Downloading Kotor 2....

Is it illegal to download Kotor 2 for PC if you already bought 2 copies for Xbox? My friend bought Kotor 2 with Christmas money and then his baby cousin broke it. So he bought another version that still works. He still wants to use the mods and stuff so he is downloading the PC version. Is that illegal?

That's brilliant talking about piracy on the game manufactors message board.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The laws vary from country to country but the basic rule people use is that you can make a backup copy of something you own. I can sorta see how it's a "copy" of KotOR 2 but that's it. It's a different copy (PC), and not a backup that you're making.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

When you say his cousin 'broke' his first copy, did he keep the bits? Chances are you could persuade either the publisher or the retailer to replace the disc, provided it's clear you have a broken original. Then you could sell that second hand, and by the time you've done all this, Kotor 2 will be available at budget prices. :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Nah he never thought of that. He just chucked it and bought a new one the next day. But now he wants the mods so he wants to download it but he wants to be legal so he's just going to buy it....again. Now I'm going to play Kotor 2 so no more questions for me, he has his answer.

Thank you people.

Pleasure was ours :p

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Piracy is piracy. If in doubt, such as cases like this, it is always advisable to contact the publisher a/o retailer. Not only does piracy always end up affecting the consumer - through higher prices and less developing houses - the simple fact of malware/viruses ends up outweighing the perceived benefit.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: