Game Length

alanschu

Coming from someone who has his XFIRE logged with many many WoW hours; please explain. I'm confused. 

I don't really consider WoW in the same way as a single player game. It's a social experience for me, simply a nice looking place where I can chat with my friends. Also, when I complete a quest, or get a cool item, or reach a new level in a MMORPG there is a different sense of accomplishment. It's hard to explain, but I think it's because I can socially share those accomplishments within the actual game world.

In a single player game I don't get that same feeling when I level or get a cool item. I only get that sense of accomplishment when I push the story forward, but if I feel like the story has stalled or it's just taking too long, I have the habit of giving up. I also don't have many friends to discuss these games with except online, and my wife definitely is tired of hearing about my quests to save the universe, so the story really needs to absorb me to keep me interested.

Thing is when I play computer and console games I do so because I want to be alone. When I game with people I do so PnP style. MMORPGs and games like NWN are worthless to me. I play CRPGs like one who reads a 400 to 1000 page novel. A game needs to have a solid and long single player game in order for it to be worth my time and money.

It sounds like we are coming from the same place, HadesOne, except I don't have a PnP group, and so I'm forced to rely on MMORPG's for a social game.

NWN is a bit different though, because there is a huge wealth of solid single player mods out there. The original campaign was pretty bad, but it's proven to be a very good tool. Sure, these mods are usually short in length, but that's because they are free and made by one or two people. Also, there are quite a few NWN communities that have done thier best to recreate a real PnP feel.

Coming from someone who has his XFIRE logged with many many WoW hours; please explain. I'm confused. 

I don't really consider WoW in the same way as a single player game. It's a social experience for me, simply a nice looking place where I can chat with my friends. Also, when I complete a quest, or get a cool item, or reach a new level in a MMORPG there is a different sense of accomplishment. It's hard to explain, but I think it's because I can socially share those accomplishments within the actual game world.

In a single player game I don't get that same feeling when I level or get a cool item. I only get that sense of accomplishment when I push the story forward, but if I feel like the story has stalled or it's just taking too long, I have the habit of giving up. I also don't have many friends to discuss these games with except online, and my wife definitely is tired of hearing about my quests to save the universe, so the story really needs to absorb me to keep me interested.

Fair enough, and excellent answer. I am un-confused. :thumbsup:

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Thing is when I play computer and console games I do so because I want to be alone.  When I game with people I do so PnP style.  MMORPGs and games like NWN are worthless to me...

Huh?

NWN is entirely about playing PnP style, PWs aside.

And you yourself have played many a game on Neverwinter Connections, if memory serves. Their site is down at the moment or I'd bring up your profile there.

Feel free to steal this sig.

In the end they are still just mods.  I didn't spend my money to play mods.  In any case Bioware has improved a bit since NWN but still have not returned not BG2 quality.

Of course they're mods. When you buy NWN2 you buy the official single player campaign and the right to use the engine that can support other game mods which usually turn out to be better than the official campaign.

Valuing NWN2 solely on the SP campaign is silly because it obviously opens up the potential for many future game mods with probably good content. Ignoring that would be like saying a DVD player's not worth buying because you'll only get to watch the bundled DVDs that come with the sale.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Hi guys

If you want to play a long HC game, play my NWN mod:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3799

And if it's not enough, you should wait for the sequel which will be even longer, around 100-150+ hours (after ten months of hard work I'm at about 80 percent)

The first one lacks henchman interaction, the sequel will feature it.

TH1 has 157,000+ words of convo, the sequel already has 200,000+ and is growing.

If you have problems while playing, just drop me a mail. Info on the vault page.

Have a good time.

Hey SubBassman,

Just wanted to say your mod looks very interesting, although the main area of the first town seems to be too much for my old PC so it keeps crashing. I'm going to try it on my main rig, it should work but do you have any tips in case?

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Hi Jumjalum

"I'm going to try it on my main rig, it should work but do you have any tips in case?"

Yeah, TH1 requires a powerful machine. Although the sequel features more areas, more NPCs and stuff, I've taken care of several speed issues and it's more playable on an average machine.

I hope you'll enjoy the game. >_<

If you're stuck, send me a mail or post your questions in the topic of the mod.

Zoli

Huh?

NWN is entirely about playing PnP style, PWs aside.

And you yourself have played many a game on Neverwinter Connections, if memory serves.  Their site is down at the moment or I'd bring up your profile there.

I played one campaign in NWNConnections and while it was fun it still online gameplay and I just overall don't like it. I kept an open mind and gave it a try, but if I am going to play with people it will be face to face only.

Of course they're mods.  When you buy NWN2 you buy the official single player campaign and the right to use the engine that can support other game mods which usually turn out to be better than the official campaign.

Valuing NWN2 solely on the SP campaign is silly because it obviously opens up the potential for many future game mods with probably good content.  Ignoring that would be like saying a DVD player's not worth buying because you'll only get to watch the bundled DVDs that come with the sale.

I value a game based on what the developers and publishers put into both prior and post release. If the companies are known for great support of games post release that makes me want to buy the game even more. If not, I usually wait several months and see what support it will get. If I was still PC gaming I would wait about 6 months before getting NWN 2 for Obsidian and Atari have a poor history of supporting their games.

As for mods putting value on something that has a great deal of uncertainty such as is stupid. You said with "probably good content" and I prefer not to deal with probabilities, only certainties. Your analogy is false. With a DVD player I can buy more and more DVDs to add to my collection and the DVDs are done by professional manufacturers, and created by companies who strive to make a product worth buying. They have a financial risk and thusly motivated to release the best product possible. Mods are done by amateurs to support their chosen game to mod. They are not developers, not publishers, not a company with financial backing, just simple modders.

I will judge NWN 2 as I have judge Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Icewind Dale, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Nights 1, Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 2, and so forth and so on. I will judge NWN 2 on its own merits as I have on all games that I have played. No more and no less.