down. menus, unit movement, etc. really, really need a patch...

the menus and such are all fine, but as soon as i start playing the game, everything slows down. menus, unit movement, etc. really, really need a patch...

Do you have anything running in the background? Antivirus or the like? Might explain general lagginess. Strange that your computer is overall better than mine but you are getting worse performance. :blink:

How bad is the lag?

I've been listening to the music on civ 4's official site and I really like it. What's the file format of the music that comes with the game?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

All of the music comes in MP3 format. :cool:

That's what I'm talking about!! :huh:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I've experienced both minor lag problems and strange graphical issues (I have a GeForce FX 5200 card), but nothing you can't overcome with some tinkering around. It really appears to drain a lot of memory, though, so you'll have to keep your sessions moderately short. When it comes to gameplay I've found it to feel a bit short. I reached the industrial era pretty quickly, and it feels like units become obsolete even faster than in previous Civs. :huh: I must admit that I haven't had a single war with more than the occasional skirmish, however, so that detracts a bit from time consumption. Overall it seems cool, but not quite what I'd hoped for.

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

I thought about buying it. I decided against it at the last minute, however. I'm going to wait until a friend comes over so I can test drive it for a couple of hours. If they didn't fall into the same stupid traps of Civ 3, then I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll just wait until it's in the bargain bin. Last time, Civ managed to take advantage of its reputation. Let's see if they can live up to Civ 1 and 2 in this installment.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!