TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

Guest MacleodCorp
Actually, I made a mistake in my post, which is corrected. August 1, 2005 is when they were at 49%. Therefore, your estimation is slightly off. :devil:

Actually, you're both off. From the WIP page itself:

This is an overview of our progress by module. If a module is not on this list it means we aren't aware of anything in the module that will be modified. Modules may be added or removed based on the information we have.

Please bear in mind that these are abbreviated descriptions of what's to do, and in many cases do not convey the full scope of what is involved. Not everything to do, or under consideration to do, is listed.

Some of the modules listed at 0% are just a single, simple change. A lot of the ones listed at 100% are just a single, simple change. Your mistake is in weighing them all equally, because they should not have equal weight, and because I know for a fact that they do not average out in the end.

Some of those modules in particular (the ones involving the KV stuff) are going to be an awful lot more work than the rest, owing largely to the recording and sound editing that needs to be done. They still haven't announced who's going to be doing the recording yet, so draw your own conclusions. :geek:

It'll be done when it's done, and not before.

He did say he was going back to school. Let's just hope that statistics is one of the subject areas being studied ... o:)"

Yeah! I messed up!! Actually, I am a high-end ad designer and college student. My acocunts are, but not limited to: Hasbro, Jordans Furniture, Comcast, etc... Since I never mentioned my name, I can give you that small list, so my clients will not be affected... lol...

Now back to the subject at hand...

Yeah the default is a bit "busy."  In your profile you can change it to something else; the most popular seems to be sub-silver.

I've changed the default to bluetabs. the reason the whatisreal theme flickers is because of all the alpha blending.... if you don't have a machine that's smart enough to use hardware acceleration for it, it'll use software which is wholly dependant on your system specs.

hadn't thought that through when I set it the default.

I've changed the default to bluetabs. the reason the whatisreal theme flickers is because of all the alpha blending.... if you don't have a machine that's smart enough to use hardware acceleration for it, it'll use software which is wholly dependant on your system specs.

Thanks, this one is a lot better. I figured it was probably my not-very-powerful graphics card (needs replacing :shifty: ).

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Yeah the default is a bit "busy."  In your profile you can change it to something else; the most popular seems to be sub-silver.

hadn't thought that through when I set it the default.

Has it been tested in Firefox? The reason I'm asking is that I can't log in, and when I use the "forgot password" option, nothing happens. I tried IE this morning and it said it was generating a new password, but nothing ever arrived in my e-mail. Not too sure what the problem is...

Has it been tested in Firefox?  The reason I'm asking is that I can't log in, and when I use the "forgot password" option, nothing happens.  I tried IE this morning and it said it was generating a new password, but nothing ever arrived in my e-mail.  Not too sure what the problem is...

I know that the password issue has been resolved, but I figured I should point out that I use Firefox exclusively, largely because Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has not released a version of Internet Exploder for Linux. :)

There's a somewhat backhanded explanation in the Known Issues thread, but basically, I have absolutely no sympathy for Microsoft's lack of standards in IE, and don't even bother to test if something doesn't work in IE any more. If it doesn't, then it's Microsoft's fault for not following W3C standards....

So yes... it did get tested in Firefox. In fact, most themes on the site only look "as intended" in Firefox, because of a glitch in the way that IE handles alpha blending in transparent PNGs.

Could the team do the music patch please.

It's obvious that LA isn't going to allow a music and movie patch, probably because the console players can't get the patch and LA can't take the heat where pc players getting something that console players can't get.

besides, LA has abaondoned the KotOR franchise

Could the team do the music patch please.

It's obvious that LA isn't going to allow a music and movie patch, probably because the console players can't get the patch and LA can't take the heat where pc players getting something that console players can't get.

besides, LA has abaondoned the KotOR franchise

Yeah, and my back garden needs weeding, while you're at it.

(You've heard of copyright, haven't you Belhawk?)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

metadigital, they were orginally going to do it, but obsidian/LA said they were going to do it themselves, so restoration team dropped it.

I dunno where that idea came from. I'm not working on the project, but as I understand it, they are very paranoid about stepping on copyright, and don't want to be shut down. I sincerely doubt that they'd do anything to jeopardize the project like that. It's one thing if the music is already there with the game's distribution. It's another thing entirely if they need to rerecord and recut music from other sources.

I dunno where that idea came from. I'm not working on the project, but as I understand it, they are very paranoid about stepping on copyright, and don't want to be shut down. I sincerely doubt that they'd do anything to jeopardize the project like that. It's one thing if the music is already there with the game's distribution. It's another thing entirely if they need to rerecord and recut music from other sources.

No, they were originally intending to improve the quality of the music. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but there's apparently a process you can perform on the low-quality files that improve them. Better-quality music was listed as one of the project's main aims, and Markssun (I think was his name - hey, he doesn't seem to be part of the team anymore :):huh: ) was going to do it. When Obsidian told us about the movie/music patch it was put on hold.

The original plan was to simply replace the PC music files with those from the XBox. The XBox version actually has higher quality audio and for some reason they reduced the quality when they did the PC version. If by the time the project is finished there's still no music/video patch we'll consider the audio stuff.

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Xbox has higher quality audio? Wow. Wonder why they decided to degrade it to 48kbits.

It makes no sense at all. I assumed the poor quality was to fit everything on the XBox disc. They can't have been short of space on the PC, because look at all the cut dialogue files that were left on. :)

Xbox has higher quality audio? Wow. Wonder why they decided to degrade it to 48kbits.

It makes no sense at all. I assumed the poor quality was to fit everything on the XBox disc. They can't have been short of space on the PC, because look at all the cut dialogue files that were left on. :)

So I've noticed, and the Xbox discs are DVD Discs if you recall, so they can stuff better quality music on it, *cough* 192kbit Stereo Music *cough*

The original plan was to simply replace the PC music files with those from the XBox.  The XBox version actually has higher quality audio and for some reason they reduced the quality when they did the PC version.  If by the time the project is finished there's still no music/video patch we'll consider the audio stuff.

Thank you! :thumbsup: