The 4 Defining Aspects of...

Archmonarch

This is another thread asking for a slight amount of help with my novel. Do not feel obligated to participate in any way.

A basic premise of my book is that there are three parts to each soul: the mono (animal) soul, the human soul, and the kami (god) soul. I was wondering if anyone could help me with dividing these three into four defining aspects each.

My current list is:

Mono

• Instinct
  • Will
  • Need
  • Equilibrium

Human

• Desire
  • Reason
  • Passion
  • Arrogance

Kami

• Temperance
  • Transcendence
  • Mutability
  • Faith

Any alterations you would suggest?

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Not sure I like Equilibrium in mono. Do animals strive for balance? Not really, it just works out that way.

I'd maybe say "Selfishness" or "Curiosity"

But I'm not sure if mono is supposed to be an individual or more like nature as a whole.

Well to give a little more background, originally humans possessed all three souls, then as a result of some apocalyptic goings-on, the three parts were divided. The majority of humans were left with only the human soul and limited parts of the mono, as humans are animals. Small groups were left with additional remnants of the others, granting them certain abilities. The left over mono and kami souls fused in various combinations to form magical/mythical beasts, spirits, fey, that kind of thing.

Also, Id say selfishness was more of a human trait. Animals are not selfish to be selfish. They just focus on their own needs. Also, what I meant by equilbrium was that every creature on this planet, exluding man, forms an inherent balance with its environment.

I find it kind of sad

Loyalty and compassion as God traits.

I'd say that animals do not know balance. Most will eat anything they can lay their jaws on, and in as great quantities as possible. The predators certainly don't practice anything except opportunity consumption.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Also, Id say selfishness was more of a human trait. Animals are not selfish to be selfish. They just focus on their own needs.

Same with humans I'd say.

Also, what I meant by equilbrium was that every creature on this planet, exluding man, forms an inherent balance with its environment.

Not nessasarily or automatically.

Things are always in flux. Balance is a...incomplete word to describe it.

It's your call tho, I don't think it's a horrible term, but I just don't think it's the best. I'll see what else I can think up.

Indeed, It even rhymes with 'smite'. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is it just me or did anyone else miss the latin quotes in WoT? :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It's your call tho, I don't think it's a horrible term, but I just don't think it's the best. I'll see what else I can think up.

I had the same problem as you. It was the best I could come up with off the top of my head.

Also, Walsingham, I originally had Empathy as a human aspect, but it seemed more hopeful than realistic. Additionally, I am not trying to portray the kami soul as the equivalent of the Judeo-Christian God. More so as an advanced being concerned with mortals, only insofar as it affects the kami's agenda. Thus,

Temperance - The ability to control your behavior as you choose.

Transcendence - Being above and independent of the material universe; excelling or surpassing usual limits

Mutability - Ability to learn, grow, change, etc.; unpredictability

Faith - Belief in something. It need not be an overarching goal or philosophy; all that matters is belief in a single thing above all else.

I find it kind of sad

The culture which discovered and named the souls are Eastern in heritage and origin. Mono and kami are japanese romanji terms, meaning respectively animal spirit and god(s). I havent found a term for human spirit that I like yet.

I find it kind of sad

Desire - maybe seeking understanding in something

Reason - mental ability to stick to rational side

Passion - Hey, could be motivation or inclination towards something

Arrogance - Probably in the absence of the above three, could be impulsiveness

Humans seek an answer to everything that comes to mind...

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