PC Interface Issue

Ive just got this game for the PC after finishing the first one, which was great, but i must question the interface. :o

I played KOTOR 1 with a screen resolution of 1280x1024, and the menu screen was displaying in 800x640, so the game wasnt "stretched" whenever you entered the menu. However when you were in the game, all the icons such as the map in the top left hand corner of the screen were smaller, which was great.

The problem is that in KOTOR 2, i select 1280x1024, but the game menu and the in game play are "stretched". this means that all the icons on the screen, like the map in the top left hand corner are now Large, bulky and take up half my screen! also the charecters, especially T3 M4, look bigger than in KOTOR 1!

I was hoping there was a way to make the scale of the interface like KOTOR 1, but more so that you understand what im on about. The only thing stopping me from playing KOTOR 2 is this screen issue, as it is sore for my eyes :- . I hope to show screenshots comparing the two, if you can do that on these forums.

I have an unpatched version of the game, but ive read the patch readme files and it dosnt note this issue. I tried "Set Small Text=1" or some command like that in the .ini file but the game wont even open. Any help will be smashing :D

Cheers

Side Note: Personally from what ive seen so far, i prefer KOTOR 1 PC Interface to KOTOR 2, as the KOTOR 2 PC interface is the same as Xbox's

Here are the differences in the interface sizes at 1280x1024 between kotor1 and kotor2 :ph34r:

post-14734-1127492576_thumb.jpg

post-14734-1127492640_thumb.jpg

post-14734-1127492686_thumb.jpg

post-14734-1127492719_thumb.jpg

I hope this explains what i meant in my earlier post. i would like to make my interface for KOTOR 2 have the same scale as it does in KOTOR 1 (especially the menu, cos at the moment its a sore for my eyes :lol: ), as the differences can be seen in the screenshots (hopefully they are attached), showing KOTOR 2s interface being too bulky ingame.

Cheers :)

Post this thread on Holowan Laboratories with screens. Only these guys can help you fix the issue.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

No it is a bug. Live with it.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

The battle icons and area maps look very, very clumsy in 1280x1024 so I still think it is a bug. OE should have made different icons and maps for each resolution, not just use 800x600 ones for all resolutions.

IMO big interface is useless if it cover up the action screen.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

The battle icons and area maps look very, very clumsy in 1280x1024 so I still think it is a bug. OE should have made different icons and maps for each resolution, not just use 800x600 ones for all resolutions.

IMO big interface is useless if it cover up the action screen.

"OE should have made different icons and maps for each resolution, not just use 800x600 ones for all resolutions."

They did. That's what you fail to understand. Bio didn't, they were lazy.

Listen to your fellow forum-member;

As said BioWare used a FIXED 800x640 (or even 640x480) HUD for all resolutions.

OE actually made HUD's for each Resolution...

Interface in 1200x1024 uses resized 800x600 maps and icons.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Wow, thanx for all the input, i didnt have the foggiest what was happening. Whether this is a bug or a feature, i guess i will have to live with it, shame tho :(, tho i might try some more.

btw What or where is "Holowan Laboratories"?

*QUOTE(Sarjahurmaaja. @ Sep 23 2005, 08:12 PM)

"OE should have made different icons and maps for each resolution, not just use 800x600 ones for all resolutions."

They did. That's what you fail to understand. Bio didn't, they were lazy.*

Even if they were lazy, it made the HUD look Better! looks like being lazy can be better than working hard in some cases :wacko:"

"Even if they were lazy, it made the HUD look Better!"

Sure, it might look better but it sure doesn't work as well. It's practically impossible to keep track of your party's HP in K1 without pausing the game, for example.

maybe, but from what ive herd/read, this game seems easy enough. Besides in KOTOR 1 i got to the stage where i was almost invincible, Jolee and lightning make a pefect couple :wacko:

it may be practical like it is now, but KOTOR 1 was much better visually

Besides, I think Obsidian were the lazy ones, not BioWare. The HUD for KOTOR 2 PC & Xbox are identical, whereas KOTOR 1 PC & Xbox were different :cool:

Besides, I think Obsidian were the lazy ones, not BioWare. The HUD for KOTOR 2 PC & Xbox are identical, whereas KOTOR 1 PC & Xbox were different  :cool:

my thoughts exactly. I kind of liked the fact that the PC and Xbox versions had unique heads-up displays. But although, I grew quite acustomed to the HUD in KotOR, it only took me a little while to get used to the HUD in KotOR 2 and after a while I started to like it and it was really weird going back to playing KotOR 1 because everything was bigger in KotOR 2. Right now I'm playing KotOR 1 after playing through KotOR 13-14 times, I figured I'd play KotOR 1 for the 14th time. It's been over 7 months since I've played and I'm telling you I'm still not quite used to it and I'm already past Dantooine. I'm not even used to having the Rapid Transit, yet. While I absolutely love KotOR 1, being my favorite game of "all time," I still wish the display was a little bit bigger. It doesn't cause as much eye strain. The HUD in KotOR 2 is easier on the eyes, literally...but I guess I do like seeing more of the screen in KotOR 1. There need to be a balance in KotOR 3...if there ever is one.

I think you're right, i might just need to get used to the ingame icons being large, but one thing that i still find annoying is the menu screen size. At 1280x1024, the text and icons are so small for the items page and the objectives page, but then the pictures of the team members on the team selection page and the light/dark alignment page are huge! I wish they were consistent with this, its an eye sore!

I think you're right, i might just need to get used to the ingame icons being large, but one thing that i still find annoying is the menu screen size. At 1280x1024, the text and icons are so small for the items page and the objectives page, but then the pictures of the team members on the team selection page and the light/dark alignment page are huge! I wish they were consistent with this, its an eye sore!

exactly. it's not an eyesore in the sense that it's ugly. it's an eye sore because it, well, makes your eyes sore. Someone REALLY needs to come up with a mod that fixes it. Someone, anyone. anyone that know HOW to make a mod, which I don't.