Happy Birthday USA

EnderAndrew

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

And let us not forget those who have fought and died to take down those who would threaten freedom and the American way of life. We would not have what we have today were it not for their actions and sacrifices. You will always be remembered for your bravery and courage. Hooah!

main_image_patriotic.jpg

p26.jpg

1american_flag_and_eagle.jpg

GOD BLESS THE USA

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

and that the US has never lost a war in their history (false).

That's actually technically true. We have never openly admitted defeat in a war, so we've technically never lost a war. Many have said that we lost the Vietnam War, but all we really did was pull out. We have never signed a declaration of defeat. If we had lost a war, we wouldn't be saluting like this:

salute.jpg

If we were defeated in a war, we would salute like this:

british_salute2.jpg

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

Many have said that we lost the Vietnam War...

That certainly is the consensus amongst my Vietnamese friends. o:)

But this is a day for celebration. The US has given much to the world, including today's Comet strike - pushing the bounds of science forward. Let them celebrate (we can resume the assault tomorrow ;) ).

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

But this is a day for celebration.  The US has given much to the world, including today's Comet strike - pushing the bounds of science forward.  Let them celebrate (we can resume the assault tomorrow ;) ).

I seem to recall one American general after desert storm saying now we are 1-1-1.

Which translated means lost one, drew one and won one.

not admiting you lost vietnam would seem more dellusional than factual, but then I'm not an American.

(none of those figures refer to any of the world wars).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

But this is a day for celebration.  The US has given much to the world, including today's Comet strike - pushing the bounds of science forward.  Let them celebrate (we can resume the assault tomorrow ;) ).

I seem to recall one American general after desert storm saying now we are 1-1-1.

Which translated means lost one, drew one and won one.

not admiting you lost vietnam would seem more dellusional than factual, but then I'm not an American.

(none of those figures refer to any of the world wars).

Vietnam wasn't considered a war, but ironically it is referred to as the Vietnam War. It was actually deemed as a "military action".

--John Stewart Mill--

--Black Hawk Down--

Battle of Mogadishu with 19 US killed was military action, Vietnam with 58,000 US soldiers KIA was a frigging war no matter how you wanna put it. Thinking you didn't lose this one is delusional to say the least.

PS. Oh and Jaq, you got something mixed up there, we once ruled them in the Kalmar Union, but never vice versa. Danes were never slaves, but we did have Thralls o:)"

Edit: Steve, in my language it's called the "Falkland Wars", just thought I'd mention it.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

no one lost Vietnam War, it was a stalemate, we didn't win and neither did the North Vietnamese.

Dosnt running away mean an automatic loss ? If one team turns up and the other dosnt the victory goe to the ones who showed up.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

no one lost Vietnam War, it was a stalemate, we didn't win and neither did the North Vietnamese.

P.S.GOD BLESS AMERICA! :lol:  :thumbsup:and support are troops!

They won, in the sense that: You ran away, with them right behind ya shouting nasty words and waving fists/guns/tanks at ya. :lol:"

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Not really. We realized it was not worth the casualties and resentment and pulled out. If I remember correctly, the number of enemy casualties outnumbered the amount of American casualties.

In the words of George Washington: "Strategic retreat over honorable defeat". But that's my opinion, and war can be kind of confusing at times.

Go America!!!! :lol:

our country has been the bastion for freedom for the past 200-some-odd years now.

Being a cynical bastard I would say that above statement is the pure effect of the Straussian notion of "necessary illusions to uphold a sense of national pride and purpouse" and " to propagate myths necessary to give ordinary people meaning and purpose as to ensure a stable society".

In reality, the US is no more a bastion of freedom than any other democratic country like Canada or France or Finland.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Realizing it not being worth it and pulling out is defeat, they outlasted you despite suffering far greater casualties.

DENMARK!

our country has been the bastion for freedom for the past 200-some-odd years now.

Being a cynical bastard I would say that above statement is the pure effect of the Straussian notion of "necessary illusions to uphold a sense of national pride and purpouse" and " to propagate myths necessary to give ordinary people meaning and purpose as to ensure a stable society".

In reality, the US is no more a bastion of freedom than any other democratic country like Canada or France or Finland.

No matter what you say, we were the first. (you could say greece was, but their empire collapsed long ago). Of course we're not the only one anymore, but we are the spark that started it all, and we are the second-biggest democracy in the world (under India). And it is no myth-it's fact in the sense that we are a free, democratic country and have represented that ideal for a long time. Unfortunately, only recently have we truly begun to realize that ideal.

@Lucius: It really depends on your concept of defeat. Sometimes, as in Vietnam's case, defeat can be a hard adjective to use. IMO, it wasn't defeat as much as a stalemate. We gave up because of the lack of support at home and the mounting casualties. We as Americans tend to place a greater value on lives than some other countries, and tend to frown upon casualties in any circumstance. Because of that, we weren't defeated military wise, but were defeated mentally-wise. The Vietnamese in the end had more stamina, and we decided to pull out. As I said, though, that's my opinion, and it's difficult to interpret it one way.

There is absolutely no way the US can take credit in setting of the spark of democracy in the western world. It was the days of the enlightenment where voices everywhere cried out for democracy and freedom from the tyranny of the class system and the church. And the motives of some of the people behind the "american revolution" were very far from altruistic.

And the only ones to see the US as a beacon of freedom and democracy are some of its own citizens.

And what do you mean by?

Unfortunately, only recently have we truly begun to realize that ideal.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "