Freelancer

Logan

I just got Freelancer about a week ago and have been playing non-stop.

The space exploration, combat, and trade system are really cool, plus you can upgrade your ship with different sheilds, thrusters, missles, and laser combos. It is a bit like playing a D&D game except that you outfit your ship instead of your character. The universe is huge and I find the game fairly to very challenging. With more than 40hrs play time I've only seen about 1/2 the systems. That's because the combat is fairly time consuming and random attacks occur too frequently.

Anyhow, I was thinking that if you mixed together the best elements of Freelancer with the best elements of KOTOR you would have one of the greatest space games of all time. Freelancer has almost limitless free exploration.

BTW, freelancer has excellent cut-scenes during the SP campaign, you can also play MP online without a storyline and several excellent mods add many more ships (star wars, star trek, as well as generic or freelancer themed) as well as more complex sheilding and thruster systems (instead of sheild and thruster you have capacitor, power source, regenerator, ect...)

Anybody here play or played freelancer? What did you think?

I really loved the universe .. and the story was fairly interesting (would probably have made a pretty decent film)! nothing great, but definitly not bad either!

but the execution of the game sucked .. the dialouge (not the cutscenes) were horrible!! and the mission were horrificly boring and homogeneous!

But as I said, the universe was absolutely great! and it deserved a much much better game!

plus one of the things that really bothered me was the power difference between the ships belonging to the different houses .. how come you couldn't get a Liberty fighter which could mount lvl 10 weapons and shields? Rheinland would be able to destroy everyhing in an all-out war, simply because they had vastly superior ships to everyone else! that made no sense to me .. I know it was because you progressed through the game that way.. but for the multiplayer part they could've at least added less powerful and more powerful ships to each nation .. so you had some different designs to choose from!

Fortune favors the bald.

Ya, my friend's friend worked on that game here in Austin. I enjoyed through the first playthrough, but couldn't really get into it a second time

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I enjoyed Freelance quite a bit. Still, the single player campaign is just waaaay to quick. After that, the multiplayer just seems like more of the same over and over again.

It was worth the money I paid for it, though. Great entertainment.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I really hated being forced to play boring story missions in single-player, so I just played a multiplayer game by myself or with some friends to avoid them and just go around the universe.

I wish that game would've let me be a humble trader, and not thrown hordes of super powerful (compared to the freighters in that game) pirates, ALL equipped with cruise disrupters so that I couldn't out run them. It would've been nice if the space stations in the game (especially the supposedly heavily protected military installations) weren't CONSTANTLY under attack as well.

Neat. I'm D/L'ing now. :)

Well if you like the old Wing Commander games here's III (French version/english might take a while) ISO:

CD1:

http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/inde...e=fiche&id=1319

CD2:

http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/inde...e=fiche&id=1318

CD3:

http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/inde...e=fiche&id=1317

cd4:

http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/inde...e=fiche&id=1316

Unfortunately for the English ISO there's only CD 1 :

Here

http://abandoniso.cjb.net/

Enjoy :wub:

I wish that game would've let me be a humble trader, and not thrown hordes of super powerful (compared to the freighters in that game) pirates, ALL equipped with cruise disrupters so that I couldn't out run them. It would've been nice if the space stations in the game (especially the supposedly heavily protected military installations) weren't CONSTANTLY under attack as well.

Agreed, the game makes you fight constantly, so trade and exploration are constantly interuppted by combat. It's fun to go find some hidden wrecks, but it's not fun to fight 4-5 battles against a slew of enemies just because you flew across the map.

I really loved the universe .. and the story was fairly interesting (would probably have made a pretty decent film)! nothing great, but definitly not bad either!

but the execution of the game sucked .. the dialouge (not the cutscenes) were horrible!! and the mission were horrificly boring and homogeneous!

But as I said, the universe was absolutely great! and it deserved a much much better game!

plus one of the things that really bothered me was the power difference between the ships belonging to the different houses .. how come you couldn't get a Liberty fighter which could mount lvl 10 weapons and shields? Rheinland would be able to destroy everyhing in an all-out war, simply because they had vastly superior ships to everyone else! that made no sense to me .. I know it was because you progressed through the game that way.. but for the multiplayer part they could've at least added less powerful and more powerful ships to each nation .. so you had some different designs to choose from!

Dialog is bad, so bad that I kinda like it.

As for ship selection, there are mods that take care of this, tho I have'nt played them yet.

I understand there are older games like WC and privateer in this genre (I have not played them)

Are there any newer games or games in production? I could'nt really find much.

Freelancer was a fun game, I enjoyed it on the playthrough then exploring some afterwards.

FL was an attempt (consciously, I recall) to re-create the sense of wonder and exploration that people felt when playing Privateer. They originally wanted to make FL a much bigger and more ambitious game (sort of like KotoR2, I guess) but for various reasons most of that fell through. If you dig around the universe as well as the reference files in FL you can see the bits and pieces of what might have been. :)

I understand there are older games like WC and privateer in this genre (I have not played them)

Are there any newer games or games in production? I could'nt really find much.

Well there's always X3:Reunion ...but it's gonna be more complex than FL :(

Also you might wanna check X2 if you haven't already :huh: ...here's the Demo :D

And here are some other ones:

Galactic Federation Demo

Babylon 5 I've found her Full freeware o:)