Star Wars RPG's

Miltiades

It's simple,I have nothing but dislike for the Star Wars franchise anymore.

I would have probably enjoyed K2 and maybe evn K1 more if they were not part of this setting.

Meh,and btw playing a well known predefined character in an CRPG isn't that good of an idea.

I very much enjoy character creation and development.

So, you hate Star Wars, mildly dislike both KotOR 1 and 2, and you hate the Star Wars setting in general. So, since you don't even like Star Wars, how is your opinion even valid? I mean, it would be different for a Star Wars/KotOR fan to say that an RPG set in the Galactic Empire era would be a bad idea because he/she is saying that because he/she doesn't think it's a good idea, not because he/she doesn't like Star Wars at all.

I would consider myself to be a Star Wars/KotOR fan, and personally, I don't think an RPG set in the Galactic Empire Era would be a much more difficult to pull off without conflicting continuity (more so than 4,000 in the past) if it is to be original. And if it's not an orginal storyline and follows the movies, what's the point of making an RPG out of it. We've already seen the movies so we know what happens at the end. It wouldn't be a good idea because RPG's are centered around a storyline and what's the point of playing if you already know the story, beginning to end?

Well maybe that's true, but there are tons of stories that can be told about that era. It's not because Anakin and Obi-Wan are the main characters in the movies, that they are the only jedi in the galaxy at that time. There are dozens of jedi who fight in the clone wars and after that.

It's simple,I have nothing but dislike for the Star Wars franchise anymore.

I would have probably enjoyed K2 and maybe evn K1 more if they were not part of this setting.

Meh,and btw playing a well known predefined character in an CRPG isn't that good of an idea.

I very much enjoy character creation and development.

So, you hate Star Wars, mildly dislike both KotOR 1 and 2, and you hate the Star Wars setting in general. So, since you don't even like Star Wars, how is your opinion even valid? I mean, it would be different for a Star Wars/KotOR fan to say that an RPG set in the Galactic Empire era would be a bad idea because he/she is saying that because he/she doesn't think it's a good idea, not because he/she doesn't like Star Wars at all.

Please learn to read.

I said I had no love for Star Wars yes,but I did enjoy K2 as a decent CRPG.

So let's see,I don't like something so my opinion is invalid?

Ha,you should be a comedian.

Playing a heavily predifined character is a bad idea.

It would be like say playing Darth Vader in a CRPG,where would the choice be?

The character already has his own agenda.

He has already been defined thru his actions.

Honestly you guys seem to just want a Star Wars game with stats.

Don't you care about the roleplaying?

Imagine having an open ended RPG with Aragorn as the main character during the war of the Ring, it's somthing like that.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And what would the point be?

There wouldn't really be much roleplaying would it?

He's a well known character,there wouldn't be that many choices in the story.

It would be just an action game with Stats.

A Diablo if you will.

So far yes, but how long before the angry mothers of America scream bloody murder?

Um, they have already. Still, not many people seem to care. And in that case it was because of that "hot coffee" nonsense, not because the game had an unconventional plot.

This is absolutely true.

I think the vocal microscopic minority have made a disproportionate impact on the media. When looking at the game, I believe most parents will assess it on its merits and decide that the game is not as terrible as the press, and then go and make some hot coffee.

:-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Playing a heavily predifined character is a bad idea.

It would be like say playing Darth Vader in a CRPG,where would the choice be?

The character already has his own agenda.

He has already been defined thru his actions.

That is not a valid comparison. Vader is a known character with very well defined demeanor and motives. In CRPGs where you don't start as "Mr. Nobody", your character is already defined, but you know nothing about him, effectively allowing you to roleplay him however you wish.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yes,and the original poster preposed playing either Obi Wan or Anakin.

It didn't look like you were addressing the original post, more like making a general statement about CRPGs.

How is it not valid?

I already explained that. Vader leaves no room for [creative] roleplaying, while a character with a defined background (but whose motives and personality aren't specified) can be whatever you want them to be.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I was addressing the notion of playing heavily predefined characters(like Anakin,Obi-Wan and Vader).

My post was quoted,a post that addressed the topic starter.

I tried to make my first stament as clear as possible.

And yes it was a general statement about CRPGs,a statment against heavily predefined characters.

I was addressing the notion of  playing heavily predefined characters(like Anakin,Obi-Wan and Vader).

[...]

And yes it was a general statement about CRPGs,a statment against heavily predefined characters.

I agree that playing characters like Obi-Wan and whatnot in a CRPG severely limits the RP'ing options. But that is not the usual level of character predefinition used in CRPGs (In fact I can't think of a single game that has you play a character of Vader's scope).

I assumed your comment was aimed at games that have you play characters like Revan or TNO. My bad for assuming.

So, yes. While you general statement about CRPGs is valid, it's a moot point, as such game would hardly be a RPG. :-

So, yes. While you general statement about CRPGs is valid, it's a moot point, as such game would hardly be a RPG.  :-

That really depends on the definition of the RPG.

With the birth of ARPGs and JRPGs it's getting harder and harder to clearly define the genre as a whole.

Honestly the only thing that links them all are stats and a storyline.

I view a CRPG as a game with both stats and consequences to your choices during the storyline.

An RPG with Obi Wan as the main character could be done,it would more likely be an action game with stats,ARPG,whatever...

Simple. When used often enough in various mediums, worlds or ideas become played out. There are certain basics you expect and which are almost always met in the exact same way. In Star Wars terms, this is a common person who grows to achieve great power (usually as a Jedi) and defeat the great evil, most commonly portrayed by a Sith, the similar but inherently less powerful group due to their dependence upon evil and its accoutrements. There will also be strange aliens and moments of great adventure in which it seems the hero can die, but never will.

You can replace "Star Wars", "Jedi" and "Sith" with the proper nouns from any other setting, and the paragraph doesn't lose a single ounce of validity. You know, that's "the stuff of legends". Not really exclusive to SW.

What we need is less cliched stories, not different settings.

True enough, but therein lies the problem - stories that are not clich

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

where you watch warriors jump across the entire world? or where a Druid summons an army of wolves and becomes the WoD style of werewolf.

I know sombody who for the longest time was trying to be the "king of the Ladder" on closed. so he would powerplay himself to lvl 60 then go magic find to about 60 or 70 percent.... he scared me.

Yeah, but I had much more fun with the same concept in JKII. Not to mention I didn't have to go through the whole process of leveling and then getting all the ph4t 1007 needed to be an efficient pk. And it was much easier to change identities... :devil:"

Simple. When used often enough in various mediums, worlds or ideas become played out. There are certain basics you expect and which are almost always met in the exact same way. In Star Wars terms, this is a common person who grows to achieve great power (usually as a Jedi) and defeat the great evil, most commonly portrayed by a Sith, the similar but inherently less powerful group due to their dependence upon evil and its accoutrements. There will also be strange aliens and moments of great adventure in which it seems the hero can die, but never will.

You can replace "Star Wars", "Jedi" and "Sith" with the proper nouns from any other setting, and the paragraph doesn't lose a single ounce of validity. You know, that's "the stuff of legends". Not really exclusive to SW.

manthing2.jpg

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT