Jack Thompson's Game

Background

I am really hoping Take Two makes a game like this, he hasn't really nailed all that much down. Even though he insists that the game start at the trial, not showing anything beforehand, you could certainly place flashbacks throughout the game, and it could be hilarious if done right.

Aside from the suggestions made in the comments in the link, I think it would be awesome to team up with and older Tommy Vercetti on at least one mission, and have Tommy say something along the lines of "Yeah, I was watching my newphew play one of those videogames the other day, gave me the creeps, I mean, I watched him beat a woman to death and take her money. What kind of monster does that?"

Presumably once the game had been made and the $10,000 prize awarded, he would immediately demand that the game be banned and every copy burned. And isn't $10,000 a bit extravagant? Surely the average computer game can't take more than $5000 to develop, $6000 tops.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It sounds to me this Aaron guy overreacted just a tad. I mean if he actually talked to the mods and staff of Obsidian in a civil tone I think more could have been accomplished than trying to threaten them with a lawsuit. I miss Adria though I never thought she and this Aaron guy was running a scam. Oh well, water under the bridge now I guess. :p

Oh, I posted this at that place. Jack needs to get a real job.

Mister Philip Wesley wrote "f you want to think of something, do you think people would be so mad at Jack Thompson if he were part of a minority? If this was Jesse Jackson, Aaron MacGruder, or someone else; would the outrage be so high? What if he was homosexual? Would that make him more or less offensive to people who disagree with him?"

Let me tell you something Mr. Wesley, human is human.  I don't care if he is white, black, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, gay, straight, or sometihng in between.  Human is human to me, and yes I think he is being stupid.  Rockstar and Take 2 are just game developers.  They make the games consumers want to play.  Its called captialism in case you didn't know.  If there is a market for something like GTA then something like GTA will exist.  Plain and simple.

The problem here does not lie with the game companies, developers or publishers.  The problem lies with parents who do not raise their own kids.  They expect the government, the schools, the media to take responsibility when it is not their's to take.  You have a kid, then raise the kid yourself.  Take responsibility.  Before you buy a game for your kid do research.  There is this thing called the internet.  Read the reviews, read ESRB label, and learn.  Be apparent about being a parent.

Jackie boy thinks that it is everyone else job to raise the kid but the parents and befor eyou say oh, I am a lone parent working full time.  Who freaking cares.  My mother was a single parent raising me by herself without any help from the government (no welfare for she has a stong work ethic which she taught to me), or from my deadbeat father.  She worked 45 to 60 hours a week and still kept control over where I was at, who I was hanging out with, what I was doing, and so forth.  A single parent.  Did we have some rough times?  yes, but we survive and got through them.

Parents need to raise their children and take responsibility for their actions and not seek blame on music, on games, on whatever that isn't themselves.  If your kid takes a gunand blows someone away in realtime that means YOU FAILED AS A PARENT and it is no one else fault but yours and the kid.  Not the government, not the schools, and not the game developers.

How come you say arse instead of ass? wher did you pick it up and do you emphasise the "r" in arse so as to make it aRRRRRse?

Jack Thompson is Aaron Lightblade's lawyer.

Arse is a very british expression.

Yes because an Ass is a relative of the donkey. Got to roll those R's :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Background

I am really hoping Take Two makes a game like this, he hasn't really nailed all that much down.  Even though he insists that the game start at the trial, not showing anything beforehand, you could certainly place flashbacks throughout the game, and it could be hilarious if done right. 

Aside from the suggestions made in the comments in the link, I think it would be awesome to team up with and older Tommy Vercetti on at least one mission, and have Tommy say something along the lines of "Yeah, I was watching my newphew play one of those videogames the other day, gave me the creeps, I mean, I watched him beat a woman to death and take her money.  What kind of monster does that?"

Only 10,000? He obsiviously doesn't know how much it takes to devolep a game.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Hahaha!

20051014l.jpg

Jack Thompson really did call him, but I should tell you how that came to be.

As I've suggested in this space before, Gabriel's "super power" (if you will) is to suss out the exact thing that will drive a person out of their ****ing minds. He's only utilized this ability on me twice, and it stings to recall them. They're actually too cruel to relate. It's important to me that you sort of like him, even in the abstract.

He felt certain that the over half a million dollars raised by Child's Play would jab him brutally. He was not wrong.

So certain was he that this knowledge would barb the codger into wild madness that he included his phone number in a hastily composed "sig." He was not surprised in the least when a number he did not recognize appeared on his cell. I was trying to collect the Iron Golem soul, I was busy at the time.

Gabe turned to look at me, not just with his head but his whole body, a single motion that had a mechanical look. He asked if it was really Jack Thompson, and it was at this point I knew he had done something wrong. I don't doubt that his adventures, both online and off, are a source of amusement for a percentage of the readership. Secretly, I delight in them - but he must not be allowed to know. His glee in these endeavors is already a kinetic force.

Conversation one is where Jack Thompson asks Gabe if Gabe has ever donated to charity. Of course, we have - it's usually a couple Gameboys a year for Child's Play, but the "take" from the distributed gamer metamind is over five hundred thousand dollars in two years. This answer did not satisfy him. He suggested that if Gabe mailed him again, he would be sued so fast that his head would "spin," and that he, Jack Thompson, had given more to charity that Gabe could even imagine. Gabe isn't very good at math, so he may have a point. I'm told that humbers larger than ten give him a headache. What's more, his donations were more valuable, because he wasn't some flush-with-cash game company. Which I guess is relevant to us, because... Well, I guess it's not relevant.

Then he hung up.

Usually when a person threatens us with a lawsuit we don't really pay attention. The fact of the matter is that rude people and idiots often try to threaten people by gesturing wildly at the edifice of the legal system. But this man is actually a lawyer, and also demonstrably crazy, and he apparently has time to call random people who mail him on the phone so maybe he's looking for something to do. In any case, we aren't a flush with cash game company, so at the very least my cohort wanted to excise this erroneous statement from the record.

This next mail elicited a second call, which we have detailed in the strip. Gabe's own voice rose triumphantly throughout this phase, I thought perhaps he was just getting into the rhetorical spirit of the thing, but the reality is that Jack screamed at him the entire time. The point he submitted went without answer: if a company made his reprehensible game, he would literally have to sue himself and talk about what a bastard he was on national television. Of course, he's not serious. Machination is too glorified a word for what he's doing. Ruse would make it seem debonair. He's essentially holding money hostage from charity, and if someone did make it, even as a joke, he would say that it didn't conform to his "design." This sort of thing is usually called a shell-game. The song license itself he mentions - Lawyers In Love - would probably run anywhere from ten to fifteen thousand by itself.

This vile "challenge" Jack Thompson has put to the supposedly monolithic "game industry" is like a topographical map of the twisted fantasy realm he inhabits. I could excerpt it, but I don't want to be accused of selective editing. The reality is that what he suggests is grotesque. I mean that it is literally disgusting. Of course, the violent acts he's cobbled together here from other games are robbed of a narrative context in which they make sense. Killing Gamestop and EB employees, though? That's not metaphor. He's not being metaphorical. He is bat**** ****ing loco insane.

In the games I play, I've spent the last week performing surgeries and saving lives - whenever I wasn't in court defending the wrongly accused. You know what I'm saying? Just steeped in subversive moral messages.

Also:

National Institute on Media and the Family distances itself from vociferous lawyer

Florida attorney and anti-videogame campaigner Jack Thompson has come under fire from America's National Institute on Media and the Family for claiming to have the support of the group in his regular open letters.

The decision of the group to distance itself from the attorney and his headline-grabbing tactics comes despite the fact that like Thompson, the institute is a vocal critic of games such as Manhunt and 25 to Life for their violent content.

The institute's founder, Dr David Walsh, wrote an open letter to Thompson, a copy of which was obtained by US website Game Politics. The letter was also sent to the likes of senator Hillary Clinton, Bill Gates and Doug Lowenstein of the ESA - the same Doug Lowenstein whom Thompson has previously compared to Hitler.

It begins with Dr Walsh explaining that he established the institute ten years ago "to engage in research and education about the effects of media on children's health and development." Walsh writes that one of the areas of most concern to the institute is the effects of violent media.

"I know that you share that common concern and I am well aware that you have frequently cited me and our organisation as a source of scientific information," Walsh continues.

"However, over the past few months, I and members of my board have a growing concern that your use of our name, without our permission, has had a negative influence as we try to educate the public on this important issue.

"Your commentary has included extreme hyperbole and your tactics have included personally attacking individuals for whom I have a great deal of respect... Some of the people that you have publicly criticised are not only people of integrity, but are people who have worked to improve the lives of children."

Walsh goes on to note that Thompson has been using his name in correspondence even though they have no formal relationship, creating the impression "That we condone these tactics. We do not.

"The result is that our position and reputation as a research based, non-partisan, solution-focused organisation has been jeopardised.

"Consequently, I ask that you cease using the institute's or my name in any way that would give the impression that we support your efforts." Walsh also requests that Thompson remove the link to the institute's website from his own site.

Walsh's letter comes just days after Thompson issued an open letter to the videogames industry in which he outlined his idea for a game where the CEO of fictional company Take This, Paula Eibel, is murdered along with her husband and children. Should any developer agree to make the game, Thompson will donate $10,000 to the charity of choice of Paul Eibeler, the CEO of Take Two.

Mike Krahulik, the artist behind popular gaming culture comic Penny-Arcade and a founder of the hugely successful Child's Play charity, contacted Thompson after he made this offer to point out that Child's Play has raised over half a million dollars for children's hospitals around the USA since its inception.

Commenting on Penny-Arcade.com, Krahulik reports that Thompson proceeded to call him directly - keen, no doubt, to congratulate such a successful fellow organiser of videogaming-related charity efforts.

Or perhaps not. "Jack actually just called and screamed at me for a couple minutes," Krahulik said. "He said if I email him again I will 'regret it'. What a violent man."

welll... to get his money sombody could make a game along his lines... but they don't have to have the protagonist win... and it could be in 8 bit form... and the protagonist dies with a mortal kombat Fatality... and Jack Thompson gets his brain blown out near the end (a part he will never see) and so on and so forth.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Also:

National Institute on Media and the Family distances itself from vociferous lawyer

Florida attorney and anti-videogame campaigner Jack Thompson has come under fire from America's National Institute on Media and the Family for claiming to have the support of the group in his regular open letters.

The decision of the group to distance itself from the attorney and his headline-grabbing tactics comes despite the fact that like Thompson, the institute is a vocal critic of games such as Manhunt and 25 to Life for their violent content.

The institute's founder, Dr David Walsh, wrote an open letter to Thompson, a copy of which was obtained by US website Game Politics. The letter was also sent to the likes of senator Hillary Clinton, Bill Gates and Doug Lowenstein of the ESA - the same Doug Lowenstein whom Thompson has previously compared to Hitler.

It begins with Dr Walsh explaining that he established the institute ten years ago "to engage in research and education about the effects of media on children's health and development." Walsh writes that one of the areas of most concern to the institute is the effects of violent media.

"I know that you share that common concern and I am well aware that you have frequently cited me and our organisation as a source of scientific information," Walsh continues.

"However, over the past few months, I and members of my board have a growing concern that your use of our name, without our permission, has had a negative influence as we try to educate the public on this important issue.

"Your commentary has included extreme hyperbole and your tactics have included personally attacking individuals for whom I have a great deal of respect... Some of the people that you have publicly criticised are not only people of integrity, but are people who have worked to improve the lives of children."

Walsh goes on to note that Thompson has been using his name in correspondence even though they have no formal relationship, creating the impression "That we condone these tactics. We do not.

"The result is that our position and reputation as a research based, non-partisan, solution-focused organisation has been jeopardised.

"Consequently, I ask that you cease using the institute's or my name in any way that would give the impression that we support your efforts." Walsh also requests that Thompson remove the link to the institute's website from his own site.

Walsh's letter comes just days after Thompson issued an open letter to the videogames industry in which he outlined his idea for a game where the CEO of fictional company Take This, Paula Eibel, is murdered along with her husband and children. Should any developer agree to make the game, Thompson will donate $10,000 to the charity of choice of Paul Eibeler, the CEO of Take Two.

Mike Krahulik, the artist behind popular gaming culture comic Penny-Arcade and a founder of the hugely successful Child's Play charity, contacted Thompson after he made this offer to point out that Child's Play has raised over half a million dollars for children's hospitals around the USA since its inception.

Commenting on Penny-Arcade.com, Krahulik reports that Thompson proceeded to call him directly - keen, no doubt, to congratulate such a successful fellow organiser of videogaming-related charity efforts.

Or perhaps not. "Jack actually just called and screamed at me for a couple minutes," Krahulik said. "He said if I email him again I will 'regret it'. What a violent man."

That's awesome.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The game was made... Jack didn't own up to his side of the bargin... but the guys at Penny did it for him

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.