Temp fix for most/all crashes

boba, i have the same problem as you, and my system is only a little better,

P4 2.8 ghz

512 ram

96mb intel grphics controler

i was half-convinced it was a hardware problem, but wanted to test out wether it was bug. so i went upstairs to my families computer (it runs kotor2 fine) and copied my brother saved game files (he was 15 hours into the game) i placed the files in my savedgame folder and loaded them, the game ran fine. So i figured i would just skip over the bug by starting a game on the other computer then transfering it onto this one, i tried it just a few minutes into the game, and 2 hours into the game, neither of them worked, so i dont know, it must be a bug that somehow only aplies when you're on the paragus or on the ebon hawk at the very start...

Boba Fett and others with ATI prob, look at ATI thred.

It looks like cat 4.11 is working. so uppgrade or downgrade its upp to u.

Oh yes there is olso an option about disable vertix that u can add if u don't whant to dowlode cat.

Good luck then ;)

Wow, thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm currently on Cat 5.2 but have also tried 4.11 and Omega drivers (4.11 and 5.1). I've even tried installing the 4.11 OpenGL driver on top of the Cat 5.2s. Tried vertex off, also. Only thing I haven't tried is the load savegame trick. I can't progress far enough to actually save a game so that doesn't help at the moment.

I got windowed mode working now.

What i did was i added "AllowWindowedMode=1" to both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] .

And then i made a new shortcut to swkotor2.exe (the game executable, not the launcher) with the flag "-w" after it.

Hope this helps some of the ppl who are trying to get windowed mode out a bit.

• 2 months later...

omg! Window mode seriously fixed all of my crashing problems. Before I would get a blackscreen after every cutscene, because of res switching I think. But now, I can continue the game uninterrupted. For those of you having trouble with crashing, try window mode out - it may be the solution you're looking for.

AllowWindowedMode=1 under Graphics. Not everyone seems to need this. In fact some users are stuck in windowed mode and can't get out! Thanks for posting on other thread about the Mysterious Emmitters. Seems there might be differences between localised versions of the game. Probably harmless leftover stuff but doesn't help in trying to track down a cause for the BSOD. Too many variables as it is.

Being stuck in windowed mode is a bug due to the AA/Anisotrophy settings. Once you turn them off, the game magically goes back into full-screen mode.

And I really wish I did have an ATI card to help you guys out. To me, it seems like there's some sort of overflow error of some sort. Can someone post the BSOD error text?

edit: As an addenum, I remember the time when Warcraft III (or was it another game?) was driving me nuts with startup crashes that I believed to be video card problems because it always crashed during the opening movie. However, it turns out that it was the sound card drivers that needed to be updated. Perhaps updating the sound card drivers will do the trick?

well i got a similar problem as that one, im pretty new to the forums, looked on these forums all night, yes, all night for about 9 hours to get something to work with my problem, the problem has been said before, when u are at telos, talk to attris, do everything you need, and board the ebon hawk, u see atris and 2 disciples talking and then the game loads to the ebon hawk after a short movie, now my problem is like many other ppl i presume that the screen just goes black, have sound, can do everything, but just no visual stuff, i can go to inventory and so on but cant play when in game itself, commands like flourish and solo mode work, just black screen wich is impossible to go around with anything i've tried that i saw here..

would be nice if anyone knows another solution to this problem, pretty addicted to the game :D

sys specs:

p4 2.67gig

x800xt 256ddr

512ddr ram

somehow i got this fixed with something stupid, i had the autosave when u crash at handmaiden base and started playing normally and say everything to get light side points, after doing all of that i had no problems anymore with the black screen :S weird ass game tbh