Low Res Movies - - WTF

Second FMV in the game... whe one where you're spacewalking... and I notice the same thing again: the movie plays in horrible, awful, shockingly, shockingly bad res... why is this? It happened in kotor1 as well.. am I missing an option somewhere? It actually hurts my eyes! It made Darth Sion (leastways that's who I assume he is) look like something out of a cereal box.

Anybody else experiencing this issue? Is it me missing something, or is it a bug? Is there a fix? Help! The lo-res will kill me!

NOTE: Tried the 'DVBO=1' tag in the .ini, didn't help hugely but it fixed tecture loss in the mining tunnels on Peragus, and allows me 2x AA (for all the difference that makes, I should still get 6x...). Just had a hard reboot from equip screen. Still not happy... still want patch... grr...

There really isn't anything we can do, unfortunately. Our best hope is to POLITELY request Lucasarts and Obsidian to upgrade the textures and movies for PC users with mid and high end systems.

The movies after Peragus ARE better, but the low res still bothers me.

There really isn't anything we can do, unfortunately. Our best hope is to POLITELY request Lucasarts and Obsidian to upgrade the textures and movies for PC users with mid and high end systems.

I don't think you understand.

These movies are just that: Finished movies.

You can't "retexture" them or whatever.

It's just like watching a DVD... Except these images were made with CG and not film. It's done. It's a complete video segment. There is nothing that can be done.

Sorry to burst the bubble :blink:

I don't think you understand.

These movies are just that: Finished movies.

You can't "retexture" them or whatever.

It's just like watching a DVD... Except these images were made with CG and not film. It's done. It's a complete video segment. There is nothing that can be done.

Sorry to burst the bubble :geek:

Actually, I DO understand. I make 3D content and animations myself, and it's entirely possible to use the original files to make new movies. To put it in film terms, they still have the 'negatives'.

I realize that if they redid the movies it would take effort and time that they may not be able to afford, with other more important projects to do and bugs to fix. I would rather have bugfixes or added content than upgraded movies.

However, Obsidian will have the original models and textures available, and if they were willing to improve the quality, they could render and encode new movie scenes. 1024x768 resolution scenes with sharper textures would be nice, but I'll settle for any improvement in something that would take a lot of work to redo.

I do not expect new movies, but I did expect the same level of treatment Bioware gave the PC version of the first game, and it's a reasonable gripe.

Well DVD resolution is 720x480 or so. 640x480 is not an unreasonable resolution at all for FMV....... The movies seem fine to me. Nothing subpar about them in relation to other FMV I've seen..

And don't compare them to what you see on a TV because you can see the flaws FAR easier on a PC monitor.

Believe me, they aren't the same. I went back to KOTOR I, and you can actually make out whats going on in the first game's movies.

It's not so much the Ebon hawk or other flying through space movies that bother me, they look ok, but all the ones I've seen so far with characters in them are bad. Darth Sion looks like a gray blob with a few black slashes at any distance. You can even see seams and horrible jagged edges all over. And all the movies very blurry.

Bioware's game movies were better than this, so I wonder why Obsidian did any different.

Overall, I wish they had taken the time to do more with graphics, and hopefully they'll make a KOTOR III with a new cutting edge graphics engine.

My understanding of this is limited... but surely it is the natural reolution of your monitor that would affect the quality of a fixed-res FMV? If I had a 640x480 60Hz monitor (lol) it would be harder to see the flaws, no? After all, you don't get that level of blurring on a TV...

My understanding of this is limited... but surely it is the natural reolution of your monitor that would affect the quality of a fixed-res FMV? If I had a 640x480 60Hz monitor (lol) it would be harder to see the flaws, no? After all, you don't get that level of blurring on a TV...

Pretty much - when a movie or photo etc is made a resolution is specified. So on a 640x480 monitor it would look fine because the resolution is the same. At a higher resolution it has to be scaled up to fit (so you are trying to stretch something 640x480 pixels to fit something that maybe double that, which gives you much lower image quality. Frustrating cos (I think) 800x600 is the minimum gameplay resolution, and even then I don't think many people will play at it. The only reason I can imagine for the choice is that they really needed to cut down on file size (not that I'd have minded if it ran onto a 5th cd).