Programming languages

Thorlord

Focus on C++, i haven't seen a C-based codebase that wasn't a legacy engine in a while.

The only area where anything other than C++ would help is for tools. We use C# for our toolset needs on NWN2, for instance. That may change, but taking a snapshot of the industry at this point would yield 95% of the games being developed in C++.

Assembly is always nice to know, but being an expert isn't that important. We've run tests against assembler and the latest compilers are pretty hard to beat. You can beat them, of course, but the savings is minimal and should only be used where needed. This means you won't be called upon to write much assembler these days.

The exception used to be hardware shaders, but those have since gone the route of HLSL making it less important to remember the not-so distant days of shader assembly. I do believe that shader assembly is still important to analyze the output of HLSL compilers since they are relatively new and there is every possibility for not-what-you-intended assembly of the HLSL code.

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure that you keep up with the industry norm. That is a problem that happens to a lot of people, where they get comfortable with one thing and don't want to deal with something else until they have to. At that point, they are unemployeed and don't have the skills to get a new job against those just coming out of school.

In most industries, C is pretty much a legacy thing, but learning the basics can be helpful as other languages are based on it.

• 3 weeks later...

well I know a few languages and still want to learn more the languages I know are

C++

Vb 6.0

vb.net

asp.net

sql

java (currently working on a screensaver)

vb script

java script

html

xml

basic

VBA

so I guess you could say I love programming

languages i want to learn are

python

perl

c#

J++

crystal reports

and many more

• 2 weeks later...
well I know a few languages and still want to learn more the languages I know are

C++

Vb 6.0

vb.net

asp.net

sql

java (currently working on a screensaver)

vb script

java script

html

xml

basic

VBA

VB6.0, VB.NET, VBScript, VBA, and Basic are the same language. ASP.NET is not a language, because it is a technology. You can use it with every .NET languages. Java and JavaScript have the same syntax, so they aren't different languages. Html and Xml and aren't programming languages, because they are markup languages.

Java and JavaScript have the same syntax, so they aren't different languages. ...

WTF?

Javascript is a BASIC-based language and Java is a C-based laguage. To call them the same language as misguided as saying that Visual BASIC and Visual C are the same language!.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT