Will Obsidian ever make Handheld games?

I say neigh! Because sometimes I think I'm a horse.

I dunno.....something about them just makes me think they won't. Perhaps because I compare them to BIS, Bioware and whatnot, and from my limited memory none of them make handheld games either.

I'd hope for no, for the purely selfish reason of I don't have a hand held, and likely will not be getting one :D

Why couldn't you make a decent RPG for handhelds?

Well

1) Inventory, due to the smaller screen, you have either

* have really small letters

* Just a very tiny description for items

* A huge scroll bar

And then I haven't even talked about the amount of items, just description per item

2) Combat, seeing due to the small screen, combat has to be fought in a different place then the walking/exploring and such (maybe changed on the PSP, I haven't seen one of these here yet), or it would be hugely chaotic

3) The world itself. On a handheld you can't have like 6 different unique looking planets..., if it wants to look a bit like something

4) Convo's. Since Handhelds can be used in public areas you can forget spoken lines at all, reducing the intermersion (spelled wrong, I know) with the World created...

And this are just a few...

The DS has two screens so that on one screen your inventory can always be up.

Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc. all prove you can have a pretty good RPG on a handheld.

The PSP sports PS2 caliber graphics, and both new handhelds have wireless mutliplayer support.

Several classic console RPGs are getting ported to handhelds.

Pokemon isnt an action game. Pokemon is less an action game than KOTOR :p

Dawn of Souls (FF I&II) on the GBA are not that different (they added some new bits) to the PS version.

I was reading about a new mech game for the PSP coming out in Japan but I seem to have lost the link :">

I'm still not sold on the PSP..

It's a bit delicate compared to the DS and the games I've seen so far are not the sort of thing that you can play in limited time period. I'm sure something will come out that will motivate me to buy one at some point.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Maybe eventually, after they've built a resume of games on their own merit (ie. no more BIS credit games). It'd be interesting to hear Feargus or one of the Chris's comment on whether this is Obsidian's near future goals.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It depends on the interface. You're all stuck in the "handhelds must have a tiny screen" paradigm. Why can't there be some other sort of interface, like Voice-activation, and Speech? Or some sort of HUD?

With the rate of convergence as it is, it won't be long before the last remaining hurdle to everything-on-a-PDA will be the interface; it will then be obvious that the solution will be the next, and biggest, "killer-app".

That will be interesting. But it'll take five-to-ten, i think.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It depends on the interface. You're all stuck in the "handhelds must have a tiny screen" paradigm. Why can't there be some other sort of interface, like Voice-activation, and Speech? Or some sort of HUD?

You forget one thing:

The thing can be used in public places.

As if it is not enough all these damn mobile phone-calls are there, speaking to your handheld will further frustrate Everybod arround you, especially if it is a very long game you play, you need to talk often or you need to speak very loudly...

If Voice-Controlled games are made for handhelds, excpect them to become Illegal to use in many places, like mobile phones already are.

Except This is going to be even more frustrative...

A pair of shades that have a 480x320 3d (two images can be co-ordinated like those awful glasses) rendered image to super-impose on (or replace) the RL view, wireless earphones and some sort of input device (verbal, somatic, telepathic, etc, ... whatever).

It's coming, you know it is ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

4) Convo's. Since Handhelds can be used in public areas you can forget spoken lines at all, reducing the intermersion (spelled wrong, I know) with the World created...

A) It's immersion.

B) Hand helds have headphone jacks.

C) "Pokomon" is an action game?

I've never been a big fan of handheld games, so my personal preference would be for Obsidian to stick to PC or console games since those are the ones I'm more likely to end up playing.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

PC game sales are down, while mobile game sales are up, and probably have a much higher profitability due to an overall smaller game with less art resources.

I know you can get Dark Alliance I and II on the GBA. Does anyone know who is responsible for the GBA ports?

Handheld games are simpler to make.

Because you dont have to worry about making everything realistic, you can focus on the gameplay without anyone getting worked up over it. No one at the moment expects realistic looking handheld games.

It's also the market with the most rapid growth where as the other markets are stagnating or just not selling (PC market for example).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]