Spore

Pope

Did you intentionally misconstrue Numbers statement or are you just one of those who fails to read and/or think before responding?

I didn't read any side of this topic. I only posted my opinion.

So, to answer Arch's question, you are one of those posters who just doesn't think, before posting ... :huh:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I say we get back on actual discussion about Spore. The game does merit some serious discussion.

I haven't watched the 30 minute video, but from what I read, it goes from simple Pac-Man mini-games in the beginning to complex Civilization and Sim City management in the middle stages of the game.

Given the complexity in the rendering engine, and how unique models and animations must be made on the fly, and the many varied stages of gameplay they are shooting for, does anyone believe the middle stages of complex management have any shot of being good or balanced?

Guest Fishboot
I haven't watched the 30 minute video, but from what I read, it goes from simple Pac-Man mini-games in the beginning to complex Civilization and Sim City management in the middle stages of the game.

Well, that's how Wright himself describes it - he says this bit is Pac-Man, this bit is Diablo, this bit is such and such. The whole presentation kind of reminds me of the charm of playing through Katamari Damacy - you keep running into new scales of play that surprise you.

Given the complexity in the rendering engine, and how unique models and animations must be made on the fly, and the many varied stages of gameplay they are shooting for, does anyone believe the middle stages of complex management have any shot of being good or balanced?

I think the "greatest hits" gameplay will probably lend itself to a kind of spartan balance, since each phase of the game won't have to be so expansive that balance becomes an impossible proposition. On the other hand I suspect power gaming will be possible - for example, in the video Wright shows an organism creation that shows off Spore's dynamic stride determination (and the algorithm doesn't break down even with the whackiest organism constructions - there's one creature that has two legs that bifurcate at the midleg into two smaller legs, and the stride determiner algorithm pulled it off without a hiccup). I'm sure that "real" leg formations (say, a leopard-like bounding) will blow away really whacky strides as far as speed goes (since evolution is the ultimate power gamer). Although obviously as a sandbox game making amusing organisms will be as fun a pastime as making the ultimate death beast. I don't know how strong the thread of "progression" based play will be in the final game.

Watch the video - it put a big smile on my face, and I'm as jaded as the next guy.

As I picture it, you will goals to accomplish in each stage of the game. Once you beat one stage, you have new and seperate goals in the next stage. Thusly your performance in previous stages is more of a pass/fail type of thing, rather than a snowball effect.

Obviously your choices in the early stages affect the later stages on a cosmetic effect. You could have underwater cities if your critter decides to live underwater. However, I'm not sure choosing an idealized set of features in the early stages of the game will make the later stages easier.

It's just that you quoted numbers man, and then made a post that seemed to criticize numbers man, although it seemed more like violent agreement or something.

:wub: Okay, I understood what you mean! :):lol: I read the post I quoted wrong! Sorry, I am no native English speaker and sometimes it is difficult for me to read some simple sentences! :cool:

:lol: