Sony semi-reveals PS3 online plans

Epiphany

In the latest issue of OPM (The Official U.S. Playstation Magazine, not to be confused with PSM, which is an independent playstatin magazine), Sony states that they will not go the route of MS and have the online system made just like the one on the ps2. they say that it will be up to the developers to design the interface and everything, which will give more freedom to devs.

I think this online model sucks, and if it really is the way their online service is going to be, will give the X360 a serious online advantage, far more than what they would have had if Sony had tried to copy Xbox Live.

The only truth I can find to this from developers is the fact that every developer questioned about online content has said the X360 offers vastly superior online support. I always just figured it was because Sony was a step behind and trying to copy Xbox Live from the Xbox, instead of MS' new model for the X360. Now it points more towards the fact that Xbox Live has evolved and Sony has chosen to leave their online content void of a unified system.

If Sony's idea of online is similar to what we see in the PC community, then i'm all for it(free?).

Xbox Live is something that i'll never accept, i refuse to pay for a service, which is free on the PC-side.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If Sony's idea of online is similar to what we see in the PC community, then i'm all for it(free?).

Xbox Live is something that i'll never accept, i refuse to pay for a service, which is free on the PC-side.

I think $50 a year is a great price for the service you get with Live. It's not just "PC online gaming", it's an entire closed system, with voice service, text serivce, everyone on a mic ready to talk, buddy lists, Live aware, tracking systems, and DL content. Added next gen, there will be video chat, and the GUI will be far more expanded, including stat tracking and feedback.

Granted, most all of these can be found on the PC, but in order to take advantage of them, you have to get everyone on the "same page", with the Live environment, you can meet random people, and instantly have access to all these features with them.

While it may not be your thing, it's a solid system, that is, in my opinion, the best online model ever created. I look forward to when MMORPG's explode on it, and all these features will carry into them.

I think $50 a year is a great price for the service you get with Live. It's not just "PC online gaming", it's an entire closed system, with voice service, text serivce, everyone on a mic ready to talk, buddy lists, Live aware, tracking systems, and DL content. Added next gen, there will be video chat, and the GUI will be far more expanded, including stat tracking and feedback.

Granted, most all of these can be found on the PC, but in order to take advantage of them, you have to get everyone on the "same page", with the Live environment, you can meet random people, and instantly have access to all these features with them.

While it may not be your thing, it's a solid system, that is, in my opinion, the best online model ever created. I look forward to when MMORPG's explode on it, and all these features will carry into them.

Live is good for the Xbox, no question about that. I see no use for it since, as you already stated, the same services are already available on the PC. That's why i'm interested in what Sony and Nintendo has to offer as an alternative (hopefully not as half-assed as you put it).

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Live is good for the Xbox, no question about that. I see no use for it since, as you already stated, the same services are already available on the PC. That's why i'm interested in what Sony and Nintendo has to offer as an alternative (hopefully not as half-assed as you put it).

I didn't claim it was "half ass", I simply pointed out that the mag stated that Sony clarified it would be like the PS2 online model, which in my opinion, sucks. It has no additional features to bring console gamers together, and it's completely up to the developers on how their online presentation works, which means you'll have some good, and some incredibly bad interfaces.

Many of the PS3 fans were really looking forward to a "Live clone" for the PS3, and on the IGN PS3 forum, they aren't very excited about this news. I applaud your optimistic approach to this, but the simple fact of the matter is, the PS2 online model was grossly inferior to Xbox Live, and if this report is, in fact, true, then the PS3 online service will fall drastically short in quality compared to the next gen Live service.

I look forward to see what Nintendo does with their online plan though, as they were so dead set against online gaming this gen. My gut tells me they'll probably botch it, as N always seems to dismiss or screw over at least one major aspect of gaming the past two generations. But, as always, I'll wait and see how it pans out.

Edited by Epiphany

Microsoft is trying to make money from people needing patches for their games. That sucks, plain and simple. No matter what Nintendo or Sony comes up with; as long as it's free, it's better than Microsoft's greedy online service.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Microsoft is trying to make money from people needing patches for their games. That sucks, plain and simple. No matter what Nintendo or Sony comes up with; as long as it's free, it's better than Microsoft's greedy online service.

What an utterly retarded statement. Out of the hundereds of DL content games on Live, and the hundereds more that have access to Live through the interface, none have ever recieved a patch like a PC game required. It is in the policy to not allow patching over the Live service, or for Xbox games in general. Otherwise, many games out there would be better, such as Advent Rising.

Content updates for new playmodes on Live, fixing cheating and whatnot are not patches to the game that cause a game to go from broken to fixed in a single player experience.

It's amazing how ignorant people can be on the subject of Live, and the services it offers. It's $50 a year (~$4.17 a month) for the current service, if you don't take advantage of the free trials in every Live aware and up game. On the next-gen live there are two services, one free and the other requires the fee. The free one gives you access to all content downloads and MMORPG services. Guess that shatters your "pay to patch" theory...

:thumbsup:

And the retards actually keep paying $50 a year for stuff that's free on basically every other system out there.. Except for greedy Microsoft systems.

Oh yeah, and "content updates" are sooo much different from patches.. Geez, get your head out of Microsoft's rectum already. Same crap, different name.

And finally about the 'new' Xbox Live! service (what a misleading name..):

And the retards actually keep paying $50 a year for stuff that's free on basically every other system out there.. Except for greedy Microsoft systems.

Oh yeah, and "content updates" are sooo much different from patches.. Geez, get your head out of Microsoft's rectum already. Same crap, different name.

Content updates - new levels, models, characters, weapons etc... patches = bug fixing.

Anyway, this is my last response to you, you're too uninformed, and it could become aggrivating trying to educate you on the subject.

And finally about the 'new' Xbox Live! service (what a misleading name..):

It is in the policy to not allow patching over the Live service, or for Xbox games in general.  Otherwise, many games out there would be better, such as Advent Rising.
Content updates - new levels, models, characters, weapons etc... patches = bug fixing.

So basically you're saying that you're paying for patches doesn't fix your broken games, but adds new characters instead? Retarded.

Yeah, you go and "educate" on some other board, as you always do whenever your arguments are shot to pieces.

The 360's online play is free.  :-"

No, to game online against other people (like Halo, or Perfect Dark Zero) will require the gold membership, which is a fee based service ($50 a year). The silver membership offers most of the other features, but should also allow access to MMORPG games, like FFIX for example, since games like those do not use the Live service.

The original plans for next gen Live was to allow Silver membership gaming access on weekends, or special days. I believe that's not going to happen.