OBS-4 Discussion (game and roll call)

Exactly. WTF? If you have one more unit than the opposition you win. Period. Three to one? Must be something to do with destroying the opposition and not permitting retreats ... or maybe it means regardless of whether support is cut ..? I mean, it's a pretty ropey description, not least because they've got the ratio backwards the second time they quote it. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Perhaps we can interpret it like this:

When the Klingons attack the SAME space with 3 or more units, the attacks ALWAYS succeed providing all the attacks go through and the support isn't cut.

This makes a successful 3 prong Klingon attack capable of beating a defense of 3 or greater.

:(

manthing2.jpg

cardy-borg.jpg

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

(dibs on the Borg)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We still need at least one player. Once we have seven players for the game, email me with your choices. :(

• Borg: 0815, 4711
    Cardassia: Cardassia Prime, Cardassia Secondus, Cardassia Tertius
    Dominion: Omarion, Karemma, Brax
    Ferengi: Ferengi, Zeta Maxia, Volchok Prime
    Federation: Earth, Vulcan, Alpha Ceti, Beta-Zed
    Klingon: Q'onos, Khitomer, Boreth
    Romulan: Romulus, Remus, Algeron

Hmm. I thought the Borg were in the Delta quadrant ... and weren't they coming through the Klingon space? :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

We still need at least one player. Once we have seven players for the game, email me with your choices. :(
  • Borg: 0815, 4711
    Cardassia: Cardassia Prime, Cardassia Secondus, Cardassia Tertius
    Dominion: Omarion, Karemma, Brax
    Ferenghi: Ferenghi, Zeta Maxia, Volchok Prime
    Federation: Earth, Vulcan, Alpha Ceti, Beta-Zed
    Klingon: Q'onos, Khitomer, Boreth
    Romulan: Romulus, Remus, Algeron

Hmm. I thought the Borg were in the Delta quadrant ... and weren't they coming through the Klingon space? :o

Aww...those Emoticons are so :* .

After our powers are chosen, players should be forced to integrate their corresponding pic into their sig. :lol:

manthing2.jpg

What do mean "need atleast one" player? You ve got Jags and me, what more could you possibly want? :D

You could start an exclusive "Star Trek Diplomacy" thread to attract extra players :-"

but the post-7008-1124322862.gif are mein!!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wait a sec, doesnt "gunboat" in fact mean that the identities of the player behind each faction is secret so that no actual diplomacy can occur? Thereby making the game strategy-only?

another Star Trek Diplomacy rulebook (This is an earlier game, which has fewer, but more complex rules (written in English!), and so it might be useful. It seems a lot more balanced, and not a gunboat variant ...)

what "Gunboat" means: no press

List of all the SF diplomacy variants

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think we could quite easily combine the rules from this first variant, with the map from the second variant. (I assume the first variant stipulated using the same board through lack of time / motivation to finish the job; the guy who designed the ruleset wsa one of the designers for the second game, too.)

I wonder if the secondary power, from the second variant, is worth trying to re-interpret? :-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think we could quite easily combine the rules from this first variant, with the map from the second variant. (I assume the first variant stipulated using the same board through lack of time / motivation to finish the job; the guy who designed the ruleset wsa one of the designers for the second game, too.)

I was about to suggest the same exact thing.

I mean Borg & Dominion is Serbia, Bulgaria, Constantinople & Aegean Sea? WTF - talk about blowing the whole fanstasy. <_<

----

I wonder if the secondary power, from the second variant, is worth trying to re-interpret? o:)

I'm sure we can do it. :-

manthing2.jpg

Well, give it your best shot ... and I will too. :)

Additional Powers

Each great power has additional abilities, some of which are intrinsic (i) abilities, others of which are additional orders (B).

• Federation: Negotiation ability (B) and starts the game with an additional SC (i)
  • Klingon: Camouflage (B) and combat capability (i) - a ratio of 3:1 attackers : defenders prevents retreat (i) (i.e. instant disband)
  • Romulan: Secret service (B) and camouflage (B) -:must secret service betray, if it retreaten or a SC lose
  • Cardassian: Antiproton (i) and doubled range of vision (i)
  • Ferenghi: captivate (B)
  • Borg: Assimilation (B) and movement bonuses in the own quadrant (i)
  • Dominion: Masking of ships (B) +APS (i)

Same as first rules,

similar to first rules,

totally different :ermm:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, give it your best shot ... and I will too. :ermm:

Additional Powers

• Klingon: Camouflage (B) and combat capability (i) - a ratio of 3:1 attackers : defenders prevents retreat (i) (i.e. instant disband)

Do you think the latter part means (A) Klingon defenders prevent the opposition's attackers from retreating; or, (B) Enemy defenders prevents Klingon atackers from retreating?

---

Also: If we incorportate the second rules (the English one!), with the first map (the good one!), we'll have to modify the Cardassian abilities. Given their adaptable characteristics those Cardies are allowed amphibious abilites to cross land and water (as per standard diplo map). But given the use of Space in the Star Trek map, one might think we would have to tweak this to use of "shuttles" which can travel space and act as troops. But I believe the second rules have only ships as units so we can just ingore this trait altogether. ^_^

manthing2.jpg

This seems quite interesting! Though Ive never been a huge fan of Star Trek, I am certainly up for this!

If I understand correctly, using a variant means we gain Kaftan as a player, but lose Trobalov, yes?

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Well, give it your best shot ... and I will too. :ermm:

Additional Powers

Do you think the latter part means (A) Klingon defenders prevent the opposition's attackers from retreating; or, (B) Enemy defenders prevents Klingon atackers from retreating?

---

Also: If we incorportate the second rules (the English one!), with the first map (the good one!), we'll have to modify the Cardassian abilities. Given their adaptable characteristics those Cardies are allowed amphibious abilites to cross land and water (as per standard diplo map). But given the use of Space in the Star Trek map, one might think we would have to tweak this to use of "shuttles" which can travel space and act as troops. But I believe the second rules have only ships as units so we can just ingore this trait altogether. ^_^

I think it means that if a klingon formation of 3:1 attacks, the defender cannot retreat.

I don't see the problem with Cardassians having ships that are Long-Distance (Warp: Ships) and Short Distance (Impulse: Armies) at the same time (giving them the equivalent of amphibious vehicles.

I think the English rules are better balanced than the German ones; Ferenghi are real gimps in the German rules.

The English rules are quite complex, though, especially with respect to Borg and Dominion (if I read that correctly, the Dominion get to infiltrate an opposition unit every year ... I don't know whether they lose that infiltrated unit next year, when they get another, or if they get to keep it ... I suspect they lose it, but again it isn't very clear).

I think it would be easier to just run with the English rules on the German board, and throw the German rules out.

What do you think?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This seems quite interesting! Though Ive never been a huge fan of Star Trek, I am certainly up for this!

If I understand correctly, using a variant means we gain Kaftan as a player, but lose Trobalov, yes?

I believe so. I haven't heard back from Trobalov, and I've sent numerous requests for contact. I guess the interest wasn't there. (Mind you, apart from Calax and Jags no-one has emailed me their preferences, and Calax's were for normal Diplomacy.)

So I hope everyone will mail in their preferences, who wants to play. (Nominate here first; I will start a new thread for the actual game as we are already on page eleven.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, give it your best shot ... and I will too. :-

Additional Powers

---

I think it means that if a klingon formation of 3:1 attacks, the defender cannot retreat.

I don't see the problem with Cardassians having ships that are Long-Distance (Warp: Ships) and Short Distance (Impulse: Armies) at the same time (giving them the equivalent of amphibious vehicles.

I think the English rules are better balanced than the German ones; Ferenghi are real gimps in the German rules.

The English rules are quite complex, though, especially with respect to Borg and Dominion (if I read that correctly, the Dominion get to infiltrate an opposition unit every year ... I don't know whether they lose that infiltrated unit next year, when they get another, or if they get to keep it ... I suspect they lose it, but again it isn't very clear).

I think it would be easier to just run with the English rules on the German board, and throw the German rules out.

What do you think?

I agree - English rules, German board.

As for the Dominion thing, I believe its handled similar to borg unit assimilations. So even though you're allowed to have more units (due to assimilation) than supply centres, unless you make up the difference (by capturing supply centres), the following year...you lose them.

manthing2.jpg