K1 vs K2 thread

Look, Kotort 2 was already short as it is. It was very short. The planets where ubnnderpopulated. Making it any shorter would have done even more damage. The game's engine, if it REALLY is new, has no apaprent differences from the original kotor's engine other than font size and the utterly useless 1st person mode. The 1st Kototrs engine was a heavily modfifed NWN (aurora engine). Developing a new engine had nothing to do with it. LA just rushed KOTOR2 for a pointless Christmas release, while instead they should've waited until the new SW movie was released (increased intrest in SW means more profits from KOTOR2, which means more profits for LA).

Look, Kotort 2 was already short as it is. It was very short. The planets where ubnnderpopulated. Making it any shorter would have done even more damage. The game's engine, if it REALLY is new, has no apaprent differences from the original kotor's engine other than font size and the utterly useless 1st person mode. The 1st Kototrs engine was a heavily modfifed NWN (aurora engine). Developing a new engine had nothing to do with it. LA just rushed KOTOR2 for a pointless Christmas release, while instead they should've waited until the new SW movie was released (increased intrest in SW means more profits from KOTOR2, which means more profits for LA).

Ep3 wasn't going to be released originally this may, try the next next sumer.

just tell her 

KotOR2 was a more mature story!

Hod do you know Volo's female :blink: ?

I dont honestly.

Her posts just have some general female tendancies to them (as Volo and I post back and forth at each other a fair amount Ive noticed it over time) and well, she has never complained about being refered to as her (which more then myself have assumed in the past).

So just going on educated assumption is all.

So its her because either its correct or Volo doesnt mind the assumption and has let it continue of her/his own accord.

Besides, him or her, its not a negative comment in any way.

My question to you, why does it matter?

'However, I have never played a game that tried anything that ambitious. I applaud them for putting something like that on the table.'

Um. Many games have influence. It just wans't as hyped. BG series, PST, FO series, JE, and others have this feature. It wasn't as ambitious as people think.

I have not yet played FO or PST although I now own the games and hope to be playing them sometime this year. I am currently going through BG1, though. And, if there is NPC (party member) influence there, I must have missed it. It is certainly not an essential part of the game.

I have logged many hours with Morrowind. Morrowind has influence...you can flatter, bribe, etc and you actually get to see the influence rating you have with that NPC right on the screen!

No, we are talking about apples and oranges here. To have influence so intricately and yet subtely woven into the actual dialogue tree was an ambitious undertaking. This was something that, had they gotten it right, would have turned the cRPG upside down. They didn't quite get it but they came close. I sure hope that whoever does K3 perfects it.

Plano's right here Volo.

I know we go back and forth on alot of issues but JE influence isnt anywhere close to KotOR series (1 or 2) influence.

Influence in JE is romance and evil game (trying to lessen the amount of party PCs that turn on you for binding Deaths Hand.

However, you dont need to influence them in any way to get their back stories.

While other games might have some influence, its not as required a conponent as found in KotOR 1 or 2. I wish it was but it wasnt. For all characters not involved in romance line, all you needed to do was talk to them alot. Your action or how much you adventured with them didnt play apart in those talks.

'However, I have never played a game that tried anything that ambitious. I applaud them for putting something like that on the table.'

Um. Many games have influence. It just wans't as hyped. BG series, PST, FO series, JE, and others have this feature. It wasn't as ambitious as people think.

I have not yet played FO or PST although I now own the games and hope to be playing them sometime this year. I am currently going through BG1, though. And, if there is NPC (party member) influence there, I must have missed it. It is certainly not an essential part of the game.

I have logged many hours with Morrowind. Morrowind has influence...you can flatter, bribe, etc and you actually get to see the influence rating you have with that NPC right on the screen!

No, we are talking about apples and oranges here. To have influence so intricately and yet subtely woven into the actual dialogue tree was an ambitious undertaking. This was something that, had they gotten it right, would have turned the cRPG upside down. They didn't quite get it but they came close. I sure hope that whoever does K3 perfects it.

Plano's right here Volo.

I know we go back and forth on alot of issues but JE influence isnt anywhere close to KotOR series (1 or 2) influence.

Influence in JE is romance and evil game (trying to lessen the amount of party PCs that turn on you for binding Deaths Hand.

However, you dont need to influence them in any way to get their back stories.

While other games might have some influence, its not as required a conponent as found in KotOR 1 or 2. I wish it was but it wasnt. For all characters not involved in romance line, all you needed to do was talk to them alot. Your action or how much you adventured with them didnt play apart in those talks.

The influence system was buggy..

A lot of converstations which exist in the game don't activate properly or don't activate at all because of the influence system

The graphics for Knights of the old republic is going to have to be upgraded to compete with other games today..

Sorry guys but story isn't the most important aspect for games, atleast for the common masses.

Heh, a friend of mine tried KotOR after having played Doom3 and found the graphics so horrible he stopped playing. I myself have moved on from KotOR 2 to Guild Wars and have to say, the graphics of Guild Wars are worlds apart compared with KotOR. I'm almost tempted to say that the KotOR engine was designed by a bunch of amateurs. Guild Wars' graphics are stunning and run at consistently high frame rates with everything maxed out on my system. I have not encountered any bugs at all, no Dantooine glitches, no black screens, no characters getting stuck on a spot etc. This is all due to superior development skills and excellent testing, including beta testing. It has literally tons of skills to play with. I wish all rpgs could have Guild Wars' graphics. They put companies like Bioware to shame for designing crappy bug-ridden engines.

I do agree though, story is an important aspect of games, but so too is replayability, which most single player games lack. Morrowind was a notable exception since there was so much to do in that game. Kotor1/2 are rather superficial in comparison.

Guild Wars was designed from the outset to be a multiplayer game but unlike other multiplayer games like World of Warcraft, there is no exhorbitant monthly fee.

"Influence in JE is romance and evil game (trying to lessen the amount of party PCs that turn on you for binding Deaths Hand."

How quickly people forget about innocent little Wild Flower and her two problems. :wub:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...

My Debut Post on these forums... :D

This for me has always been an arguement in my own mind. Which myself do I think is better?

Well as all fo you have said the twist in KOTOR1 was a great thing and truly gave to the game in its own right.

But what I liked about KOTOR2 was that it told you more about the Mandalorian Wars, the reason why Revan and Malak turned....well mostly the reason as they discovered on the outer rim because of the war...but anyways. I thought that was pretty cool, also the ironic alliance with Mandalore was cool.

To go off topic for a second I would like maybe a game to go into the Exar Kun stuff maybe, I wanna fight me some Massassi!

K1 Pros

-Awesome twist

-first SW RPG(That I know of, Galaxies doesn't count)

-Good characters

-Fun

K1 Cons

-Crappy Ending

-Worlds too small

-Carth

K2 Pros

-No good twist, but overall better story

-Far superior characters

-Fun

-Better upgrade system

-Better animations

K2 Cons

-BUGS

-No ending

-Way too easy: unbalanced and too much level gaining

All in all I say they're about equal. KotOR1's crappy ending beats out KotOR2's complete lack of one. KotOR2's story was better, while KotOR1's had a better twist (though MCA told us there was no big twist months before release). KotOR2 had far superior characters, but KotOR1 was balanced better.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg