problem with seemingly invincible enemies?

greetings all,

first i would like to say how dissapointed I am that Kotor II has been designed and developed with such instability compared to its predecessor... this is no attack towards Obsidian..I don't doubt their programming abilities.. I just think this game could've had much work to it if only for a small amount of prevention towards irritating bugs..

now on with my problem, I am on Dantooine and i've just entered the Enclave, Sublevels. Now in my first few minutes there I encountered the insect like creatures in there (forget their names). My party naturally starts attacking them. But it would appear nothing happens...they just don't die.. not a milimeter goes off their health bar (but ofcourse my characters start dying).

I was wondering if anyone else encountered this bug? It's quite annoying to have invicible enemies that stop me from completing this seemingly great game..

any assistance is appreciated :(

hmm.. no replies yet.. starting to fear i'm the only guy here who has had this bug :s

I reinstalled the game and I still have the same problem. I installed previous drivers (more stable 4.11 ati) for more smoother gameplay... I honestly don't know how I could prevent this bug :)

hmm...Laigreks regenerate I think 4 hit points per round. It could be that you aren't doing sufficient damage to counter that regeneration. Have you tried dropping the difficulty level? Alternatively, could you maybe go to the other planets and gain some levels which would possibly let you do more damage?

Of course, if it is an actual bug, rather than them just being too difficult, then I don't know.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

believe me it's an actual bug..cuz the kinrath outside and those bull like creatures (why am I so bad with names?) are invincible too...

and it's not a cheat cuz my characters die but they don't

i'm not saying an inch or 2 inches go off their meter..i'm saying nothing goes off their meter..i see the dmg points pop up above their heads but nothing goes down on their health bar...

Obsidian what have u done with this game o_0

This may be due to a couple of reasons:

1) How are you leveling up your attributes, skills and feats?

The key to the KOTOR games and Jedi is to always level up the main player character's offensive melee (lightsaber) attacks to Master Flurry because it lets you dish out two attacks per turn/round and is almost always guranteed to hit and if you give your Jedi NPCs like Kriea Speed and Force Valor and set her AI on Jedi Support, when she uses this power, you can effectively deal *four times the amount of damage PER ROUND as well has have a high defense.

*This of course depends on whether or not you have a high Dexterity or Strength since the modifiers for your attacks (and misses) depend on the higher of the two. As a result, when first creating a Jedi, Strength and Dex should always almost always be maxed out from the start, thus making them good with the melee weapons (even non lightsaber) and harder to hit.

2) Others have reported a bug that appears to manifiest itself in what you are experiencing: Your characters, no matter how well built, just cannot seem to hit anything and miss a good 90% of the time when they shouldn't if they were properly leveled up with the corresponding attributes, feats and skills.

It might be an actual bug since it is inconsistent and seemingly effects certain players, but not others.

3) As suggested, you might want to travel to another planet first and gain experience with non-combat related quests. I recommend Nar Shadda and the Refugee camp. There are side-quests that can net you 1000 XP if you complete them correctly (LS or DS).

thx for the suggestions..i will take them into concideration..

unfortunatly I played the first KOTOR game and I like to think I know enough to spend my skillpoints accordingly.. also, Dantooine is my second planet..seeing I have done Nar Shaddaa already.

I've spent much in dexterity so I would think these enemies would atleast take one hit of me. It's not that I constantly miss the enemy..it's that I hit them, but no dmg appears to register itself on my enemy. And nothing decreases on the health bar.

I tried staying a while and continue to attack them, to eliminate any possibility that it might be just a visual bug. Unfortunatly this was not the case. my characters (and both members of my party) died. So you see my char is not the only, my characters have the same thing.

It's just a total absence of registered dmg dealing by the game. I heard the sound that I hit them, the enemies even do the 'dodge-back' emotion which would state a clear hit..it's just that no dmg registers...

I tried reinstalling once again but I fear it's either my pc or just a bad copy of the game itself...or either there is a solution neither you or me has found yet... :p

I thank you anyway for your advices all

edit: one thing I concidered that might be the cause of it..I enabled the +7 Asxdox trainer... but I used a trainer with kotor as well (more creds) and that caused no problems..but seeing the instability of kotor2, this might be the cause of it..I'm gonna reinstall the game and stop using the trainer, I'll let you people know if it's fixed after this :)

the thing is I only have it sometimes...it's not always that this bug happens when it makes enemies invincible, only on certain occations (usually in 'dungeons' like caves and in this case, sub level of the enclave)..

the thing is I only have it sometimes...it's not always that this bug happens when it makes enemies invincible, only on certain occations (usually in 'dungeons' like caves and in this case, sub level of the enclave)..

I actually think it may be a bug... BUT it may be a bug that is only evident given certain combinations of Attributes, Skills, Feats, Items, Armors, Weapons and Force Points.

This is going to make it extremely hard to nail down and reproduce, but not impossible.

I am lead to this conclusion because I have friends who play the game differently than I (they just pick the cool powers and the ones that do more damage and don't really know the D20 rules) and they seem to get the same "error" as well...

But then I started thinking that it may not just be my friends lack of ingornace about the games behind-the-scenes calculations and may in fact be a bug IN those calculations that depend on certain factors like I said above and that would mean it is a bug in the code and not just how they are playing.

This is why I asked how are you leveling up your characters because if you know how this engine works and what the D&D rules are, you should, do fairly well as a lot of people think the game is actually too easy even on the hardest setting.

I lvl up in the meaning of strength... I pick usually pick the powers that would get me out of a situation easily.

high dmg'ing powers like scream, storm, choke..those kind

then I put most of my points into dexterity and some in strength..

I guess pretty much the same as your friends..

do you really suspect the game could go 'fubar' if you spend too much points towards an aggressive approach?

Yup, it is a bug. I experienced this in the crystal cave where Vrook was being held - just that one spot. One of the Kinrath became invisible and when my companions attacked it, they could do no damage but it did damage to them, not enough to kill anyone though. Eventually I just left it alone.

that's a real bummer..it prevents you from finishing the game!

It seems the entire planet Dantooine is one big lag/bug-planet...

shame on you Obsidian :thumbsup:

edit: restarted the game, noticed another glitch...when you first enter the Jedi Training Ground with Atris, and you get to see the conversation with Atton and Kreia..Atton is invisible...he doesnt appear in the cage..Kreia is just talking to an empty cage :s

this is the second time I see this... man i'm seriously starting to dislike this game..i just really want to know how it ends tho ;) I hope my more annoying bugs are stopped now because of the non-use of trainers/cheats anymore..

are you sure you are hitting them?

you see the red numbers above their head when you do damage?

i played the game many times and never had this kind of problem

maybe is just that the "to hit" of your char and your comrades is too low to hit them consistently.

also it could be that they are invul to some kind of damage

is not this case but for example if you fight with sabres and blasters against a critter that have 100% resist to energy you will do no damage but not due to a bug.

the thing with Atton is a graphical glitch, it doesn't happen everytime but this this one seem to be quite common.

In reply to the atton thing, i had it my first playtrough and i was because he wa slying in an other room :thumbsup: i think maybe his path of getting there was blocked or somthing.

" So... let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

- Rimmer, Quarantine

I just posted in another thread about a problem similar to this. (I was on Telos at the time)

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=31261

Basically I've discovered that my stats have been reset and it made the enemies practically invincible, which is not good. I would advise that you go to the character sheet and check your attributes when this happens and see if they are all 8 or something like that.