ati cards

9mak9

ok, people who have any ati graphics card that are having problems with the game should state what their problem is what type of card they have and what have u tried to fix it. i have seen many posts on what u can do, like disabling movies, downloaded all these different drivers. just say what u've tried and whether its worked so maybe we can find a solution or at least helped someone make a good patch.

i have the the radeon 7500 on a laptop and the game crashes after character creation.

i have tried the omega 4.9s and the cats 5.2s, ive put in the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 in the graphic options on the .ini file, ive disabled movies. nothing has worked but at different points of me trying this sometimes the game screen will be black and i can hear the music and then it shuts off, then other times i can see inside of the ship likes it going to work but it just does the same thing and shuts off. so there must be something that has worker, so combos has to work or make it better.

im hoping this will help people get all of their problems in the open and try and find a solution that we have all not thought of yet.

thanks for your help

Hi,

I've managed to install the game - got past the installshield problem by turning off norton auto-protect.

Unfortunately, when i execute the program the launcher loads (and works) but nothing happens when i click "Game".

It seens like it wants to start as the cursor changes to the busy icon but then nothing - resulting in having to manually shutdown the sevice in System Processes.

I'm running an ATI 9600 Pro and have tried:

Catalyst 4.2 / 4.11 / 4.12 / 5.1 / 5.2 drivers

Renaming wnaspi.dll in System 32 folder

Uninstall / Reinstall several times.

My system meets all the required spec - all green when checked.

It's really annoying especially as i just finished KOTOR1 the previous day to prepare myself :thumbsup:"

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

I started with my screen fading black after character creation and intro video sequence..

1. made a save in a different computer.

2. Disabled all movies(didn't work so i deleted them also) then it did for a while

3. then finally the ''diasable vertex buffer objects=1'' and i was able to complete 2 more plantets.. peragus, telos, onderon, nar' shaddar!

i also got a radeon 9800 not the fainstest clue what my drive is tho!

Hi,

I seem to have solved my problem i.e. it loads (w00t)

I haven't tried anything else as i thought i should post my success and reasons why it worked this time.

It was a SOUND problem.

I am running both a Plantronics USB Headset and a SB Live (old i know :) ) and for some reason it only works with SB Live.

Just thought this might help some people.

Many thanks for all your help,

rahaney

I'm running a Radeon 7500, and my game fades to black after the starting movie...........any suggestions?

Minimum video card specs state a 9200 is required.

That is why you probably went to black. I don't think the 7500 has T&L (Transform & Lighting) architecture that the KOTOR engine needs to run properly.

Also... People don't seem to realize, and this is not an insult, that you can't expect to play games on laptops. Half the posts here are from people who have laptops with "downgraded" vid cards (Mobile Radeons) and expect to play something as "complicated" -- graphic architecture wise -- As KOTOR on a laptop.

Again, this isn't trying to start a flame war, but I think this is something people need to accept.

Yes. You can play some games on laptops with no problems. You might even have played KOTOR I on your laptop... But face it. Laptops are mostly for productivity functions and not graphic intensive applications like games, hence why I said "downgraded" video cards and to expect the same performance on a laptop as a PC (Desktop) is just not realistic anyway you slice it.

I also realize that there are tons of problems for desktop users who have ATI cards as well.

The problem lies with either LA, Obsidian and or ATI in optimizing either the game and or the OGL drivers that ATI uses... That are historically inferior to Nvidia's... And until something happens on one of those fronts, the only thing you can do is bear through it and play the game with low performance (choppy; low FPS), or just wait and hope a patch is forthcoming that will address the major issues like CTD (Crash to Desktop), having to disable movies, etc. because it is obvious to me that the game was never tested thouroughly enough on a variety of systems as is the unfortunate norm these days with the PC gaming industry due to cut backs in budget, personnel and QA time.

So, basically, I am acknowledging LA and Obsidian have an obligation to rectify some of these major, showstopping bugs as well as minor in-game glitches... But at the same time, consumers are expected to know their hardware to the point of at least accepting that playing Sith Lords (or any game) on a laptop is just not recommended, so don't come all unglued when you don't get the performance you expect.

Peace.

there is no need to talk back to people like that its pointless. this forum is not here for argument but for helping people with specfic problems that some people here can help with. Laptops arent made for gaming yes that is true but some high level systems can run anything. games should be made to run on any system i love having good graphics on a game but to me its the least important part of a game and i would rather have the game run smoothly with bad graphics then have high end graphics like half-life but for it to have problems and need constant fixing

please post on here if u have solutions or problems with ati graphics card whether u have a laptop or not

Minimum video card specs state a 9200 is required.

That is why you probably went to black. I don't think the 7500 has T&L (Transform & Lighting) architecture that the KOTOR engine needs to run properly.

