IWD 1, IWD 2, or BG 2?

"immense irritation named Imoen, who I had to take with me"

Huh? No, you don't. Not one npc has to go with you in the BG series. Not one. It's not FF or KOTOR. :ermm:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Huh? No, you don't. Not one npc has to go with you in the BG series. Not one. It's not FF or KOTOR. :rolleyes:

Well, I needed a thief and a second mage and Jan just was very restricted. Thief/Illusionist? Very bad. On the other hand, I was roleplaying and didn't feel very comfortable to leave my sister behind for a vampire with god-like powers, in a dungeon under a madhouse.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Huh? No, you don't. Not one npc has to go with you in the BG series. Not one. It's not FF or KOTOR. :rolleyes:

Hmm, well you can

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Ellester, you still don't have to take her though. All she does is whine about you abandoning her. LOL Shut the gal up, I says. :)"

"On the other hand, I was roleplaying and didn't feel very comfortable to leave my sister behind for a vampire with god-like powers, in a dungeon under a madhouse."

So, you admit you chose to do the 'right' thing? That isn't being forced. As Monte so vidily illustrates there were other options to be had.

So, you admit you chose to do the 'right' thing? That isn't being forced. As Monte so vidily illustrates there were other options to be had.

It's more than just saving your sister. Confronting Irencus is a part of your destiny to find out more about the secrets of your heritage (just as Luke had to face Darth Vader in the end when he had many other alternatives). Even if you were not motivated by a sense of kinship, you could still be tempted by the dreams of promised power. This "man" holds a crucial piece of the puzzle - what reason is there NOT to go after him (even if it means saving your whinning sister)? If not for Imoen, then for yourself. Besides, as a Bhaalspawn, what else can you do except embark on epic quests?

If you haven't played BG1 yet, I'd start with that. The magic is the most complicated part of computer AD&D, and due to the low level cap in BG1 you won't be confronted with tough mage fights like in BGII, which basically expect that you know which spells you must use in order to have a remote chance. The story in BG1 is also very linear and told in small digestable parts, yet interesting enough to keep you interested in playing.

IWD is the logical next step as it introduces higher levels but the fights are not terribly difficult, story is again linear but intriguing.

BG II and IWD II are best left for players who already know how AD&D works, plus IWD II does not use the AD&D ruleset, but DnD 3d edition.

PS:T is a game for itsself. As others have already mentioned, you either hate it or love it. Combat is so ridiciouly easy that you can almost win each fight with minimal knowledge about the rules. It's strength lies in deep NPCs and the most fascinating setting ever in a D&D game, so you don't really need the experience from the other games.

Finally I'd recommend that you play all of them at least once. Great legaciy from the Infinity Engine era.

Ellester, you still don't have to take her though. All she does is whine about you abandoning her. LOL Shut the gal up, I says. :)"

I still thought that all dialog choices ended up with the same conclusion, you had to accept Imoen into your party at the start of the game. Now I would assume you could kick her out 2 seconds later, though.

But I haven

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I really liked BG2 because it reached a balance of good combat, and good roleplaying. I have played all the IE games, and they each have their good points. As others have said here, it is really what kind of experience you want.

Does anybody know if the mod (Icewind Gate, I believe) ever got to a playable state? I would love to play through BG2 again for memories sake, but do it with the much improved IWD2 3rd edition rules.

I really liked BG2 because it reached a balance of good combat, and good roleplaying.  I have played all the IE games, and they each have their good points.  As others have said here, it is really what kind of experience you want.

Does anybody know if the mod (Icewind Gate, I believe) ever got to a playable state?  I would love to play through BG2 again for memories sake, but do it with the much improved IWD2 3rd edition rules.

Yea, the 3rd ED rules would have been nice. I doubt I

- Steven Erikson

"still thought that all dialog choices ended up with the same conclusion, you had to accept Imoen into your party at the start of the game. Now I would assume you could kick her out 2 seconds later, though."

That's exactly how it works. That's my point; though. You don't have to have he rin the aprty. Think of her as an annoying kid who attaches herself to you until given the big boot promptly.

I really liked BG2 because it reached a balance of good combat, and good roleplaying.  I have played all the IE games, and they each have their good points.  As others have said here, it is really what kind of experience you want.

Does anybody know if the mod (Icewind Gate, I believe) ever got to a playable state?  I would love to play through BG2 again for memories sake, but do it with the much improved IWD2 3rd edition rules.

All of the really BIG Mods for BGII can be found here:

Europe HTTP Site

http://mirror.blackwyrmlair.net/iegmc/

You'll need a download manager to download these

so it doesn't hang up on you.

This web page also takes forever to open sometimes.

Asian FTP Site

ftp://mirror.intermedia.com.sg/pub/iegmc/

Enjoy

Tsel :thumbsup: