Dungeon Siege 2

I liked the first DS....the expansion was kind of fun but just more of the same, although those little lizard pet things were cute.

My biggest personal complaint was about the SP game - it was so linear...no exploration at all. The MP maps were much better and I mostly played there, alone...paid no attention to the MP quest, just explored and killed stuff. heh

I think I'll just wait for the game itself to check it out. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid and wrong.

If you're that unable to think for yourself (ever see anyone use megabit to describe the size of a demo..?) maybe you should think about what your pet peeve really is. Are you worried that you don't know the exact size of things? Most people are able to figure it out from the context of things.

And what do you mean by MB? MB does not necessarily mean "one million bytes", as you seem to suggest. The term to correctly describe one million bytes is called MiB (Mebibytes). Is that important? Since MB can be used to describe both 10^6 and 2^20 (just as both Mb and MB can be used to describe megabyte), which do you mean? See how pointless this is?

The SI is a guideline not a law (as the french prefer to use octet instead of byte and get away with it).

What are you talking about?

1 GB = 1024 MB

1 MB = 1024 kB = 1,048,576 Bytes.

I Megamile is 1000 miles, but that is because Mega means million in that context. In the IT context it always means 1024. Just as a Giga means 1024 x 1024 = 1048576, except for non bit-wise representations, such as with GigaHertz, where it means six of log base 10.

Using a small b is just illiterate. That's my pet peeve. If I have to spend an extra few seconds to calculate the difference between the byte or bit value of the shorthand, then it is inefficient. And all because the writer is too lazy to capitalise the letter?

So why not use a lowercase "m" for mega? After all, no-one uses m for mile, do they? Or milli, as in "one thousandth"? Or can we just assume that everyone knows what you are talking about? :rolleyes:"

It's not like you are proposing an alternate system to SI, either. You're just rationalising your own lacksadaisical attitude. No wonder people outside the IT industry think every in it talks in tongues!

It's just lazy. Or illiterate. Or both. And I expect more from you. :)

I wanted to screw around with the pets I read about. 

Other than that, if the story isn't totally crap, that would be a very good thing.

What connotation are you implying for screw?

(Not that I'm infringing on your right as an individual in our politically-correct society to have intimate relations with your pets, but, eeeeeeeewwww!)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Correction, 1 MB = 1024 KBytes.

1 KB = 1024 bytes

1 byte = 8 bits etc etc.

Yep. That's what I said. (Actually, the SI abbreviation is "k" for kilo, not "K". That's degrees kelvin.) :p

The point is there is no excuse for using Mb for MegaByte. (There are two reasons, laziness and illeteracy.) I could probably understand the ratiionale of "mb", under the auspices of some mantra of efficiency not permiting the wasted effort to extend the smallest finger to touch the shift key whilst typing (but then again I would expect this rule to be uniform across the entire text sample); to use "Mb" when the meaning is MegaByte is just totally unwarranted. It only serves to confuse: "Guess what I mean".

I remember when there was great debate about the definition of a "word"; of course it now has been defined as the size of the data parcel of the underlying processor (so it was 1 Byte for the Apple //e (the 6502 is an 8 bit CPU), 2 and 4 Bytes for the PC (which was 16 bit, now 32 bit), and it'll be eight Bytes for the new 64 bit CPUs.

A nibble was originally half a Byte, but I'm not sure if that still stands ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

1 GB = 1024 MB

1 MB = 1,048,576 Bytes.

See, I think I located the problem :( If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a chance for you to read up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte

"megabyte MB 10^6 (or 2^20) mebibyte MiB 2^20"

So you see, what you take for granted ("1 MB = 1,048,576 Bytes") is not that certain. It might as well be 1,000,000.. Just as Mb and MB can mean different things! For the most part it's easily deciphered from context, which is why it's a stupid pet peeve to have.

""Byte" is most often abbreviated as "B", hence "MB for "megabyte".

Sometimes "b" is used for byte (and "bit" for bit), but this can cause confusion because of the much more common use of "b" to mean bit.

French-speaking countries sometimes use "o" for "octet". This is also unacceptable in SI because of the risk of confusion with the zero."

If you're really interested in this mess, read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

All I'm saying is that you have a pet peeve about something that's not "precise". It's kind of like being annoyed when people spell humour "humor" even though both are right. Pointless.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

1 GB = 1024 MB

1 MB = 1,048,576 Bytes.

See, I think I located the problem :( If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a chance for you to read up on it.

So you see, what you take for granted ("1 MB = 1,048,576 Bytes") is not that certain. It might as well be 1,000,000.. Just as Mb and MB can mean different things! For the most part it's easily deciphered from context, which is why it's a stupid pet peeve to have.

Sometimes "b" is used for byte (and "bit" for bit), but this can cause confusion because of the much more common use of "b" to mean bit.

French-speaking countries sometimes use "o" for "octet". This is also unacceptable in SI because of the risk of confusion with the zero."

All I'm saying is that you have a pet peeve about something that's not "precise". It's kind of like being annoyed when people spell humour "humor" even though both are right. Pointless.

No, it is not comparable with spelling. Now you are being disingenuous to cover up your error (or arrogance). To use your own analogy, it is like you just decided to spell humour "hewma".

It is a peeve because it requires me, the reader, to do the work of you, the author, which you can easily do much quicker and more efficiently (as it is your thoughts you are writing), and indeed it may even be impossible for me to decipher your garbled message.

I have never needed to use MiB, because it is always clear (based on the SI units) what is being represented. Except when people don't use standard abbreviations and use non-standard ones. Like you just did.

I wouldn't mind as much, as I said in my post, if you used "mb" for MegaByte (although I would still regard you as illiterate and / or lazy), but using "Mb" for MegaByte is almost perposely trying to dis-inform.

It does not do you justice.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

1 GB = 1024 MB

1 MB = 1,048,576 Bytes.

See, I think I located the problem :thumbsup: If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a chance for you to read up on it.

No, it is not comparable with spelling. Now you are being disingenuous to cover up your error (or arrogance). To use your own analogy, it is like you just decided to spell humour "hewma".

It is a peeve because it requires me, the reader, to do the work of you, the author, which you can easily do much quicker and more efficiently (as it is your thoughts you are writing), and indeed it may even be impossible for me to decipher your garbled message.

I have never needed to use MiB, because it is always clear (based on the SI units) what is being represented. Except when people don't use standard abbreviations and use non-standard ones. Like you just did.

I wouldn't mind as much, as I said in my post, if you used "mb" for MegaByte (although I would still regard you as illiterate and / or lazy), but using "Mb" for MegaByte is almost perposely trying to dis-inform.

It does not do you justice.

Or, you know, the general population uses the term wrong, to the point where the meaning is changed, and purists like you kick and scream about how everyone but yourself is wrong, but the new meaning becomes the accepted one regardless.

Yeah, in Sweden the terms have degenerated into Mb for megabyte and Mbit for megabit.

I do know the difference, metadigital, I just choose to use other terms than you. As I said before, the SI aren't laws, just guidelines (and I find it much easier to remember Mb as megabyte).

On topic: The demo download just finished, but idiotic Gamer's Hell packed the 1.5 Gb gamefile, thus making me have to unpack it TWICE before installing. It's unpacking for the second time while I am writing this. It'll be fun to see what it looks like now.

I've tried it now. It's much better than the original Dungeon Siege, feels less automated and is quite a bit more difficult (or maybe I just suck at action RPG's?). The graphics are strangely enough on the not-so-impressive side. I was expecting much fancier stuff than what I've found so far. One thing about the demo though: its size impresses. There's tons of stuff to do and find.

Update: I am still playing the demo (not continuously) and it hasn't ended yet. It's almost the size of a small game. Or Jade Empire.

Or, you know, the general population uses the term wrong, to the point where the meaning is changed, and purists like you kick and scream about how everyone but yourself is wrong, but the new meaning becomes the accepted one regardless.

1. "The general population" does NOT use the abbreviation incorrectly.

2. "Purists" like me (i.e. those who know what they are talking about) try to marshal those lazier and/or less competent and/or more ignorant than they to help prevent language devolving into grunts and pointing gensticulations, where everyone just uses "f**k" as a noun, pronoun, adjective, adjectival clause, verb, proper noun and any other part of speech, as necessary. To take your argument to it's logical conclusion, why bother using words at all?

Your argument is specious.

Your faith in the teological determinism of human language is quaint, but you are actually overlooking more important issues. Using b as an abbreviation for Byte would have a point IF the bit wasn't a common unit in frequent use. It is. Not only that, the units being abbreviated are so similar that it only serves to occlude the true meaning.

Yeah, in Sweden the terms have degenerated into Mb for megabyte and Mbit for megabit.

I do know the difference, metadigital, I just choose to use other terms than you. As I said before, the SI aren't laws, just guidelines (and I find it much easier to remember Mb as megabyte).

I would be more amenable to the argument if there were any precedent established. "in Sweden the terms have degenerated into Mb for megabyte and Mbit for megabit" Really? Why? And does Sweden reject SI abbreviations completely, or

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Meta, please...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Sounds like an excuse, to me.

Oh well, I wouldn't think you'd get that right either since you're having problems understanding what Mb means when applied to the size of a demo.. :thumbsup: . You do know that yards, lbs, foot, inch, stones, gallon, yada yada aren't "international standardz0rz" either..? I'm sure you'll continue your personal little war, but I guess you'll have to live with the fact that I'll continue using Mb and Mbit.

Meta, please...

No. I was insulted by someone who made a mistake and doesn't have the courage nor the maturity to own up to it, when challenged.

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid and wrong.

If you're that unable to think for yourself (ever see anyone use megabit to describe the size of a demo..?) maybe you should think about what your pet peeve really is. Are you worried that you don't know the exact size of things? Most people are able to figure it out from the context of things.

The criticism was neither stupid nor wrong.

To be clear: I wouldn't have minded if the reason was "Hey, I know you're right, but I assumed no one would have a problem working out what I meant", or equivalent.

I find it beneath contempt to have to justify my expertise in this subject: I have an Information Technology degree from one of the world's leading universities, I am a member of the IEE and I have IT industry experience since 1983 (when this poster was barely in long pants), and I am casually told to fsck off.

The insinuation that I don't know what I'm talking about was then reduced to a denial of fact and a plea for special dispensation due to the poster being from Sweden, where apparently the normally observed customs of conversation and exchange of information are rejected in favour of saving the effort of extending the littlest finger whilst typing a single letter simply because only anal "purists" are concerned with the misuse of language.

Go on, insult me again. I dare you.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds like an excuse, to me.

Oh well, I wouldn't think you'd get that right either since you're having problems understanding what Mb means when applied to the size of a demo.. :thumbsup: .

Please: one of my pet peeves is people who do not use Syst

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ok, so I finished the Dungeon Siege 2 demo. It was long and actually quite fun. It didn't have many dialogue options, but all in all it was a great step forward compared to the original. It'll be fun to get my hands on it, at least for a while. It felt a lot more like a RPG this time.

Anyhow, there's still one little detail that bugs me in the demo:

North of the portal in Northern Greilyn Forest (spelling?) there's a ruined wall with a faint outline of a door in it. Behind the wall you can clearly see a path leading up a hill, and on the map you can see red dots moving about (enemies). So far I haven't been able to find whatever it is that opens the door and I can't uninstall the demo until I've found it! Has anyone else solved this little problem?