NHL is back

Cantousent

heh, I almost feel as if I could participate in the hockey talk around here, what with all the info I get from the thread.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Wow, I guess Brian Burke wants to make sure that his presence is felt in Anaheim. Dump that salary Biatch! Now he's down to about 32 million with six or seven roster spots to fill. I hate the Ducks, no question, but Steve Rucchin, despite being nearly as injury prone as Lindros, is actually a very gifted two way center. I think his presence will be sorely missed in Anaheim. Is Federov going to take all the draws on the PK? Good luck, and I hope the tie for second last place in the west goes as planned... :thumbsup:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

It's pretty odd how the Ducks went from fighting for the Stanley cup as a really tight knit team to having a bunch of expensive talent and not being able to make the playoffs. Some people blame Giguerre for not following up his playoff run, but I think they gave away their heart when they let Kariya leave.

Ah well, it's a different league this year. I don't think it's a bad idea to try and build a team around Federov, so we'll see.

They'll still be Shark bait :shifty:

but I think they gave away their heart when they let Kariya leave.

Much like how Vancouver went downhill once Linden got traded, then went back up once they got him back. He may not be the best player, but I just can't imagine the team without him. I'd expect once he retires that he'd come back on in some role, maybe coaching or something.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

This may seem odd, but my pot inspired stoner senses tell me Vancouver is going to the finals this year. Over the past twenty five years they have gone to the dance ( with their ugly cousin, to boot) in '82 and '94. Does anyone else see the pattern? I can overlook the fact that Dan Cloutier just doesn't have it and maybe this is the season they get great scoring from lines 2 through 4.

As for who they will be playing against, I can't figure out which team in the East will emerge on top. On paper Philly looks great, but lets see how the injuries pan out. Ditto for Pittsburgh minus the 'looks good on paper part' . Atlanta has as much of a shot as Boston, Ottawa, and Tampa Bay.

43 days until it counts... :o

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

And today Roberto Luongo from Florida turned down a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract five minutes before his arbitration meeting. In said meeting he was awarded a one year deal worth 3.2 mil. I think somebody needs to fire their agent... :p

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I just found out Alex Korolyuk has decided to play in Russia next year. He wasn't very well known outside of the SJ Sharks, but he was a very talented player who could occasionally dominate a game. It's too bad, because I thought he'd come of age in the new NHL.

I've seen quite a few SJ games on teevee and thought Korolyuk was pretty gifted as well. The other night I started a lengthy, big winded post about why I thought the Sharks might be in trouble this year. I didn't post it because I conflicted myself so many times.

San Jose is a young, fast paced team. Super fun to watch. But with the loss of a slew of their veteran players, this team is going to need a few more seasons to mature, I think. Nearly every player on the team is going to need a career year to get the Sharks into the playoffs. I'd like to see it happen, but the the conference really seems a bit too deep for SJ to keep afloat...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Except he'll be an UFA after that, so in terms of looking out for #1 it could still work out better for him.

Actually Luongo still has another year after this one before he becomes an UFA.

I c&p'd this from the NHL site:

The Panthers can begin renegotiating with Luongo on Jan. 1 for another long-term deal. As a restricted free agent, the netminder can seek arbitration next summer or negotiate a new deal with the team.

If there is no deal by Dec. 1, 2006, Luongo would be forced to sit out the 2006-07 season before becoming an unrestricted free agent at the completion of that season.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I say ship him off to the Canucks for Cloutier.

Tickets are going on sale for Edmonton games soon. I'm excited. Some friends and I are going to break my NHL game cherry in the new year. Hopefully we're looking to score seats for the Feb.4 game versus Vancouver.

When does training camp start for the Oil?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I'm gone for a week and NOONE EVEN MENTIONS THE LEAFS WHILE I AM GONE?! Hethens.

Anyhow, did anyone watch that silly Hockey Boxing Thingie they showed a short while ago? Featuring Link "The Missing Link" Gaetz.. If the new rules end up working as they should, that's where I predict the old-time enforcers will end up working instead. Which is fine with me, since I've never believed in fighting in hockey (I believe in better referees).

Did anyone hear about the Zetterberg rumour? Someone said he might end up in Toronto.. for Alexander Steen. I'd love to have Zetterberg, but I'd hate to lose Steen. Steen (who is admittedly unproven in the NHL) is like a smaller, less talented version of Ovechkin.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hey, it was a slow week with the exception of Hossa/Heatley. I keep reading rumours of Ryan Smyth being involved in a trade with Detroit. If it nets the Oil Zetterburg, I'm all for it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Of those 78 games 10 are pay per views. I ordered a few of them last year and was highly entertained. Backstage interviews after the games and during intermissions were a plus.

On a sadder note the season opener on October fifth will be carried by TSN. As much as I'm looking forward to hockey I haven't missed Pierre McGuire and his 'he's a warrior, what a monster play' quotes.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I wonder what's up in NHL-land? Still 140+ players not signed and nothing seems to be happening. I mean, there are even some big names unsigned as of yet (Bondra, come to Toronto, you know you want to!). As soon as the Leafs settles the Nolan dispute, they will have some room to move again. Leafs desperately needs high scoring wingers!

Datsyuk signed with a russian club today. He was saying that he wanted at least $6 million to return to Detroit, and Detroit 'only' offered him 5.. The guy was comparing himself to Thornton and Heatley, and although I think Datsyuk is a really talented hockey player with a very bright future, that might still be a bit.. optimistic of him. He's not quite a Thornton or Heatley yet.

This is a problem though. Zetterberg and his agent postponed their dealings with Detroit for a few days to wait until the Detroit-Datsyuk situation solved itself. With Datsyuk gone, I am sure Detroit are quite keen on keeping Zetterberg.. and Toronto is out of the game again. Damn.