What happens when the body dies?

WITHTEETH

Being content would be the problem.

Well, if you had lived life to the fullest (No male enhancement jokes please), as they say, dont you think you would be happy? I would.

If there is something: YES!

If there isn't:...

If there is eternal damnation because you weren't of the faith: Damnit! At least I was able to do all that cool stuff before.

If there is eternal damnation because you weren't of the faith but you were still a good charitabe person: Bummer. Life really isn't fair, but at least I got to do all those other things.

Notice how I am regurgitating all that stuff you were told as a kid?

I remember reading somewhere that some scientists had weighed a body just prior and post mortem, and there was a difference in weight ... the soul has a physical manifestation! (I wonder what the mass of energy is? Like the elctro-chemical energy in the brain.)

Urban legend.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I honestly don't know how to answer this question. After all, I'm a Catholic. ...No, I am a Roman Catholic. I am an adherent to my faith. I have weathered no end of ugly confrontation from folks who do not like Catholics, either from folks who attack on the oblique or even a few frontal assaults every now and then. So, I am entrenched in my religion. I would no longer profess it otherwise.

On the other hand, I hope there is no hell. With all my heart and soul, I hope there is no hell. Catholic or not, I cannot believe that God would create any of his creatures with such an end in mind. An eternity of torment? Must it be so?

It is not for me to decide any fate but my own, and if the atheists are correct, then even that is out of my hands. It is not for any of us to decide, to sit in judgment of what happens after death. There will either be nothing after death, or something. If there is something, as I believe there is, then I will go to heaven. As much of a sinner as I am, I know I will go to heaven and to the arms of a loving God. I pray, fervently, that all people will ultimately enjoy the same fate.

All people hope for divine retribution for folks who have committed evil. How does the saying go?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On the other hand, I hope there is no hell.  With all my heart and soul, I hope there is no hell.  Catholic or not, I cannot believe that God would create any of his creatures with such an end in mind.  An eternity of torment?  Must it be so?

It is not for me to decide any fate but my own, and if the atheists are correct, then even that is out of my hands.  It is not for any of us to decide, to sit in judgment of what happens after death.  There will either be nothing after death, or something.  If there is something, as I believe there is, then I will go to heaven.  As much of a sinner as I am, I know I will go to heaven and to the arms of a loving God.  I pray, fervently, that all people will ultimately enjoy the same fate.

All people hope for divine retribution for folks who have committed evil.  How does the saying go? 

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

alanschu has pretty much a view which at least I share.

The idea of an afterlife is just another one of those carrot/stick systems that religion likes to throw up as a moral compass.

Doees anyone here believe in reincarnation? I don't but what are people's thoughts on that as an alternate to the heaven/hell system.

We either A)Rot, B)Burn, or C)Are artificially preserved.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I see noone has mentioned Valhalla yet, a place of immortality, where those who fall gloriously in battle will go. Once there, they'll arm themselves every day and go to the plains of Asgard to fight in their thousands, and at night they return to Valhalla to feast on boars, not to mention drinking themselves silly by consuming the intoxicating mead. :)

Too bad you have to die gloriously in battle though, think they'll make an exception? :)"

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I remember reading somewhere that some scientists had weighed a body just prior and post mortem, and there was a difference in weight ... the soul has a physical manifestation! (I wonder what the mass of energy is? Like the elctro-chemical energy in the brain.)

Urban legend.

Have you seen this disproved, or are you just asserting such? (If you have a link, post it!)

Anyway, the mass of energy is not going to be measurable; scientists have measured the weight of a smell, however. This means that odour sinks (as well as stinks), so a posie of flowers place high up will disseminate the floral payload downwind as well as downwards. :cool:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Have you seen this disproved, or are you just asserting such? (If you have a link, post it!)

Actually, it should be you the one posting links to it, since it's you who's making the assertion. But no, I don't have any links. I remember a movie dealing with it, but I haven't found any reliable info about it. Which isn't really surprising considering that it makes no sense to formally disprove something that lacks scientific rigour to begin with.

Anyway, the mass of energy is not going to be measurable; scientists have measured the weight of a smell, however. This means that odour sinks (as well as stinks), so a posie of flowers place high up will disseminate the floral payload downwind as well as downwards. :cool:

A smell is a physical, tangible reality, composed by molecules. So far, the soul (or whatever you want to call it) is still in the realm of the metaphysical.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

When I die, I'll either be dead or I'll be on the lovely green fields of Elysium. *shrug* Could be either. I'd prefer the latter, though.

I believe in something kind of like a soul, but less like the conventional view of that, and more like something in the RAM of a PC.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!