OBS-4 Discussion (game and roll call)

I hope people aren't too serious about the WWIV map. Crazy games like that might be good if we were in the same room and can play it in a night. What the hell, ya know?

But I don't want some crazy game to last a year.

Reveiled has seemingly really been wanting to play Seismic Diplomacy, and while it might be pretty crazy as well, I might be down.

"if the players are active"

When hell freezes over, apparently.

Edit: Damn. I'm contradicting myself. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

:lol:

Check my location. I had forgotten that.

By the way; did anyone else know that if one can make a cg error while posting; the board code jumps up and one can see just-sent pms? Scary stuff. There was one pm named "Allo Revan Solo", but i didn't feel the need to compromise privacy any more.:lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I trust Reveiled to be a knowledgable and fair GM, implicitly.  I am wary of him as a player however, due to his experience playing Diplomacy.

You do realise that you've actually played in more games than I have, right? I may know the rules back to front, But you are arguably more experienced than I am at actually playing the game.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I've yet to finish a game. You recite names for every strategy left and right. You also remind people all the time exactly how familiar you are with the ins and outs. I think you even went so far as to say, the game should always be posted entirely in short-hand so that you'd be the only one to understand it.

You can't claim to be inexperienced after making a huge deal about how experienced you are.

Deceiving people in-game is part of the game. Deceiving people out of the game is just bad-form.

I've yet to finish a game.  You recite names for every strategy left and right.  You also remind people all the time exactly how familiar you are with the ins and outs.  I think you even went so far as to say, the game should always be posted entirely in short-hand so that you'd be the only one to understand it.

You can't claim to be inexperienced after making a huge deal about how experienced you are.

Deceiving people in-game is part of the game.  Deceiving people out of the game is just bad-form.

I've yet to finish a game either. Until OBS-2, I'd yet to start a game. I'm not decieving anybody. I happen to know the names of the strategies and the notation off by heart (and I'll add that the notation comment was a joke, if you remember). What I said was that you have more experienced at actually playing the game, which is true. You've begun to play 3 games, having brought none to conclusion. I've begun to play 2 (and am GMing 1), having brought none to conclusion. I've also made no attempt to hide where I learned the strategies from, advising people on many occasions to go read and learn what I have.

And I agree, decieving people out of the game is just bad form.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I don't know if you've played or not. I could trust my initial impression, or your recent claim. But the fact remains that you have made a BIG POINT of flaunting your knowledge and expertise which you now attempt to downplay.

Contradicting your previous statements is not a way to demonstrate your trustworthy nature.

And even if you haven't played before, you do still seem to be a big expert on all the possible strategies. That puts you a few legs up on the players here.

Recent claim? I stated it in the very first post of the very first thread on Diplomacy on theis board. And how have I made a big point of my knowledge? I hardly think a joke here and there amounts to flaunting it, and anyone who reads those articles could learn anything I know pretty damn easily. One can read Richard Sharp's The Game of Diplomacy in a day, and the other articles don't take long. Most of the OBS-1 players now have as good a grasp on notation as I do.

So I may know the naes of four different openings for Turkey, but it does not follow that I know which one to use. That would require me to be an expert in negotiation, which I am not. You are more experienced than I am at that, as you have participated in negotiation in three games, which is more than I have, whether you like it or not.

Attempting to portray me as some sort of huge diplomacy expert to be feared and fought against doesn't exactly demonstrate your own honesty.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

You made an active effort to portray yourself as such and now you're denying it. Not only have you stated that you think you're the only one who could properly understand notation, and flaunting the extoils of specific named strategies.

It was certainly an unexpected move. In that situation, A Tyr almost always supports A Ven into Trieste, and I have no idea how you managed to convince Austria not to turn her fleet around and sail right back to Trieste to make the support order necessary. I can't think of a game where Italy managed to capture two Austrian supply centres in the First Year!

Considering that supposedly this was your very first game ever being associated with, why make a comment "I can't think of a game where Italy managed..."

You're caught lying and denying it again.

It was certainly an unexpected move. In that situation, A Tyr almost always supports A Ven into Trieste, and I have no idea how you managed to convince Austria not to turn her fleet around and sail right back to Trieste to make the support order necessary. I can't think of a game where Italy managed to capture two Austrian supply centres in the First Year!

Considering that supposedly this was your very first game ever being associated with, why make a comment "I can't think of a game where Italy managed..."

On the strategy site that was listed there were numerous statistics for diplomacy game results. With win/loss records for likely every country. They are buried in the articles, but I did find the ones for Germany.

He didn't say Italy hardly ever wins.

He said specifically he can't think of a game where Italy managed to capture two Austrian supply centers in the first year.

Read his exact words.

Why would someone who has never played or GMed a game make that statement?

He didn't say Italy hardly ever wins.

He said specifically he can't think of a game where Italy managed to capture two Austrian supply centers in the first year.

Read his exact words.

Why would someone who has never played or GMed a game make that statement?

I'm not sure. Would have been better had you posted the entire quote. And with that exact quote it wouldn't be hard to not have heard of a game like that. One can keep up with games played without actually playing in them. Something like that quote says would be extrodinarily difficult to do as it would require complete co-operation from Austria to accomplish.

I did post the exact entire quote above.

That is not paraphrased or editted.

I suppose I could join (not like i have anything better to do). I just have to run through the rules with a fine tooth comb instead of scanning like i did in the other threads.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I did post the exact entire quote above.

That is not paraphrased or editted.

Oops. I didn't read the quote. I assumed it was something else. :">

I suppose I could join (not like i have anything better to do). I just have to run through the rules with a fine tooth comb instead of scanning like i did in the other threads.

The rules seem confusing to some people when they initially read them, but really they aren't bad. They consist mainly of a series of examples. They're cumbersome, but really they make sense.

Here's a very good article for beginners:

Art of Diplomacy.

It is in the order of several powers of ten easier to read than the rule book. (But then again, maybe that's the point; after all until Machiavelli turned up, there were no guide books for diplomacy ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You made an active effort to portray yourself as such and now you're denying it.  Not only have you stated that you think you're the only one who could properly understand notation, and flaunting the extoils of specific named strategies.

Because there's plenty of game reports on the internet, eejit. And if I didn't happen to delete the records of previous turns in the first post, anyone could look at OBS-1 and see what happened in it. As anyone, including me, can do with countless forum-based games on the internet.

If you actually thought your accusations through before making them you wouldn't make them at all.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I would like to play in this one only if the standard version is used though.  :ermm:

Cheers :D

Email me, using the link in the first post, so thaat I have your details.

So far it looks like we have six players:

• Archie,
  • Jags,
  • Ender,
  • Lancer,
  • Trobalov (only for standard game), and
  • Calax.
  • Alanschu (only if he can play Canada)

If we get one more player, then the fourth game is under way!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT