Fallout 2

Or you can go hand to hand I once beat the game using only unarmed attacks.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

This game has some strange ideas about guns. First of all .223 or 5.56mm as we euros call it, is a relatively weak ammo with no stopping power and definetly nothing you have in sniper rifles or hunting rifles(unless your hunting small animals). The military uses it because it enables soliders to carry more ammo than with larger calibres.

And then that a .44mag revolver fires faster than a Desert eagle? The DE is semiauto while the revolver relies on muscle force to pull the trigger in order to rotate the mechanism.

Interestingly enough, the .223 pistol is one of the best sniper weapons of the game, second only to the Gauss rifle/pistol.

And what is a Gauss gun supposed to be? I remember that in Syndicate it looked very much like a curved  d i l d o.

Supposedly it uses magnetic fields to propel metallic rounds at relativistic speeds. Otherwise it looks just like a corkscrew attached to a rifle handle. A pity they didn't include the Gauss minigun in this game. :ph34r:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Interestingly enough, the .223 pistol is one of the best sniper weapons of the game, second only to the Gauss rifle/pistol.

Is it better than the .223 sniper rifle? Does the SPECIAL rule system have any measurement for weapon accuracy or is the entirely dependant one the character? What Im asking is if a pistol is as accurate as a rifle, only that it has shorter range?

Supposedly it uses magnetic fields to propel metallic rounds at relativistic speeds. Otherwise it looks just like a corkscrew attached to a rifle handle. A pity they didn't include the Gauss minigun in this game. :ph34r:

A magnetic coil gun would never need more than one "barrell" anyways. Since there are no hot powder gasses to overheat the barrel, you dont need any multiple-barrell contraption to help dissipate heat.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A magnetic coil gun would never need more than one "barrell" anyways. Since there are no hot powder gasses to overheat the barrel, you dont need any multiple-barrell contraption to help dissipate heat.

Looks very much like a classic 50's raygun.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You tell that to the poor (and brutally shredded) victims of The Monster:

gatling_gauss.gif

:ph34r:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A more serious question,Im in New Reno. Is it possible to play different factions or am I forever branded once I join one of the families?

I wouldnt want to do anything that would limit my game opportunities.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You tell that to the poor (and brutally shredded) victims of The Monster:

gatling_gauss.gif

The Gauss minigun was a work of art :cool:

Is Fallout 1 worth playing, if I haven't played any of them ?

Yes as long as your not one of those people who likes graphics over substance.

It may kind of bum you out about recent PC RPGs though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yes as long as your not one of those people who likes graphics over substance.

It may kind of bum you out about recent PC RPGs though.

Do you mean I will think less of more recent games, or it will spoil my appreciation for the Fallout series?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think both Fallout 1 and 2 are games for you meta, as you have previously stated you prefer athmosphere over fancy graphics. Not to say the Fo graphics are bad. It's well done and fits the setting perfectly. What I mean is, I think the visuals are artistically well done, but not so technically advanced.

the only thing I don't like about the game, is at the same time one of its strenghts. You can perform the most cruesome acts of barbarism, and even get away with it. I like this for the most part, you should be able to roleplay your pc, but sometimes it goes to far in my opinion.

I can't see the fun in blowing the arms and head of a child with a minigun.

But apart from this, it's a very good rpg. Very much recommended :(

A more serious question,Im in New Reno. Is it possible to play different factions or am I forever branded once I join one of the families?

Doesnt anyone know anything about this? Id hate for it to be so that I join the mob and then get "sorry, youre a mobster and we wont let you into our town anymore" or something like that later in the game.

Zagor> well, there are no parts of the game that specificly require you to blast children with miniguns, so I dont really see any issue there. its an RPG, you're supposed to be able to do anything thats possible in real life, good or bad.

I think both Fallout 1 and 2 are games for you meta, as you have previously stated you prefer athmosphere over fancy graphics. Not to say the Fo graphics are bad. It's well done and fits the setting perfectly. What I mean is, I think the visuals are artistically well done, but not so technically advanced.

the only thing I don't like about the game, is at the same time one of its strenghts. You can perform the most cruesome acts of barbarism, and even get away with it. I like this for the most part, you should be able to roleplay your pc, but sometimes it goes to far in my opinion.

I can't see the fun in blowing the arms and head of a child with a minigun.

But apart from this, it's a very good rpg. Very much recommended  :)

Maim children?! Alright! That's a done deal, then! :D

You'll probably think less of recent games.

That's okay, it'll just re-inforce my already low estimations then ... :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Doesnt anyone know anything about this? Id hate for it to be so that I join the mob and then get "sorry, youre a mobster and we wont let you into our town anymore" or something like that later in the game.

Zagor> well, there are no parts of the game that specificly require you to blast children with miniguns, so I dont really see any issue there. its an RPG, you're supposed to be able to do anything thats possible in real life, good or bad.

Depends on how much of a spoiler you want... :lol:

It's theoretically possible to work for all four families, but if you don't do some of the quests in a particular order, you'll become a "made man" for one family and stuck with them.

But. you don't really "need" any of them, they are just there for a lot of money, girls, booze, xp, interesting story and stuff :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I dont recall if you have to pick a side right away or after you do a few missions. At some point you will have to pick one of them. And you get a different series of quests depending on which one you pick.

I dont think there are any consequences outside of New Reno.

478327[/snapback]

Stop hijacking my hijacking of your thread! :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Maim children?! Alright! That's a done deal, then!  :D

That's okay, it'll just re-inforce my already low estimations then ...  :lol:

Not if your in the UK, though you can download a patch

Not a problem then, it's a classic.

478327[/snapback]

It's theoretically possible to work for all four families, but if you don't do some of the quests in a particular order, you'll become a "made man" for one family and stuck with them.

But. you don't really "need" any of them, they are just there for a lot of money, girls, booze, xp, interesting story and stuff :)

So I just do the quests without joining them?(Ive already wacked Salvatore) Could you say, without too much spoilers, if joining a family will have any major consequences beyond New Reno?

edit: just saw Sp's post.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

So I just do the quests without joining them?(Ive already wacked Salvatore) Could you say, without too much spoilers, if joining a family will have any major consequences beyond New Reno?

Not too much spoilers... one family has a (last) quest for you that gives you a sneak peek into things regarding the past. And a very nice npc if you have insanely high science skill. If you don't, you'll get an otherwise interesting npc although I never tried that (always went for insanely high science)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm sorry if it has brought up before but Seraph made (or rather is still making) a great patch for Fallout 2. It don't work with current savegames though, so you have to start a new game. It's also worth checking Seraph's site every now and then if he found the time to update the patch.

Seraph's site

Well, just to let you know what the patch fixes so far (last build released today) I will repost the readme:

Seraph's Fallout 2 Mod Beta (Packed)

Build 6.5.05

http://seraph.samods.org

Note that I haven't tested all of these changes (particularly the ones involving the

endings), but I believe that they should work. If you find otherwise, please e-mail me at

seraph@unc.edu

Props to everyone that brought me errors to fix in the original game. Really appreciate it!

To install this, first update your game with the official v1.02 patch, then simply unzip this

zipfile into your Fallout 2 directory. You might want to back up the PATCH000.DAT that's already in

the Fallout 2 directory before you overwrite it with the one in this zipfile, though.

I'd like to give props to Haenlomal for his great work on creating v1.02 source scripts. It really

saved me from having to reinvent the wheel. Also, he showed me how to fix numerous bugs involving

the gangs in the Den.

USING THIS PATCH WON'T WORK WITH CURRENT SAVED GAMES!

Here's a list of what this mod changes so far:

Arroyo

* You can now get the Elder's ending.

* Stealing from Hakunin's chest now lowers your karma.

Klamath

* The yellow keycard on the dead Enclave soldier in Klamath canyon has been replaced with a

blue keycard, which can open the door at Navarro that frees Xarn.

* Fixed a bug in Slim Picket regarding his charge for raising your Outdoorsman skill.

* Changed the description of the corpse in Trapper Town.

* Fixed a hole in the wall of the Buckner house.

* Fixed a dialogue error that would appear when talking to the Duntons about rustling cattle.

* You can now unlock the elevator in the toxic caves with the electronic lockpick MK II.

The Den

* Fixed the Nuka-Cola machine in Tubby's so it now dispenses Nuka-Cola like the other machines

do.

* Becky no longer thinks that you destroyed her still if you just talked Frankie into buying

liquor from her.

* Fixed a bug in how your barter skill affects the amount Metzger pays for your companions.

* The members of Tyler's gang should now attack you if you attack whoever's guarding the church

door.

* Fixed an error in One-Tooth Billy's float dialogue.

* Removed the tent roof tiles that were scattered on one of the Den slaver run maps.

* You no longer call Cassidy "MacRae" when selling him to Metzger.

* The game no longer says you've helped Lara's gang when you help Tyler's gang.

* You now get the correct message and experience points for helping Lara's gang.

Modoc

* Jo no longer calls Grisham "Grishum".

* Grisham no longer calls Balthas "Balthus".

* The game no longer locks up when you have sex with Miria or Davin after killing Grisham or

Jo, or when Grisham can't get into the bedroom.

* Fixed a bug that caused Grisham to keep asking for $1500 to compensate for his brahmin,

regardless of whether or not you've already paid him.

* Fixed a bug that caused your followers to stop following you around town if you successfully

convince Grisham that you were just giving Miria or Davin a physical when he catches you

having sex with them.

* When you sleep with one of Grisham's kids, your inventory is no longer dropped onto the

ground (since it's a real pain to pick back up). Instead, your armor is removed.

Vault City

* The guards in the courtyard of Vault City now acknowledge your status as Captain of the Guard

(before they just called you a citizen).

* You can now get the good ending for Vault City.

* You can now get radiated by drinking from the well in Vault City's courtyard if you haven't

fixed the Gecko Power Plant.

* Fixed a bug in Happy Harry's stock, where he still has a bunch of expensive items in his

inventory after you end dialogue.

* If Cassidy has the heart pills in his inventory, you can safely use drugs on him that would

normally give him a heart attack.

* Fixed a bug that causes you to become trapped in Vault City's armoury if you try to break in

as a servant.

* Fixed a bug causes Valerie to just give you back a new cattle prod instead of an upgraded one

if you ask her for a discount.

* Fixed a bug that made it difficult to get Dr. Troy to ask you to bring him some jet after the

v1.02 patch.

* Fixed the bug in the Vault City Ammenities Sub-Officers that caused them to charge less if

you weren't a citizen.

* Randal's prices are now higher (since the person who programmed Vault City wrote all of the

barter modifiers so that they did the exact opposite of what was intended).

* The gate guards no longer call Marcus a "ghoul" or Lenny a "mutant."

* Stark must now actually see Marcus or Lenny before making a fuss about bringing them into the

city.

* It's now possible to get the Autodoc Enhanced/Lowered Hitpoints II perks from the Autodoc in

the Vault City courtyard.

Gecko

* You can now get the good ending for Gecko.

* You can now get Harold's ending.

* You can now get radiated by drinking from the well in Gecko if you haven't fixed the Power

Plant.

* Fixed a bug that made Skeeter upgrade your weapons for free if your barter skill is greater

than 90%.

* Fixed some bugs in Gecko Power Plant Desk Guard's dialogue:

o A loop where you can't end dialogue.

o An instance where you say you want to ask about something else twice in a row.   

* Your car no longer disappears when you go directly to the junkyard from the world map.

* Harold no longer starts talking about skin when you ask him why he called you Vault Dweller.

* Fixed a bug where you

Redding

* Lou in Redding now marks San Fransisco on your map if you ask her where it is.

* You can now cure Fannie Mae's jet addiction.

* You can now stop the bar brawl in Redding by just talking to both of the miners about the

sheriff's handicap.

* Marge no longer says that Dan supports NCR.

* You must now kill all the Wanamingos in Redding's mine before you get EXP or sell the deed

back.

* Removed the "Reserved Item" that Stanwell is carrying in Redding.

New Reno

* Now in order to assasinate Salvatore, you need to plant the poison tank on him and steal his

oxygen tank.

* Several bug fixes with T-Ray:

o He will now actually have batteries.

o Now he'll correctly measure your speech and charisma when you claim you're one of

Bishop's lieutenants (before he only believed you if you had low speech and/or

charisma).

o He will no longer say that he has batteries for sale just because you have some in your

inventory.

o Now he'll actually give you the car upgrade or the batteries if you sleep with him for

them.

* Several bug fixes with Eldridge:

o He will no longer attack you if you ask him for upgrades after beating the Enclave.

o He no longer grossly overcharges you.

o He no longer upgrades your weapons for free when your barter skill is greater than 90%.

* The New Reno bartenders now charge you LESS (instead of MORE) when you're a prizefighter or

have beaten the Enclave.

* Killing Myron or convincing him to leave will now lower the Mordinos' power instead of

increasing it.

* The hole in the wall of the Cat's Paw has been filled in so you can no longer run through it.

* Fixed a bug that causes a what was ment to be a debug message appear in the display when you

pay Renesco money for the mine part.

* Fixed the bug where Miss Kitty would always charge $703 for dramatic requests, regardless of

the many modifiers that lower her price.

* You can now get S.A.D. on your map via Sam Pritchard's grave in Golgotha.

* Removed the broken NCR disk in the back of Eldridge's store.

* Added old man McGee and his rusty slot machine to Bishop's casino. He's the old guy that you

were able to ask the bartender about, but his script (and his slot machine's) were

mysteriously absent from the map.

* Patched a small hole in a wall on the second floor of Bishop's casino.

* Patched a hole in a shelf in T-Ray's office, and added a missing corner to the southern

building of the chop shop.

* You can now get the secret stash under the "Trash" cross in Golgotha without knowing about

the grenades hidden in a toilet in the Mordino Casino.

* The street band now actually sings.

Sierra Army Depot

* The terminal on the second floor of the Sierra Army Depot now correctly disables the force

fields and shock plates.

* Fixed a continuity error with a couple of the dates given by Skynet.

* The pointless tripwire in S.A.D. has been replaced by a line of traps.

* When you activate the alarm on level 1 of S.A.D., it will now correctly activate the alarm

and release the brain bots within the adjacent secret room, instead of giving you a permanent

artificial RadAway addiction.

* You can no longer turn off the alarm on level 2 of S.A.D. by both attempting to disable it

and hacking into the computer, thus giving you the EXP for both.

* You can no longer walk on top of the pot on level 3 containing a holodisk.

* Changed the descriptions of the dead corpses outside.

* You can now correctly guess the password to disable the shock plates on level 2 of the S.A.D.

Broken Hills

* Fixed an infinite money bug in Broken Hills, where the Refinery Supervisor would keep giving

you money to let him keep the refined uranium. Real players don't exploit bugs.

* Patched a hole in one of the houses in Broken Hills.

* Fixed a bug that caused you to become stuck in dialogue mode with Liz.

* Doc Holiday will no longer take money from stupid players without healing them.

NCR

* Myron will now be removed from your party if you sell him to Merk, all of his items will be

moved to your inventory, and you will not be able to get him back. Big loss.

* You can no longer get the mutagenic serum from Dr. Henry if you already did that quest

before.

* The stairway in Merk's basement has been fixed so it doesn't appear to be going through the

wall.

* The Stockman's Association sign is now in Duppo's shop.

* Fixed the Nuka-Cola machine outside of the slavers' pens so it now dispenses Nuka-Cola like

the other machines do.

* The townsfolk will no longer display "Error" as floating text.

* You can no longer have conversations with the sink at the entrance.

Vault 15

* Zeke is no longer pissed off when you come back to see him after being annexed by NCR.

* The guard on level 3 with the H&K P90c now has the correct ammunition.

* You can no longer have conversations with the sinks on level 2.

Vault 13

* You can now save the deathclaws by killing Dr. Schreber at Navarro, preventing their

slaughter. In addition, if you also fix their computer, you will get the good ending for

Vault 13 in the endgame sequence.

* Joseph in Vault 13 will no longer double your radiation when you ask him to cure you.

* Your party members will now be hidden when you watch the tape of Horrigan killing Gruthar.

San Francisco

* The Captain of the tanker will no longer say that your people are on the oil rig if you

weren't even aware that they were abducted.

