Half-Life

Darkside

The teased you with it at first,

but by the end game you were finally able to do everything with that Gravity Gun that you wanted to do. Grabbing whole mainframe computers and firing them at hordes of Combine soldiers was too much fun

Keep this up and I'll be replaying it as well. I wonder if I still have the nerve to make it through Ravenholm :D

Had to do it with one eye closed and all the lights on :)

Damn those bloody head-crap controlled walking corpses.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'm inclined to agree nothing overwhelmingly major has happened for some time. Ocasional uses of physics don't really constitute major achievements, and the whole principle of what is considered to be major stems from the use of advances in technology in very few, specific cases or based on little knowledge of a broader gaming spectrum. Halo, Goldeneye and Red Faction albeit entertaining in their own right were only innovative in their own medium; equal or better had been done before on PC.

Then again, that is seen on all mediums and in different ways. In Deus Ex, where were the actual innovative principles? After all, most of the gaming elements celebrated in it weren't particularly new. This doesn't necessarily impact on the entertainment it can provide, but 'major' seems too much of an excessive term considering Thief and System Shock 2 did largely the same and better in some aspects.

The main gist today is that we get dual wielding, light bloom, advanced lighting and more physics but we're still shooting down the same fugly alien and slogging trough the same predictable levels that creeped up into our PCs way back when Doom was king, give or take a couple of cheap thrills. The use of advanced physics is a great idea, but for it to become something major it has got to stop being used in predictable, formulaic ways. For me the joy of using something like a weapon which can manipulate gravity grows thin when I am immediately aware of how and when I should use it, plus of when I can't use it - which would likely be all the times when I would actually like to use it.

Less icing, more cake.

I can just imagine the witty comebacks to this one. "Spoken like a true gamer who never left 1998". Bite me, fanboys.

*bites Role-Player*

I don't really care, in the end. I've had weeks of fun playing both Halos in co-op. And I spent two weeks playing HL 2 through, venturing 8th times in to Ravenholm. I consider getting my moneys worth on both instances.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Cassandra? Is that the daughter of the Captain of the Pillar? or are you refering to a different person?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Cassandra? Is that the daughter of the Captain of the Pillar? or are you refering to a different person?

Nah, can't be her. The Cassandra that wrote the letter was in rehab and had just been "reskinned". I'm willing to bet bad plasma burns. She also knows Sgt. Johnson and has access to the specs for the MJOLNIR armour, so she must be military.

sig2.gif

The teased you with it at first,

but by the end game you were finally able to do everything with that Gravity Gun that you wanted to do.  Grabbing whole mainframe computers and firing them at hordes of Combine soldiers was too much fun

Keep this up and I'll be replaying it as well.  I wonder if I still have the nerve to make it through Ravenholm :D

You know those big giant cargo containers on the Coast?

I modded my Gravity Gun.

I was able to pick those up and throw them at waves of Combine. :lol:

I used the big crane and dropped it on them :thumbsup:

I used the big crane to swing it around, kind of like a demolition ball. It was fun to see those poor soldiers fly all over the place.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

im sorry i can't let this continue. Halo 1 and 2 are wonderful games best games on xbox hands down. halo is not overated, it has lived up to it's hype now if i can find a fault in the halo franchise so far it would be halo 2's ending. Maybe that's me just being impatient and anxious for halo 3 news.

I loaded the demo, played half of it, then uninstalled it. I hastened to uninstall it faster when that annoying Master Wanker started nagging me to buy the game.

It was repetitive and about as interesting as eating the cardboard packaging at a Christmas Banquet.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In Deus Ex, where were the actual innovative principles? After all, most of the gaming elements celebrated in it weren't particularly new. This doesn't necessarily impact on the entertainment it can provide, but 'major' seems too much of an excessive term considering Thief and System Shock 2 did largely the same and better in some aspects.

Writing.

Just because we are still using an analogous system to record thoughts as our ancestors in the Red Sea neighbourhood ten millennia ago doesn't mean that what Shakespeare or Dickens wrote wasn't innovative.

:(

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I loaded the demo, played half of it, then uninstalled it. I hastened to uninstall it faster when that annoying Master Wanker started nagging me to buy the game.

It was repetitive and about as interesting as eating the cardboard packaging at a Christmas Banquet.

[grabs pitchfork] Heretic! :p

Ironic how this is a Halo thread yet so far most people are talking about other games...

I thought Halo was great. It had great graphics, almost no glitches, a decent story (Halo 1, at least), was easy to learn, and very well put together. :thumbsup: And the vehicles were sweet, too.

Edit: Darkside, you changed the title of this to "the new Half-life thread"?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Get out, Half-Life fans! Make your own thread!

Edited by Mothman

[grabs pitchfork]  Heretic!  :p

Ironic how this is a Halo thread yet so far most people are talking about other games...

I thought Halo was great.  It had great graphics, almost no glitches, a decent story (Halo 1, at least), was easy to learn, and very well put together.  :thumbsup:  And the vehicles were sweet, too.

Yeah. I'm not really interested in vehicular combat.

That said, I did enjoy the Half-Life 2 vehicluar sojourns, but they were just to add flavour, I guess. I would have been pretty bored if I had to play much more in the airboat without a weapon, for example.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

im sorry i can't let this continue. Halo 1 and 2 are wonderful games best games on xbox hands down. halo is not overated, it has lived up to it's hype now if i can find a fault in the halo franchise so far it would be halo 2's ending. Maybe that's me just being impatient and anxious for halo 3 news.

I traded it in to buy a second copy of AvP2 after losing one of the discs. :thumbsup:

Edit:  Darkside, you changed the title of this to "the new Half-life thread"? 

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Well it aparently is. Where's a mod when you need one? <_< I've seen threads get locked for much less.

Oh and Meta, thanks for your help. She looks like she'd fit in great in 2552. :D Seriously though, does anyone know? Does anyone even have a guess?

sig2.gif

[grabs pitchfork] Heretic! :p

I thought Halo was great. It had great graphics, almost no glitches, a decent story (Halo 1, at least), was easy to learn, and very well put together. :thumbsup: And the vehicles were sweet, too.

Edit: Darkside, you changed the title of this to "the new Half-life thread"?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Get out, Half-Life fans! Make your own thread!

It's not our fault Half Life is more awesome than Halo and Halo 2 combined. :shades:

So anyhow, I think the a couple of the best/worst things that happened to me while playing Half Life 2, were because of not only the immersiveness, but also the attention to detail.

Valve used the sound of a Bull Elk baying for the Black Headcrab Zombies. We have Bull Elk around here. I was about ready to grab a shotgun one time after I had finished with a 3 hour marathon session and successfully escaped Ravenholm, only to turn the game off, walk to the fridge to grab a bite to eat, and then out of nowhere I heard a Bull Elk baying Black Headcrab Zombie.

Another time my sister's kitten Headcrab was rustling around in a plastic bag and I whacked it with a piece of hardwood floor siding my crowbar.

So anyhow, I think blah blah blah blah

20030820165122.jpg

Fixed. :(

Anyway, in Halo 2 we faced basically the same enemies as we did in Halo 1: the covenant, the flood, and the sentinals. I wonder if in Halo 3 they'll introduce a new enemy/alien species into the mix. Possibly the forefunners? Maybe they weren't all destroyed, as we thought. :ph34r:

I'd also like to know exactly what the gravemind was in Halo 2. They never really explained what it was, how it got there, or if there was more than one of them. I'm thinking it's some sort of collective conscience for the flood that controls them, sort of like the Overmind in Starcraft. Thoughts on this?