KOTOR III

Revan should be set as an LS character. Gender does not matter. I am of the opinion that alignment is a much less sensitive issue with gamers, unless moral principles in today's society are more skewed than I thought.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I am of the same opinion, but I still don't think that Revan's gender and alignment should be predetermined, simply because the game wouldn't have near as much replayability.

Revan should be set as an LS character. Gender does not matter. I am of the opinion that alignment is a much less sensitive issue with gamers, unless moral principles in today's society are more skewed than I thought.

Did you mean to say that bold passage? or was it a typo?

I could deal with the fact that the PC's alignment is predetermined as LS, but only because I am LS all the way when I play the games and I honestly have no real desire to play DS :D

However, I feel that BOTH alignment and gender are equally important, and as far as im concerned it has nothing to do with the moral principles of our society. Gender is important because I think one of the best parts about these games is that does an excellent job of catering properly for both male and female gamers, instead of forcing you to play as male character. Force alignment is important primarily for continuity... for -most- of us it has very little to do with society or our moral values, but instead that we become immersed in the game (to an extent), and its a truly great thing to be able to carry on from what you had done in the previous games. Some people prefer DS and will want to continue along that path... but that doesn't mean they are all maniacal, power hungry tyrants in real life :-

Maybe the good things about having choice in alignment can still be introduced even if the PC characters initial alignment is predetermined... but I still think it would be better to attempt to leave both gender and alignment open to selection by the player.

- Dan

I doubt BioWare is going to do it.

Although, they could be pursuaded to license out their new RPG engine I suppose.

That might work. Use the Jade Empire engine ... :D

No, let's just liscense the new Dragon Age engine instead. Here are a few links to feast your eyes on. Now, I know it is a PC platform game, but the same engine could be utilized with the newt generation XBOX for KotOR III.

BioWare: Dragon Age

GameSpy PC: Dragon Age

IGN PC Games: E3 2004: Dragon Age

I would much rather prefer those stats better than those of Jade Empire. Though I would have liked to have had Jade Empire be The Sith Lords. But still had Obsidian develop it. I think they did a very good job with what they were given, and with being put in the situation they were. Damn, you, LucasFarts! :lol:

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

ok so what about the guys that play DS (i am one of them)?? You're telling them that no matter what they do, their choices have no effect in the storyline because the good guys must always win!

Did you mean to say that bold passage? or was it a typo?

I could deal with the fact that the PC's alignment is predetermined as LS, but only because I am LS all the way when I play the games and I honestly have no real desire to play DS :D

However, I feel that BOTH alignment and gender are equally important, and as far as im concerned it has nothing to do with the moral principles of our society. Gender is important because I think one of the best parts about these games is that does an excellent job of catering properly for both male and female gamers, instead of forcing you to play as male character. Force alignment is important primarily for continuity... for -most- of us it has very little to do with society or our moral values, but instead that we become immersed in the game (to an extent), and its a truly great thing to be able to carry on from what you had done in the previous games. Some people prefer DS and will want to continue along that path... but that doesn't mean they are all maniacal, power hungry tyrants in real life :(

Maybe the good things about having choice in alignment can still be introduced even if the PC characters initial alignment is predetermined... but I still think it would be better to attempt to leave both gender and alignment open to selection by the player.

- Dan

I actually meant that Revan's gender should be determined by the player.

ok so what about the guys that play DS (i am one of them)?? You're telling them that no matter what they do, their choices have no effect in the storyline because the good guys must always win!

Well, the basis for setting Revan as LS would be to simplify matters for the developers. If the developers had the ability and time to actually pull off a game where Revan's alignment and sex could be completely determined by the player, (especially when Revan coming back is a definite requirement) and still make it a stunning game, then I will not complain.

Why LS? Firstly, there is the issue of redemption which prevails in the SW Universe. Additionally, the LS story makes more sense. Considering from a DS pov Revan let the Sith turn on each other and let the Star Forge, his most powerful weapon, degenerate. That is not the hallmark of strategic thinking. Revan wanted to prepare fo an invasion by the true sith. It makes more sense for Revan to first secure the Sith empire before gallivanting off to the UR. And explaining this in K3 would require some contriving of the storyline.

The LS storyline also has the added benefit of the romance options.

Well, the basis for setting Revan as LS would be to simplify matters for the developers. If the developers had the ability and time to actually pull off a game where Revan's alignment and sex could be completely determined by the player, (especially when Revan coming back is a definite requirement) and still make it a stunning game, then I will not complain.

fair enough. Each sequel will make things tougher for the devs.

As for the DS storyline, i think that Revan was attracted to a greater challenge than the conquest of a crumbling Republic. I mean.. in the DS ending Revan totally crushed the republic forces. With his infinite armada there was nothing in the galaxy left to oppose him. Thus, there was really no challenge in taking over the Republic. Obviously this war that lured Revan away offered something more.

I think that KOTOR III should focus on that war and the player should assume the role of Revan once more.

... No, let's just liscense the new Dragon Age engine instead. Here are a few links to feast your eyes on. Now, I know it is a PC platform game, but the same engine could be utilized with the newt generation XBOX for KotOR III.

Well said. I don't know why, but I have been confusing the two new games: Jade Empire and Dragon Age.

Dragon Age ... hmm, not much chance of not being about elves, dwarves and orcs, then.

Second point: Yes, having mutliple previous story endings makes for a more complex plot. SO WHAT? Why are they paying a (team of) writer(s) to do, practice their grammar?

Honestly, there are only a few permutations that they have to worry about: LS/DS and male/female and the effect on companions and possibly love interests. And quite often a lot of these can be interchanged. It's not rocket science. It's their job.

:-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

... No, let's just liscense the new Dragon Age engine instead. Here are a few links to feast your eyes on. Now, I know it is a PC platform game, but the same engine could be utilized with the newt generation XBOX for KotOR III.

Well said. I don't know why, but I have been confusing the two new games: Jade Empire and Dragon Age.

Dragon Age ... hmm, not much chance of not being about elves, dwarves and orcs, then.

Yeah, Jade Empire is essentially the last hurrah for the original Xbox. Dragon Age is a next-gen title so I guess that engine would be the one to use for a future SW RPG.

Yeah, looks like BioWare is developing another Tolkienesque IP (as if the market needed one). Should be interesting....or, *hopefully* it will be interesting.