New Marvel Comics RPG Announced

funcroc

The major problem with working a video game into marvel is trying to fit it into Continuity.

Marvel arent as concerned with continuity as LucasArts are, and they have multiple continuities too. And since you cant expect people to know whats going on in the Uncanny X-men universe, you cant let it affect whats happening in the game because people who just play games would be confused.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Marvel could just for sh!t and giggles make this an Ultimate continuity game. I'd play it. Would you people?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, why not? As long as it has John Howlett and Emma Frost in it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Why?

kirottu said:

Vide ut sub

The major problem with working a video game into marvel is trying to fit it into Continuity. I have enough trouble trying to deal with Kyle Katarn being in some books and such. I'd prefer not to have a Captain America in a comic who mentions having turned some new guy into crap during the events of the video games. (just so folks know Marvel runs on a wierd time scale where about 7 years worth of comics is 1 year in the lives of the hero's) Also theirs trying to keep All 1000+ comics PER CHARICTER strait. XML got away with it because they could ignore some things that happened in the comics. Storm being a vampire for 2 books and the fact that nightcrawler could barly port for a long long time come to mind. (for those BAMPF freaks out there he's doing semibetter with kitty raising Collosus's little sister, he can port short distances but not very quickly). I think the game might, just might, be able to get away with this sort of thing but you never know because they might also set it in the Ultimates universe.

Calax, you really need to relax.

Not only would it be almost impossible to keep continuity in the comic universe (as, let's face it, even the publishers aren't interested in doing so), but what would be the point? :)

And then, once you decide to spend 90% of your writing budget to check that all the continuity is sound, which continuity are you going to match? :ermm:

It's just a game, an instant in one of the multiverses, not a integral part of any timeline. It's fantasy, after all. o:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh, I thought you just were against Ultimate in general.

I didn't mean that it should exaclty fit into the continuety. That recently released X-men game did it fine. The setting was vaguely Uncanny, aka main continuety, but it had bits and pieces of Ultimate here and there.

They could just pass off the feeling of Ultimate universe. The main continuety is sort of drowsy. This is a taste issue however.

kirottu said:

Yeah, obviously some continuity is needed for referential anchoring (otherwise The Hulk might turn out to be purple, for example). But being anal about the backstory, when it is quite clear that even the publishers aren't too concerned about it, is just setting yourself up for a fall.

:ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I agree. Developers shouldn't limit theirselves. And I prefer originality above all.

And I'm level 5, it seems.

kirottu said:

Actually Marvel tries to fit everything into continuity, DC is the one that hit's the reset button every few years. Don't worry I'm just giving voice to a former roomates pet peeves.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

that's a movie GOA. And Marvel has a continuity that they try to keep intact. That's the reason they made the ultimates. because they got to the point where they had to do Adventures (put everybody back in highschool again), What If?'s (what if the punisher worked for the mob? What if Captain America hadn't been found?), and one other thing that' I'm forgetting off the top of my head. I'm just saying it would be nice if the wern't held to a single continuity.

An rpg set in Age of Apocalypse? That would be...very interesting.

kirottu said:

I'm gonna say Crisis of Infinate Earths, Zero Hour, And some wierd tales from the 80's for DC. I can say I'm happy they are bringing back Hal Jordan tho.

I just wonder who the main groupies are going to be in the RPG. The current set of avengers? Xmen? Fantastic Four (they can only get better in game world)?

Hopefully not Avengers, too damn omnipotent.

kirottu said:

I'm just happy that Time-Warner (the folks who own DC) hasn't decided to put out a JLA game. They be omnipotent. At least the Avengers can die without taking down half a country with them (superman and doomsday back in '92?)

I liked the fact that humanity actually tried to do an Marvel style "Superhumans will take over the world we have to kill them" power play in Kingdom Come. I do find the fact that Superman wasn't laid out in a couple of punches by Capt. Marvel a tad bit odd. For those who don't know Supe's is mildly vulerable to Magic.

About omnipotency; DC heroes are even worse. Super is really good choice of word.

kirottu said:

I think Marvel should definately be stronger than Superman.

He was brainwashed in KC

,with the Wisdom of Solomon he would have prolly crushed superman.

Anyway Kingdom Come is the only comic that I actually like the Man of Steel.