KOTOR II Wins Best RPG of the Year at G-Phoria

Bloodlines is new and original to many people, but I've been playing in said setting for 5-6 years now. I also played the previous Vampire game, Redemption, which wasn't all that great.

A friend of mine got Bloodlines at launch and he called it the slowest, buggiest game he has ever played in his life. I decided to wait to grab it on the cheap, post-patch.

Well, on the date stuff:

Half-Life 2 was released October 2004, so making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005...

Which doesn't mean KOTOR2 was ALSO released in December 2004 (Only North-America X-Box though)...

So both shouldn't be in 2005 competition, if you look it that way...

(Not that both games shouldn't get GOTY awards of 2005, since we are only half-way into the year...)

Well, on the date stuff:

Half-Life 2 was released October 2004, so making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005...

Which doesn't mean KOTOR2 was ALSO released in December 2004 (Only North-America X-Box though)...

So both shouldn't be in 2005 competition, if you look it that way...

(Not that both games shouldn't get GOTY awards of 2005, since we are only half-way into the year...)

What? I bought my copy of Vampires in either October or November. Not sure what you mean by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.."

In fact, both were released at the same time, if I remember correctly, since Valve didn't care because Vampires was using an older version of the Source Engine and probably wasn't worried about that older (and poorer performance) version being ripped off.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

While I'm happy for Obsidian, I'm sort of disappointed that they could win for an unfinished game... I mean, what signal does that send to the rest of the industry - it's okay to release horribly cut and unfinished games because they'll sell and get awards anyway? :ermm:

Yah but that doesn't mean that Obsidian didn't work their asses off. I pretty sure that they were given the least amount of time to make KOTOR2 than the other nominees and they still won.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

What?  I bought my copy of Vampires in either October or November.  Not sure what you mean by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.."

Mmm, maybe sooner available in the US? And by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.." I meant that Valve forbidded other companies to bring Half-Life 2 Engine games on the market before Half-Life 2...

Vampires was released after Half-Life 2 atleast...

In fact, both were released at the same time, if I remember correctly, since Valve didn't care because Vampires was using an older version of the Source Engine and probably wasn't worried about that older (and poorer performance) version being ripped off.

No, they were not released at the same time. HL2 was sooner, and they still cared about their engine..., which is also the reason Vampire came after Half-Life 2 even if they finished it about a year before...

I may be remembering wrong (old age and all) but I specifically remember them being released at the same time because I remember people remarking at the fact that Valve would allow Vampires to be released so close to HL2. At most, it was a week after HL2's release, which still puts Vampires' release it much sooner than December or January.

Edit: my join date on a VtMB message board was December 1, 2004. Before that there was a different "unofficial" message board that I was a member of for atleast 3 weeks to a month. So based on that, Bloodlines was released, at the latest, about late October, early November here in NA.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So they are filming this award show tonight, I wonder if Feargus and MCA are there right now accepting this award, dressed in penguin suits, thanking their moms, fans, and 'Ray and Greg' for making this possible.

So they are filming this award show tonight, I wonder if Feargus and MCA are there right now accepting this award, dressed in penguin suits, thanking their moms, fans, and 'Ray and Greg' for making this possible.

No they filmed it two days ago and they're showing it on the 8th.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

• 2 weeks later...

So I happened to catch the part of the Gphoria award show today when they announced KOTOR2 as the winner for best RPG - and half expected to see some Obsidian people accept the award, but instead - a tiny little 2 inch by 2 inch window pops up in the lower corner of the screen (yes I do have a small TV to begin with) with these tiny little people, much too small for the human eye to see, accepting the award for about 2 seconds and then the show moves on to something else - to suit the attention span of their target audience. But, whoever that was in the tiny window - congratulations, any photo's of the award or show you want to show?

Battlewookie is drunk.

Half-Life 2 was released on November 16th, as was Bloodlines.

There was concern that Bloodlines would be delayed due to some sort of contract arrangement, but it turns out the contract only stipulated that Bloodlines could not be released before Half-Life 2.

Both were released on the same day.

I know this since when I went to pick up my copy of Half-Life 2, Bloodlines was right beside it (in addition to all the hoopla about it being released on the same day that was all over the internet)

I'm pretty sure they came out on the same day.

I think there are two reasons Bloodlines was so buggy.

1 - It's possible they started with a much earlier version of Source, while Half Life 2 was constantly evolving.

2 - Troika never demonstrated they were good at releasing clean code.

"It's possible they started with a much earlier version of Source, while Half Life 2 was constantly evolving."

Yep, spot on. It was like the third or fouth version of the engine, while HL 2 was using the newest. This resulted in the textures for models getting updated and memory issues(memory leak, anyone?) hopping up.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

mmm...Arkane...*twitches*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Battlewookie is drunk.

Half-Life 2 was released on November 16th, as was Bloodlines.

There was concern that Bloodlines would be delayed due to some sort of contract arrangement, but it turns out the contract only stipulated that Bloodlines could not be released before Half-Life 2.

Both were released on the same day.

I know this since when I went to pick up my copy of Half-Life 2, Bloodlines was right beside it (in addition to all the hoopla about it being released on the same day that was all over the internet)

See, I knew it. But what do we know :alanschu:, we're not moderators. :ermm:"

I guess its now that I realize how little competition there is for a good RPG this year.

I think it pretty well totally blows that an half-finished game won, but if theres a saving grace its that a good company got the award and will hopefully be able to turn this into future success. That is unless your future games suck, then I hate you.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I guess its now that I realize how little competition there is for a good RPG this year.

Yet it was up against Jade Empire, a Bioware game that got better reviews. I'm still quite impressed that Kotor 2 won. Maybe it's the PC gamers that make the difference. :)"

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Maybe it's the PC gamers that make the difference. :alien:"

Tell that to Lucasarts. Maybe next time they won't make us PC gamers wait for the game for the THIRD TIME. *cough*simultaneousreleasemybutt*cough* <_<

Tell that to Lucasarts.  Maybe next time they won't make us PC gamers wait for the game for the THIRD TIME.  *cough*simultaneousreleasemybutt*cough*  <_<

Well, over here we got it the same time as the X-Box people. Sadly, that was two months after North America. :rolleyes: So long as they keep making a PC version, I don't mind delays too much, yet I fear the coming console darkness. :ph34r:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think it pretty well totally blows that an half-finished game won, but if theres a saving grace its that a good company got the award and will hopefully be able to turn this into future success. That is unless your future games suck, then I hate you.

Jade Empire was also half a game at best. 14 hours does not constitute Game of the Year.

KOTOR:2 was really good for probably 30 hours. The ending was still horrid, but I got twice the good hours out of KOTOR:2 than I did Jade Empire.