Also... People don't seem to realize, and this is not an insult, that you can't expect to play games on laptops. Half the posts here are from people who have laptops with "downgraded" vid cards (Mobile Radeons) and expect to play something as "complicated" -- graphic architecture wise -- As KOTOR on a laptop.

Again, this isn't trying to start a flame war, but I think this is something people need to accept.

Yes. You can play some games on laptops with no problems. You might even have played KOTOR I on your laptop... But face it. Laptops are mostly for productivity functions and not graphic intensive applications like games, hence why I said "downgraded" video cards and to expect the same performance on a laptop as a PC (Desktop) is just not realistic anyway you slice it.

I also realize that there are tons of problems for desktop users who have ATI cards as well.

The problem lies with either LA, Obsidian and or ATI in optimizing either the game and or the OGL drivers that ATI uses... That are historically inferior to Nvidia's... And until something happens on one of those fronts, the only thing you can do is bear through it and play the game with low performance (choppy; low FPS), or just wait and hope a patch is forthcoming that will address the major issues like CTD (Crash to Desktop), having to disable movies, etc. because it is obvious to me that the game was never tested thouroughly enough on a variety of systems as is the unfortunate norm these days with the PC gaming industry due to cut backs in budget, personnel and QA time.

So, basically, I am acknowledging LA and Obsidian have an obligation to rectify some of these major, showstopping bugs as well as minor in-game glitches... But at the same time, consumers are expected to know their hardware to the point of at least accepting that playing Sith Lords (or any game) on a laptop is just not recommended, so don't come all unglued when you don't get the performance you expect.

Peace.

I'd just like to say that you have no idea whatsoever of what you are talking about. Laptops can be used for gaming considering I have KotOR 2 running on my laptop. If you think that laptops arent available today with powerful graphics solutions, you are wrong. I have an nVidia 6800 GO w/ DDR3 and it runs KotOR beautifully. Ofcourse due to the 12 or 16 (don't remember which) pipeline architecture, it offers a huge increase in performance when compared with a Mobility Radeon 7500.

The Mobility Radeon does actually have T&L capabilities as it says on ATi's site. Besides, many people have used the card to play KotOR I so it obviously supports Hardware T&L since the game has the same engine.

Don't get the performance I expect? That's very interesting. My 6800 GO can be overclocked to some high clock speeds and I get even better performance out of it than my friend does with his X800 XL. I ran a 3DMark05 benchmark and I got 4800 marks which is not bad for a laptop.

My laptop specs:

(A gift)

P4 3.4GHz EE w/ 2MB L3 Cache

1.5GB Ram

nVidia 6800 GO w/ DDR3

60GB 7200 RPM HDD

*New addition*

I got a model replacement from Alienware and I upgraded to a WUXGA+ w/ a built in Digital Camera, and Integrated TV Tuner.

well to people who have laptops can u upgrade your graphics card?

i dont know if u can, im not sure if some u can and some u cant. cause i would upgrade it just to play this game.

im considering getting an alienware laptop cause i heard those are incredible for gaming

well to people who have laptops can u upgrade your graphics card?

i dont know if u can, im not sure if some u can and some u cant.  cause i would upgrade it just to play this game.

im considering getting an alienware laptop cause i heard those are incredible for gaming

To my knowledge, Alienware are the only laptops with upgradeable graphics cards, but I'm pretty sure that's gonna become standard over the next few years (coz its a darn good idea). If you're thinking of buying an Alienware (aren't we all?) then the best place to look first would be e-bay; you can get some rediculousely good prices on there :thumbsup:

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

i was thinking about that but if i get screwed over buying 2000$ comp i will be pissed. but its a good idea to check. i looked at one of the systems on the site and mapped it out and looked to be like 2500$ for mostly top of the line. ill have to think about it

Actually Dell offered upgradeable cards before Alienware did with their XPS and 9100 systems. They were also the first to offer the MR 9800 256mb.

My downgraded Mobile 9800 256mb can run Doom 3 and Half Life 2 on high/highest settings at 1024X768 + resolutions at a steady framerate. No not sub 40 frames either. I think Doom 3 I was averaging about 50-54 fps with fraps. That is pretty good for a system I purchased soley for autocad. I do admit I have to tone down AF/AA for certain games, but the games run great.

Just to throw my 2 cents worth in.

I have just arrived to Telos and everything is suddenly getting real jerky. Seems to happen every other second. A big FPS spike drop. And seems to be everywhere I go so far there.

I have:

ATI X800 XT PE < latest drvs >

AMD 64 3200

1024 Ram

Audigy 2

Windows and all others drivers all fully updated.

Curious to know if anyone else has this prob and a remedy. :-"