* Dr. Fung now correctly installs the dermal and phoenix enhancements (before he wouldn't

remove the initial dermal or pheonix perk before giving you the enhancement perk, so the game

only acknowledged the initial implant perk, so you were just paying him a lot of money to

take your combat armor and beat you with an ugly stick).

* You can now get an ending for the Hubologists.

* Several holes in the walls in the Hubologists' base were filled in so you can no longer run

through them.

* Fixed a hole in one of the walls in the BOS base.

* You can no longer use the chemistry workstations to get fuel for both the tanker and the

Enrologists.

* Your party members will now be hidden when you watch the tape of Horrigan killing Matt.

* Fixed a bug where Chip would get mad at you for asking him for information when in reality

you did no such thing.

* Dr. Fung will no longer cause the game to freeze when you ask him for stimpaks after he

refuses to heal you because you don't have the money to pay him.

* You now have to actually mention Doc Holliday before Dr. Fung will put Chip's spleen back in

for free.

* Fixed a bug where opponents wouldn't be removed from the ring after defeating them.

Navarro

* Now Sarge and the Commander in Navarro uses the male Enclave Patrol prototype. Given Sarge

had a male voice in dialogue, and soldiers refer to the commander as "he," this change was

for continuity.

The Oil Rig

* Frank Horrigan is now classified as "Robotic", and his EMP damage resistance and threshold

have been adjusted accordingly, meaning he can be damaged by pulse grenades. This was done

because according to Seargent Granite, "he's more than half machine."

* Fixed an alarm light on the maze floor that didn't have a script assigned, and thus would

never light up.

* You can now get President Richardson's ending, though I haven't been able to get the picture

to display properly yet.

Global Fixes (a.k.a. Things that don't fit anyplace else)

* Fixed several typos in the dialogues that aren't worth mentioning individually.

* Fixed various instances in the code where functions weren't being used properly.

* You won't keep re-encountering the Cafe of Broken Dreams on the world map.

* You can now get the second Monty Python Holy Hand Grenade encounter.

* The empty hypodermic now weighs nothing.

* Fire geckos now have pelts.

* Changed the way a few items look when dropped on the ground:

o The gold tooth now looks like a gold nugget.

o The poison tank and the oxygen tank now look the same.

o The 8-ball now looks like a grenade.

o Flint now looks like a rock.

o Gecko pelts (regular, golden, and fire) now look like dead geckos.

* Added a custom character file which has all stats set to 10.

* The pulse rifle now has a projectile.

* The turbo plasma rifle now only costs 4 AP to fire.

* You can now get the location of the Mariposa Military Base from travelers (this had been

prevented by a bug).

* The FN FAL HPFA now has a description.

* The endorphin blocker quest will now get crossed off your quest list after you tell Dr. Troy

about your theory of curing the Jet addiction.

* Switched the Bozar and M60 sounds. Supposedly they had been mixed up.

* Made weapon upgrade prices more reasonable.

* Viewing AutoDoc and Alcohol Hitpoint perks on the character sheet will no longer crash the

game.

* You can now punch with the gold nugget, uranium ore, and refined uranium ore. 

^ wow :)

One question, does this fix/restore the game or does this add "new stuff"?

I love patches/fanmadestuff that fixes the game, and loathe those that add "new stuff" (except for cosmetic ones like the new clothes/armors in Morrowind)

I love patches/fanmadestuff that fixes the game, and loathe those that add "new stuff" (except for cosmetic ones like the new clothes/armors in Morrowind)

If you ever made the mistake of buying Dungeon Lords, I am sure you'd love a fan-made patch that added stuff! Dungeon Lords was so rushed, its world is almost completely empty! Most of the houses don't have any furniture, the fireplaces light up the room but there's no fire within, there's even a place where a general has set up camp for his army.. but there's only a lonely general standing there, talking about his mighty army.

I long for the day when someone takes the time to finish the game.. If that ever happens.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I swear, if i ever win the lottery and become a game financer (I figure if I have enough cash I can make people make games ;) ) my company will ONLY release COMPLETE games.

A new standard must be set!!!!

I hate half done games. <_<