ESRB!

alanschu

Ohh, hurt ego?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I actually really like the term Hurlshotian logic. I plan on using it often.

My point is, I'm not saying there aren't many games coming out of Europe, I'm saying there aren't as many major games coming out of Europe in comparison to the US. Each year there are maybe 6-12 major games that come out. I don't just mean big budget titles, but games that sell well and are able to capture the attention of the media. You can go ahead and name a few important European titles, but the fact is the US and Japan dominate this. You haven't given me anything that compared to the impact of Doom, Ultima, Madden, Half-Life, Fallout, Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Kings Quest, GTA...the list goes on.

Tomb Raider is the only one you've mentioned that really captured that upper platform of gaming.

Blizzard North was located in Northern California. I'm not sure if that is really Europe, although, Santa Cruz is a bit out there. I agree that Rockstar North, which originally developed Lemmings and is based in Scotland, is an outstanding developer. But you still aren't listing enough to challenge the US in terms of PC developed games.

Madden sells huge. It doesn't matter that it doesn't sell huge internationally. It makes a ton of money.

I wonder if the US games industry is like the movie industry in attracting foreign skilled workers to go there. How many people working in US game developers and publishers are non-US citizens?

When comparing the US and European gaming industries, it's important to remember that there are many games that succeed in Europe, or parts of Europe, that are barely noticed in the US or not even released there. That doesn't mean that they're poor quality, though some are, just that the developers didn't think they'd sell in the US, or lacked a publisher willing to promote the games. The Longest Journey barely sold in the US, I believe - it's getting its sequel on the back of European sales mostly, and it's a great game.

No-one can challenge the US - it's probably the world leader, though Japan may have that title, I'm not sure. But there are plenty of games developers elsewhere, and they don't always care about cracking the US market if they sell well and make a profit in their own countries.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

"Blizzard North was located in Northern California."

Really? Right, now I'm wondering why I was thinking it had something to do with Ireland.

"Madden sells huge. It doesn't matter that it doesn't sell huge internationally. It makes a ton of money."

Probably so do the tons of Korean MMOs we never hear about it. Do they count?

Please, refer back to Lord Tingeling's post and read it over and over 'till you understand that your argument was, in fact, totally retarded.

edit: Also, could someone explain me why Mr. Shot started this dickwaving contest?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

I started this because people were bashing the US. I'm simply defending the fact that many good things come out of America, even if there is a strong conservative political bent. I also stated the US is a country of contrasts because despite the prominent right wing society, there is also a pretty strong liberal movement as well, and a ton of stuff in between. You say my argument is retarted, and yet you've made no effort to show me why that is so. Clearly I didn't get Lord Tingelings argument, so telling me to reread it is pretty worthless. Perhaps YOU should be the one to go back and read the threads.

"I started this because people were bashing the US."

Bashing the retarded censorship. If this isn't a case of misplaced nationalism at its finest, I don't know what is.

I mean, seriously? People are saying the censorship is ridiculous. You come in here saying "OH BUT WE GOT LOTS OF GOOD STUFF, REALLY". Yeah, okay, how the hell does that have anything to do with your retarded censorship?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Sarjahurmaaja.

Bashing the retarded censorship. If this isn't a case of misplaced nationalism at its finest, I don't know what is.

Battlewookie wrote:

Stupid Americans who have no idea of games, so they just blame everything on it...

I seriously doubt you actually read these threads, Sarhurmaaja. My first post dealt with contrasts in the US. It was in response to Battlewookie's post. All my later posts have been about why European game developers have yet to rival US and Japanese. I'm speaking about the cultural impact of the games, so it's no use listing off quality European games. The US has made more inroads in gaming than Europe.

I wrote:

I just don't like blanket statements about what crap America is. We have problems, we have a lot of people on the right and left of the political spectrum, and we have religious zealots that argue with overboard athiests. But you still buy our crap, so get over it.

It's not misplaced nationalism. People bash the US all the time. I choose to defend it, just like you seem to be defending all of Europe.

I'd say Battlewookie's remark is about the people who believe this **** Jack Thompson & Co spew.

"All my later posts have been about why European game developers have yet to rival US and Japanese."

Which, I presume has much to do with the retardedness of your censorship, or ESRB?

"It's not misplaced nationalism. People bash the US all the time. I choose to defend it, just like you seem to be defending all of Europe."

It's misplaced. It doesn't belong in here, in this thread.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

People obviously don't understand what censorship is, so let me clarify.

If somone decides to rate something, they are expressing their opinion of that. And if a chain of stores decides they don't care to carry a certain product, they have that right.

That is not censorship.

Censorship would be the government keeping that product out of your hands, which they don't do.

If Wal-Mart won't carry the next GTA, then so be it. It will still sell like hotcakes. And you still are able to purchase it elsewhere.

Ah, for the love of peace.

I generally prefer poopsocking in WoW to writing long posts on these forums, but for you and your almost comical inability to stay on target I'll make an exception once I've catched the bus, Hurlshot.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I've already explained why I made my original post. It was off-topic. Thank goodness you've shown me a shining example of how to stay on-topic Sarjahurmaaja. But at least I've been trying to explain my posts. You've just spewed insults. I've yet to hear an explanation for Lord Tingeling's Presidential post, which seemed to start this whole off-topic discussion all over again.

Lord Tingeling has made some vague promise about an upcoming explanation...I guess he's trying to seem presidential.

Please, refer back to Lord Tingeling's post and read it over and over 'till you understand that your argument was, in fact, totally retarded.

edit: Also, could someone explain me why Mr. Shot started this dickwaving contest?

That's pretty insulting. And yet you've made know attempt to explain Lord Tingelings post.