Obsidian has Icewind Dale License?

And another thing, NWN2 engine is specifically designed for the 3.5 ruleset. Correct me if I'm wrong, but IWD is D&D (thus an engine already made for that ruleset would come in handy), whilst Jefferson would have to be modified severely due to it being meant for a different ruleset altogether.

Err, actually I just lost interest in the subject :lol:

What'd interest me in IWD3 is not what engine they'd use, but rather the good ol' stuff like making a full party and being totally geeky about it. The only thing I miss in IWD is the lack of in-party character interaction. I used to make my own portraits for the "maincharacter". I remember playing the game with a buddy, and we had extra party member each ... *goes on to tell you the story*

The Jefferson engine is nowhere mentioned in this interview. JM said that Feargus bought a few *assets* from Interplay, which doesn't imply that he's talking about the Jefferson engine (wasn't that engine called the "Mystary engine"? Assets can mean game ideas or projects the guys were working on for Black Isle that never saw the light of day, but deserve to be developed further.

They are building large parts of the engine from the ground up. The graphic part isn't called even Aurora anymore and because they are switching to 3.5 the rules part can't be called Aurora exactly either.

It wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian prepared the engine for use in other games with built-in features that might not be used for NwN 2 but future titles. I wouldn't mind seeing IWD made turn-based for example but I guess that's just a crazy dream. :-

NWN graphics are awesome. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know graphics. It's that simple.

And, the Aurora isn't limited to a set number of npcs/henchmen in the aprty epsicially since HOTU. You can have HUNDREDS of henchmen if you so wish. Of course, no computer would be able to handle that.

LONG LIVE NWN & AURORA!

LONG LIVE NWN2 AND IT'S HORSIES, AND SUBRACES TOO!

LONG LIVE THE WITCHETAS AS WELL!

down with the already dead jefferson engine

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Good ol Volo! Here, boy, have a cucumber sandwich! *slaps Volo with a cricket bat*

...and the "assets" that Feargus bought were mostly old artwork from what I heard.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The way I see it, from the conversations with the Devs abotu the Jefferson engine(aka MYSTARY Engine), they designed it to be versatile. It doesn't have a hardwired ruleset, and I'm guessing, similar to NWN2, they could probably overhaul the graphics part of it. Voila, not obsolete anymore.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

But isnt the graphics part the HARDEST to change? I know very little of graphics programming, but Im assuming implementing support for realtime shadows and specularity isnt done in a heartbeat? In fact, youd have to completely rewrite the renderer?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well they're doing it with the Aurora engine. I'd think it would be faster to just re-write the graphics engine instead of starting from scratch. This is my uneducated assumption though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Jefferson engine isn't one of the assets he purchased -

A couple of months ago this is what Feargus said about why finishing Jefferson wouldn't happen:

Devastatorsig.jpg

He did say he bought artwork to/from Fallout.

"But isnt the graphics part the HARDEST to change?"

Well... The Aurora Graphics Engine has or is being changed with both the Wicther and NWN2. And, as we can see with the Witcher; the graphics are pretty impressive.

NWN graphics are awesome. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know graphics. It's that simple.

And, the Aurora isn't limited to a set number of npcs/henchmen in the aprty epsicially since HOTU. You can have HUNDREDS of henchmen if you so wish. Of course, no computer would be able to handle that.

LONG LIVE NWN & AURORA!

LONG LIVE NWN2 AND IT'S HORSIES, AND SUBRACES TOO!

LONG LIVE THE WITCHETAS AS WELL!

down with the already dead jefferson engine

NwN2 has horsies?! :blink:) (w00t) >_<

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, I'd say at least drow sub-race plus one more, since Ferret said (after everyone went "Boohoo, drow-angst will invade us!") that there will be more sub-races to choose from than drow.

And yes, I'd say you can do pretty dang nice things with Aurora. The Witcher is, as they say, abundantly sexy.

btw, are you guys sure the Jefferson engine was called "mystary engine"? I mean, it's spelled "Mystery". Unless you're just being funny, of course. :o

"Does the Drow equipment disintergrate in daylight?"

They haven't said anything about stuff like that... Considierng the fact the game starts on a surface town; how they gonna explain being a drow is gonna be.... <>

I suspect that you don't begin the game as Drizzt (i.e fled from Menzoberanzan (+several "z" where needed)) if you choose to play drow.

I mean... didn't they say that you grew up in that swamp village?

playable drow as a subrace at the minimum..

Doesnt that just mean you write in "drow" in the subrace thingie and then choose dark skin and white hair in the customizer? Like you could do in NWN?

"..and there was much rejoice."

Doesnt that just mean you write in "drow" in the subrace thingie and then choose dark skin and white hair in the customizer? Like you could do in NWN?

Not anymore, I think they've included that what-are-thems-called tables and whatnot. So the subraces have the bonuses they should have, etc.

Not anymore, I think they've included that what-are-thems-called tables and whatnot. So the subraces have the bonuses they should have, etc.

Yeah, all my elvish PCs have dark skin and light hair in NwN. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT