Do you like console shooters  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like console shooters

• Consoles all the way
    • I like both
    • A mouse and keyboard are the only way to go
    • I like to vote
    • I don't care

I was, but I stepped away when most team members refused to stay in contact. I spent all my time babysitting, while people debated the direction of the project rather than handling the tasks laid out before them. Mind you, I did disappear for a while, but that was a combination of my frustration with one really dissenting team member, my computer dying, and personal issues popping up.

When I was able to come back to work a few weeks later, the same team member was trying to junk the plot and kept arguing about eveything and dealing with petty ****.

I'm not interested in childish games. I just want to put out a finished product. And to do that, I think I need to be harsh and authoritarian around next time around. I'll take suggestions, hand out a design doc and tasks, and people can either do them, or not be on the team.

I think the problem was that the recruitment phase started off on this board. Not a very good screening tool, as anyone can post. Likeminded individuals are really a must. One bad team member is all it takes to break the team morale.

Showing your authority when necessary is definitely a must, since you're the one who has to compile everything together. I'm an absolute tyrant with my team at times - but they love me for it, or so I tell myself :)

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I thought the same thing. I tried establishing an email address for each team member, that either forwarded to their email of choice, or a new mailbox if they desired @projectfanout.com

Most team members were real eager to sign up and make huge promises, while a few never even would get back to me on their email preferrences for how the team could contact them.

In the end, about 4 people out of 17 seemed to want to work.

I think what helps with my project is that all the team members are buddies, so the relationship isn't simply limited to the project. It can make a big difference in terms of getting things done.

You would also benefit from a better source of communication than just email or a board. IM or even a chatroom would be more effective in keeping updated.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

My best friend (a far better programmer than I) joined the team, and then not only never responded to email, but never once posted at the team forums.

Darque, I understand why she left. Volourn, well he just never actually wrote.

I'll start a new topic for this later. I'm going to try and get my wife to email me a copy of the design doc from home and I may dust it off tonight and then try to get ahold of people again. But the for the time being, we should shift back on topic.

Hmm, this is non-trivial.

Even though it's from 1998, I would say that Half-Life is defintitely up there in the top three. Half-Life 2 is, too, but more for the superlative engine and narrative references back to the original, and Opposing Forces was pretty cool too, until the narrative fell away into a standard level upon level "end-boss" sequence.

Deus Ex would have to be up there in the top three as well, mainly because it has role-play elements on top of the FPS base, and because in no smal part to the extraordinary narrative and multiple endings (and I don't really play war games).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I love the PC, I just can't figure out how to work a Console (you hit this button sixteen times to throw a grenade, and here's a fold out chart on how to punch sombody.) I just love my keyboard :):):wub::wub::wub::wub:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

controlers are simple but with a keyboard, once you figure out the basic's of one game you know them all, there are a few things that are different (like in Project: snowblind the aug's activate button was Alt :thumbsup: ) but otherwise they are almost the same.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.