Unfortunately, games aren't for nerds anymore

Ginthaeriel

Depends where you go. The Japanese are still as loopy about RPGs as they ever were. The release of Dragon Warriors VIII almost caused riots :)

What has changed is that more and more games are incorporating in RPG elements. Even games like FiFA now allow you to "create a character". So while in one respect there are less people playing RPGs (as in the traditional type) many more people are playing games with RPG aspects.

Perhaps Tiger Woods is the best example (I can currently think of) you may get your experience on the golf course, rather than the battlefield. But all the elements are there. Character creation, character growth and a level of customisation that puts many RPGs to shame.

Not that I've ever played one, but the wrestling games even add a career mode story with choices that affect the outcomes of your career. Which makes them even more RPG like.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

3. I disagree. I spent many weeks playing Civilization 2 games, involving days without sleep, and where a turn could take hours to complete. I read large books with tiny type, if the book is worth reading. I will play a game if it is enjoyable, even if it doesn't involve "unloading an MP5". And I don't believe I'm alone. Sure, we are becoming resource-rich and time-poor, but that doesn't preclude long, involved games.

Well that

Doom and gloom. Feels like the fall of -98 all again. Boohoo. :)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

RPG:Japan::FPS:US. It's about gaming demographics and the principle of mass entertainment, so even though Halo 2 might've been simply Halo 1 with a few more features, it will be touted as the next coming. The same is true for the Japanese and their RPGs.

There are doors

When there is a JRPG where I can make my own character instead of a preset model, name, and equipment, then there will be a JRPG worth playing.

Thats making less and less difference since RPGs have started to use such restrained backgrounds and storylines anyway. I'd agree about the names however thats a pretty recent thing which came along with full voicing(even in FFX you dont ever hear Tidus refered to by name). And given the choice between being called "The Exile" or "The chosen one" the whole game or having people address you by a name the latter feels much less artificial.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Thing is I want to bbe able to choose my own name, choose what skills I know and lear, choose what clothes, armor, and gear I use, and choose my gender and appearance. All in a nicely balanced game of story and exploration. Hell, the only FF game in which you have any real choice is that damnable MMORPG they made.

Edited by Hades_One

Thing is I want to bbe able to choose my own name, choose what skills I know and lear, choose what clothes, armor, and gear I use, and choose my gender and appearance.  All in a nicely balanced game of story and exploration.

I've never come across an RPG where you cant choose what equipment you use. It might be restricted, but your still able to choose it. Hang on Jade Empire didnt have any equipment. OK well thats one then.

I think the things are becoming so restricted anyway that choosing your appearence has become more of a triviality than a reqirement. I just picked the hottest model in Jade Empire and the game didnt come out any different than if there had only been a single character at the end of the day.

478327[/snapback]

It's scared me... When I say Call of duty, or Medal of Honor, or Command and Conquer and a jock says "I've played it"

Takes away my specialness :'(

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Okay, can Tidus use an Axe?  Nope.

Could the nameless one wear armour,use a longsword ? Nope.

Could your character in Jade Empire wear armour ? Again Nope.

Tidus can use a variety of swords though with upto 4 customisable options on each one. Customisable options range from instant death to petrification increased damage, faster AP gain, the list goes on and its a bloody long list let me tell you. Same goes for the armour too. :) And the quest for the celestial weapons is a doozy.

For customisable equipment it's one of the best. But customisable equipment tends to be at the core of JRPGs anyway.

Anyways if RPGs have a legacy it's that they have become part of almost every genere from FPS to Sport.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Those were aspect of JE and PST I hated to tell the truth.

I want my character to be able to use any weapon and any armor that he has training with and can get training to use any armor or weapon if he so chooses.

I get much more annoyed at games which appear to offer character freedom but are in fact just as straghtjacketed. The reason I dont worry about it when it comes to JRPGs is I know exactly what I'm getting and generally get a kick ass story and various enhanced gameplay aspects as a result.

In purely gameplay terms the number of variations you can make to the FFX weapons for example go way beyond what you would get by having extra weapon catagories per character.

478327[/snapback]

Thats making less and less difference since RPGs have started to use such restrained backgrounds and storylines anyway. I'd agree about the names however thats a pretty recent thing which came along with full voicing(even in FFX you dont ever hear Tidus refered to by name). And given the choice between being called "The Exile" or "The chosen one" the whole game or having people address you by a name the latter feels much less artificial.

This is an annoying trend, to be sure, but it's one that technology can address, and I'd really like to see some research into the area of procedural speech synthesis based on phonemes. See, it maybe very difficult for a computer to synthesize speech based on just text sentences because that'd require sophisticated natural language processing way beyond our current techniques. Yet, if the PLAYER were given the CHOICE of what phonemes to use for his/her name and how to inflect them, then it'd be pretty realistic to have a way of synthesizing the name from voice actor's pronouncation of phonemes. Course, there'd still be the problem of inflection with respect to the actual word of the name in sentences (ie if I say: Azarkon in an irritated manner it's very different from saying it in a neutral or happy context), but that maybe dealt with with some smart scripting and approximation.

I hope some company considers it, at least, in the future, instead of just following the general trend of making games more and more like choose-your-own-weapon movies.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors