China renews their crackdown on the internet

kumquatq3

Just, you know, on the off chance that the bastards planning to nuke an American city don't know how wind direction affects nuclear fallout...we should minimize the level of detail we put into our public information regarding the subject...

Then again, its just a thought.  :rolleyes:

On the other hand, they could...oh, I dunno, read a book about Chernobyl, and have all they need to know.

Both are easily accessed. The internet, nowadays, is more readily available to terrorists. They even have their own damn sites. And not all small islamic countries have libraries around the block. (Though the same could be argued against the internet...still, Al Jazeera has a site...so, access)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Just, you know, on the off chance that the bastards planning to nuke an American city don't know how wind direction affects nuclear fallout...we should minimize the level of detail we put into our public information regarding the subject...

On the other hand, they could...oh, I dunno, read a book about Chernobyl, and have all they need to know.

Both are easily accessed. The internet, nowadays, is more readily available to terrorists. They even have their own damn sites. And not all small islamic countries have libraries around the block. (Though the same could be argued against the internet...still, Al Jazeera has a site...so, access)

I wasn't aware one could carry out a nuclear attack on a city in the United States without ever leaving one's small islamic country. I would have thought that a terrorist cell planning on carrying out an attack would spend time living in the country they attacked. A bit like just about every other cell that carried out a major attack did. :ermm:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Oh ya because of 9/11 you can no longer look at satelite pics on mapquest...

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

bhuddism is one of the oddest religions I've ever seen. they claim to not worship bhudda but they practically try to pray on his bones... they are the most hypocritical of the religions behind Chritianity.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Thats a great generaliztion about a belief you apparently don't practice

And ya that "buddha" is hot. Notice her lack of being a fatty

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

It is a fundamental problem that many business leaders do not act as if they believe in any values other than profit - from which I conclude that they don't really have values other than profit - no matter what they say. That certainly fits with the strange expression used by some folks that "greed is good".

I got a mailing from Morgan Stanley crowing about their historical record of patriotism, giving as an example their advanced support for America's efforts in WW I even before America entered the war!

What they should have said was that JP Morgan worked hard to get the US into WW I and to get us in on the side of the Brits and the French because he thought it would be good for his business.

I am convinced that we could find many examples of US companies using overseas slave or near slave labor or contracting with other companies who they know use such labor.

Certainly it would not be hard to find examples where US businesses have directly or indirectly exploited labor, stolen property, and had people killed who got in their way.

I wonder if the war in Iraq might even be an example of that? By the way, I wonder if US and UK interests are working with the Kuwatis to slant pump from Iraqi oil reserves?

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

I wasn't aware one could carry out a nuclear attack on a city in the United States without ever leaving one's small islamic country. I would have thought that a terrorist cell planning on carrying out an attack would spend time living in the country they attacked. A bit like just about every other cell that carried out a major attack did. :ermm:

Ok, so I'm an idiot. Sorry :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

bhuddism is one of the oddest religions I've ever seen. they claim to not worship bhudda but they practically try to pray on his bones... they are the most hypocritical of the religions behind Chritianity.

Religions are not, generally, hypocritical (barring revisions going against past dogma, ie Old Testament vs. New Testament). Those who practice them, however, often can be.

As far as the China relative morality thing goes, I have a feeling that the government is making a power move, counting on the fact that most Chinese citizens are quite content with economic progress and as such wouldn't criticize the deterioration of internet liberties. On the surface, the acceptance of the restriction points out to a culture of submission to authority, but then again, have we ever considered the idea that China may in fact be dominated by a majority of nationalistic conservatives?

In this respect, the US making a fuss would be quite like the kettle calling the pot black. Certainly, there are different degrees of freedom allowed between the two countries, but in the end, neither care enough about freedom to sacrifice national well-being. And since these two countries are set to become the superpowers of our time, the future remains one of corporate dominance and foolish nationalism.

There are doors

One could certainly argue that Old Testament vs New Testament isn't hypocritical. Salvation was assured through a sacraficial lamb in the Old Testament and New Testament alike. In both cases, God asked you to be good, but forgave you if you weren't.

Buddhism seems to be contradictary because there are so many vastly different forms of it.

One could certainly argue that Old Testament vs New Testament isn't hypocritical.  Salvation was assured through a sacraficial lamb in the Old Testament and New Testament alike.  In both cases, God asked you to be good, but forgave you if you weren't.

Buddhism seems to be contradictary because there are so many vastly different forms of it.

How come nobody sacrifices lambs in churches anymore?

If we skip all the heathen burning and polygamy parts of the Old Testament, sure :D

Nonetheless, you are right in the sense that the Old vs. New Testament is much less disjoined than the body of Buddhist doctrine, due to the fact that the Old Testament was in fact integrated within the New Testament by theocrats. Buddhism, on the other hand, spread from India to the rest of the world in a much less official manner. As opposed to a legion of trained missionaries, Buddhism, by its natural lack of a intermediary authoritative figure such as the priest/preacher, tended to be much more open to interpretation, and many cultures simply made up their own version.

There are doors

If we skip all the heathen burning and polygamy parts of the Old Testament, sure :D

The Bible says that when your brother dies, you take care of his wife and family. It never says polygamy is fine in the eyes of God.

It does however say you can see your daughter into sexual slavery.

Levitical Law should really just be taken out of the Bible. If you read the first five books of the Bible, you see a story of God talking directly to God, and man distancing himself by asking for a King, wanting Priests, laws, formalized religion, etc.

There is no real indication that Levitical Law is the Law of God, but more so really the Law of Ancient Judaism and somewhat the Law of Modern Judaism.

Incidently everyone, the Buddha was,

A.  Indian;

B.  A Man;

C.  Non-Fatty.

Nice try though. :thumbsup:

All good points

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

'Buddha' is only a title. Any person can achieve the rank by having perfect understanding of the truth.

Siddhartha is the grand Buddha (might not be the actual term in English) who not only attained understanding of life for himself but also capable of teaching all about the religion.

There are many Buddhas in Buddhism (that woman is one :thumbsup: ) but only one grand Buddha.

Edited by julianw