Half-Life

Darkside

I'm just wondering about the HL2 expansion coming out this summer (is it an expansion? or is it a stand alone in the HL universe?) The one major beef I had with HL2 was they didn't explain the progression from HL1 where you work for the US and everything is status quo, to having aliens control the world because of the admin from Black mesa patenting everything there.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm just wondering about the HL2 expansion coming out this summer (is it an expansion? or is it a stand alone in the HL universe?) The one major beef I had with HL2 was they didn't explain the progression from HL1 where you work for the US and everything is status quo, to having aliens control the world because of the admin from Black mesa patenting everything there.

It was explained in the book. Basically, G-Man froze you in time (obvious) the cascade failure you and your scientist friends started in Black Mesa expanded outwards until it covered the entire Earth. While the cascade failure just went to Xen, it drew the attention of the Combine, which are basically a kinda sorta borg like species in that they take the 'best' aspects of different species and turn them into tools for specific tasks (the factory at the end was one of these facilities. )

The game this summer is an Expansion. And I'm really hoping we'll face some Stalkers this time around. (Worker dudes you saw while you were riding around in the factory, and sometimes in those coffin things next to you. They used to be human, but were stripped of all their higher brain functions, and put on those stilts so they couldn't get away easily. Also, rather than blood in their veins, all that's there now is a saline solution. )

Book? theres a book now?

Raising the Bar

I got it for $15 when I bought my copy of Half Life 2 on the day of release.

It fills in a lot of the back story that was cut, and it explains a lot of the creatures, the reason I know about the Stalkers is because they were originally supposed to be an enemy that you actually felt pity for as you shot it down.

It's not only interesting, it's also a nice hardcover book. Coffe Table quality for sure.

I got raising the bar for free with my collector's edition :D

I think part of the charm of Half-Life is being in a WTF is going on type setting.

As for the "derailment" the original post asked me to post my thoughts on Halo 1 and 2. And unfortunately that requires me to state "overhyped" and point out a game that I feel is much better, despite being released years before.

I'd say the innovation of Deus Ex was genre-bending. It used to be the taboo thing to do in gaming, and most prior attempts were often lackluster.

Deus Ex sported an excellent narrative, a character development system that allowed for an experience unique to the user playing the game, all combined in an easy to use first-person interface....all in the same package.

The worst thing in the game is the short sightedness of the NPCs. But that always seems to be a problem in any game that allows "sneaking" I find.

Most of this thread has dealt with direct comparisons of Halo and Half Life.  That is being on-topic.

No, now you're all either talking about just Deus Ex or Half Life without even mentioning Halo. What the hell is so hard about just creating another thread? Now you guys are just spamming a thread that was created for Halo! If you guys want to talk about Half-Life so bad, make another thead! Don't do it in this one!

(Fionavar, requesting a lockdown for thread at coordinates... Do you read, over?)

Most of this thread has dealt with direct comparisons of Halo and Half Life.  That is being on-topic.

No, now you're all either talking about just Deus Ex or Half Life without even mentioning Halo. What the hell is so hard about just creating another thread? Now you guys are just spamming a thread that was created for Halo! If you guys want to talk about Half-Life so bad, make another thead! Don't do it in this one!

(Fionavar, requesting a lockdown for thread at coordinates... Do you read, over?)

Mothman, it is the evolution of a thread.

It has all been thoughtful discussion about games, the only 'Spam' posts have been yours.

Also, have some :( It'll make you feel better.

I recieved a request to lock this thread, but as the conversation is both civil and on-topic, I see no reason to do so. If anyone would like a "pure" Halo thread then I would advise you to start a fresh one since this one is unsaveable.

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

there are differences between SS2 and Deus. SS2 seems to be more detail oriented than Deus with guns breaking down and buying things with hard to obtain nanites (at least until you get the psi powah). Dues's skill system was larger than SS2's. It's arugable that Deus's biomod system was equal to the Psi stuff and the stat changing. but I doubt it. I never really understood the reasons for having stats in a FPS game. Imagine some of the equipment "Plus 7 to strength".

Deus Ex's writing didn't strike me as that good. The devs just took every available modern and old conspiracy theory and tried to fit them into the story. Seriously, find the post mortem of DE somewhere in the net; there were tons of cut areas and twists in the vein of secret moonbases etc.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Deus Ex's writing didn't strike me as that good. The devs just took every available modern and old conspiracy theory and tried to fit them into the story. Seriously, find the post mortem of DE somewhere in the net; there were tons of cut areas and twists in the vein of secret moonbases etc.

your Post mortem curtosy of Gamasutra.com

Edit: I decided to be nice and just give you my login. Acct name Calaxprimal@yahoo.com Password:380cefcd

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001206/spector_01.htm

It's a left over from college.

Nah.

It's not really interesting if you're not a DE or Spector fanboi.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Man, we sure kicked the snot out of that other thread.

Did you see what Authority said...before it disappeared? Right after he locked it?

I wish I took a screenshot for posterity, I would've if I knew it was going to go all poof like that.

Holy crap Darkside, the new Halo topic not only got locked, it got deleted!

Shame too, the closing statement by Authority, as well as the rest of the thread had me in stitches.

I hate you. I hate you all.

:shifty:

Just the fact that happened so fast was incredible.

Sry bout the length of my last post. I suppose I could have just handed out the acct name and pass...