One Trilogy to rule them all

Calax

Criteria No. 3 - Story Themes and Symbolism

The Matrix

None.

Star Wars

Cold, gut-tangling paranoia. That's the key to the Star Wars tales. The central meaning in both trilogies is our modern need for protection and safety against the cold, uncaring horror of existence. The films unflinchingly portray disaster after disaster for all who are left unprotected for even a moment; we see women's need to constantly be protected (and rescued) by men, man's own need to always be protected and kept aloft by catwalk railings in a world where they are still millennia away from invention, a space station exhaust shaft's need to be protected by a hard covering or at least some protective grating to stop foreign objects.

It is a theme that resonates in these new, dangerous times unlike any other. Who is protecting your exhaust shaft, America?

As if this were somehow not enough, Lucas shocks us with a point of view that is almost heresy in a 21st Century USA. Lucas believes it is justified to destroy the inhabitants of a large building, if it facilitates the means of those called to martydom by The Force. Further, aggressive military action is never to be unilateral and pre-emptive. Han Solo knows he is in mortal danger in the Cantina scene... but he waits until Greedo fires before responding with deadly force. This is a lesson a certain American President could learn.

The Lord of the Rings

American civil rights activist Martin Luther King, in his famous 1968 speech, pleaded to "let freedom ring" across the land, "ringing" in a new era of racial harmony. In Bakshi's film, we have that very "ring" in our hands, the "ring" of freedom and racial equality, the "ring" that will let every white and black child play with race-blind eyes.

Frodo's mission is to destroy the ring.

The Orcs are to be wiped out, not integrated into society. The elves are to slowly die off, not to be merged with the world of man.

vadermouth2.gif

>factor 12x: no monkeys vs. no monkeys vs. no monkeys

• How to Write a Screenplay in 72 Hours. George Lucas. New York, Skywalker Press, 1989. 205 pp.
    All My Heroes are White. James Pinkerton. Toronto, Beaver Press, 1993. 857 pp.
    Cleansing the Gene Pool: In Defense of Genocide. James Pinkerton. Toronto, Beaver Press, 1996. 994 pp.

GOLD

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I love David Wong and John Cheese's work.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Hahaha.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

oh wow... is Launch the Victim or is baley the one trapped in launches bacement?

I thought you guys might like the Hasslehoff meter.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

oh wow... is Launch the Victem or is baley the one trapped in launches bacement?

I thought you guys might like the Hasslehoff meter.

There's no victims in our relationship... :blink:"

DL

Yeah, no victims except the human race...

Grey.

You can't get anything past ol' Lou Gutman...

PI!

There may be no victims in life but there are victims in the realm of the damned.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Okay, I expect this sort of thing out of Mr. Gutman, but not from the rest of you. If you don't stop all this, then baley himself will visit this thread, then it will only go downhill. Back on topic or the thread gets it!

The link is.... weird. Clearly, however, they were wrong. Lucas is underrated. He gets a 10.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I sincerely hope none of you took that article seriously, considering its a joke...