KOTOR 2 Problems Compromise for KOTOR 3

Now while the "Would you... " poll/topic continues to grow and draw others, we need to take the big problems that we know of in the game, and come up with ways of solving them that the "majority" can agree on.

Now there may be more problems that are considered big by many, but off the top of my head I will name a few.

1. How should the Dark Side part of the game be. Should it be a mix as it is now of a villian who bully's, is mean, sneaky, betrays and sometimes is rude? Or should the DS quests be you as a bad guy fighting the good guys where you are turthless and insite fear? Or do you have an idea or ideas of your own?

2. Should the Influencing system be changed? If so how?

3. Should the ending of the game be more dynamic like in KOTOR 1 or less dynamic like in KOTOR 2?

4. A few sidequests in the game, for example, the HK-47 voiceprint quest was cut from the game although we do see the cutscene and a bit of dialog that does not lead anywhere afterwards were either cut short or left out. Would these cut side-quests that might happen in the next game, would it bother you or not? Do you think that Obsidian should take more time to complete things or simply dump altogether side-quests like these before releasing the game? Or is it again not a big deal?

5. There were some menu features that were not seen in KOTOR 2 that were in KOTOR 1. What do you want to see return or have different if any?

6. What glitches do you think the makers should give good priority in fixing for the next game?

There might be more big problems that I have not mentioned. Please add or take away from the list as you want. We need to come up with compromises and a unified conclusion of how we want Obsidian to do things for KOTOR 3. Then present it to them.

The reason why we need to reach a compromise is because a unified voice of change is one that is better heard and can get at least some of what we want done than one that is ununified.

As for the presenting part I do not know how we would go about doing that, but our compromised ideas need to be given to Obsidian in some way. Again your majority compromised opinions matter more than mine. If things are fine or not you come up with a compromise. The point is to get what we want the best way we can.

sweaw2008-06-0711-55-23-01.jpg

Now while the "Would you... " poll/topic continues to grow and draw others, we need to take the big problems that we know of in the game, and come up with ways of solving them that the "majority" can agree on.

errr, you do know your thread was hijacked by Ephany and half the posts in it have nothing to do with topic at hand dont you? Just figured Id point that out in case you going strictly by number of replies and not quality of reply regarding topic.

Now there may be more problems that are considered big by many, but off the top of my head I will name a few.

1. How should the Dark Side part of the game be. Should it be a mix as it is now of a villian who bully's, is mean, sneaky, betrays and sometimes is rude? Or should the DS quests be you as a bad guy fighting the good guys where you are turthless and insite fear? Or do you have an idea or ideas of your own?

While I would love to see a thinking mans villain, I do question the logistics of actually making one. The converstation choices would be a intense undertaking to begin with (and you dont want one side to overshadow the other side in amount of choices so the balance remains).

Naaaa, I like that to influence people you have to try and play to their characteristics. It makes sence if you think about it, no one generic answer will influence everyone all the time. K2 really upped the intellegence needed to influence other party members. Also because it wasnt truely feasible to influence ever member 100% every game, the replay value of K2 was signifigantly more then K1 (I only played K1 from start to finish 4 times (2 female games, 2 male games, Im at 8 play throughs with K2 and soon will be starting 9th).

3. Should the ending of the game be more dynamic like in KOTOR 1 or less dynamic like in KOTOR 2?

Actually I think both! In retrospect I do actually like the questionaire ending of K2 but miss the cut screen movie from K1. Build a game where it involves both styles would really go over well I think.

4. A few sidequests in the game, for example, the HK-47 voiceprint quest was cut from the game although we do see the cutscene and a bit of dialog that does not lead anywhere afterwards were either cut short or left out. Would these cut side-quests that might happen in the next game, would it bother you or not? Do you think that Obsidian should take more time to complete things or simply dump altogether side-quests like these before releasing the game? Or is it again not a big deal?

Side quests are important! I personally prefer K2 as the side quests impacted the present storyline. I wasnt a huge fan of K1 side quests because you knew you were doing them strictly for xp (they didnt impact the storyline what so ever). Should Obsidian take more time tho? NO, This is the one area I think Obsidian came up drastically short! I dont blame LA for the push to release, I blame obsidian for not having enough manpower to complete the game in a reasonable amount of time! Even if LA forced them to release for XMas, they had more then enough time to completely finish the game if they have the poper manpower working on it!

So answer is, finish ALL quests in the alloted time! If you dont think you can then hire more staff and finish them! Finishing them is the only answer in this case.

5. There were some menu features that were not seen in KOTOR 2 that were in KOTOR 1. What do you want to see return or have different if any?

Didnt notice them so didnt miss them! I like the engine and Graphic Outlay used and hope they dont mess with it! I have played Halo and all them and those engines good for what they were designed for but not good for KotOR series.

6. What glitches do you think the makers should give good priority in fixing for the next game?

As I said before, since the only true glitchs were really petty petty things, this not a area they need to put much attention to. Id rather they spend time expanding the storylines even more then wasting time on minor minor issues. People going to bitch no matter what they do so dont get bogged down on the small unimportant things.

There might be more big problems that I have not mentioned. Please add or take away from the list as you want. We need to come up with compromises and a unified conclusion of how we want Obsidian to do things for KOTOR 3. Then present it to them.

Well first off Obsidian is a Company so they are going to do things how they want regardless. Thats just normal business practice! Also you assume that a majority of players find mare fault in K2. If your read the boards here daily (all areas) you will see that is just not the case. Most people might find a minor thing here and there but the far and away majority think K2 was a quality and fun product.

The reason why we need to reach a compromise is because a unified voice of change is one that is better heard and can get at least some of what we want done than one that is ununified.

Other thing you need to realize is even if you could get a huge majority to say game needs drastic changes, you might get Obsidian to change some single minor direction or issue but they will never accept you proposal as law for the entire outline of the game. Im n ot flaming you here, just stating clear facts. Players can occationally suggest direction of a game but will never be able to dictate direction and content of a game. Your only way to achieve that is to not purchase the game! No amount of polls, forum threads, websites will change that one realistic statement. Companies listen to Dollars and Cents. Thats what drives the industry. K2 was a huge success Dollar wise so sales and profits disprove the need for drastic changes. They will stick with what is proven to  work.

As for the presenting part I do not know how we would go about doing that, but our compromised ideas need to be given to Obsidian in some way. Again your majority compromised opinions matter more than mine. If things are fine or not you come up with a compromise. The point is to get what we want the best way we can.

errrr, if things are fine why compromise????? Sorry I just dont follow your logic here. If things are fine why would anyone want to change from the current operations? Please explain!

PS: Jeff I really think you need to define what you clasify as a Glitch. Is it a minor bug? A exploit? A game stopping bug? A graphic error? What exactly is a "GLITCH" to you.

To me glitch means very minor mistake far far down on the list of importance but how you use the word suggests you think of it as something else. Please define your meaning of glitch.

Thanks

1. Sneaky, manupilating.

2. It should be integrated in the level-up system. For example, for each time you level up, there's more dialogue options. But to explore them fully, you'll need influence.

3. Less dynamic, let the series end in a grand finale (LS: saviour of the galaxy, DS: you've killed 'em all, but you'll die yourself.)

4. Keep them like in KotOR 1, it's nice to break away from the main storyline from time to time.

5. Huh? I haven't noticed that yet :blink:

6. How do you deal with the DS/LS/male/female Revan, DS/LS/male/female Exile? How will these factors affect the story?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Thank you Kalfear for your comments. And actually that is what I was making that ooll topic about was for people to show Obsidian that they will not buy the game if things are not changed. This topic hopefully would get Obsidian's attention.

Then get people to compromise on ideas and to come up with things that those people can agree on to give to Obsidian somehow the list. And if they do not at least give us the majority of what we are asking then we don't buy. This is what I was thinking. Your right there are some minor things we cannot get a company to change. All we ask to be be at the table as well. Your right I did not clarify this. And thank you for informing me about the other thread.

I would like to ask you a question though. I have posted this same topic here and at the General Discussion part of the Obsidian KOTOR 2 forum. Where do you think this topic should best belong so that I might direct people to the right place?

Thank you Kalfear for your comments. And actually that is what I was making that ooll topic about was for people to show Obsidian that they will not buy the game if things are not changed. This topic hopefully would get Obsidian's attention.

Then get people to compromise on ideas and to come up with things that those people can agree on to give to Obsidian somehow the list. And if they do not at least give us the majority of what we are asking then we don't buy. This is what I was thinking. Your right there are some minor things we cannot get a company to change. All we ask to be be at the table as well. Your right I did not clarify this. And thank you for informing me about the other thread.

I would like to ask you a question though. I have posted this same topic here and at the General Discussion part of the Obsidian KOTOR 2 forum. Where do you think this topic should best belong so that I might direct people to the right place?

Honestly Jeff,

For maximum exposure and opinions I think you should hold off on topic untill after the PC and Euro releases to be honest.

I have some idea of what your trying for here (altho I dont agree with your over all opinion of game faults), so to get everyones veiws they need to play the game first.

If you disagree then Id say the spoiler forums would be best just because it allows folks to go more indepth at this moment in time with their reasons and explanations for their ideas :)

When will the Euro and PC releases be? How do I then wait for the PC and Euro people to comment since my topics are in full swing?

And you know when I think about all of this I also am hoping that if we get the changes here that it does not turn off a large amount of others from playing the next one.

I'd like to see the Influence system upgraded so that it actually changes how people act (though that would require writing a good deal of additional dialogue). I got annoyed after I dragged handmaiden down all the way down the alignment scale to "dark mastery", turned her into a Dark Jedi Guardian, and then even after that she would still complain about me being dark, evil, and cruel. I said I would help the evil side on Dantooine, and she said "are you actually going to help that monster?", and I thought to myself "Have you checked your alignment recently?"

So if possible it'd be nice if LS characters would start talking evil, and DS characters start talking good, when they changed. As it stands the influence system seemed like window dressing to me.

i didnt see rapid transit in k2...

On Telos you used the computer terminals to rapid transit between modules

On Nar Shadaar you had to fix the Air Bike to have rapid transit between the different zones

On Dunx you had rapid transit to your ship from the Mandalorian camp because of the guide assigned to you.

There was no rapid transit on Dant or Onderon

One word for Kotor 3 Sabershoes....is that two words, no its one if its a compound word.....right

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Questions 1 & 2. Be able to lie to your NPCs. It might get you DS points, but gain influence. Also, you should only lose influence for something that conflicts with their current alignment, not their original one.

Question 3. Even more dynamic. Gut wrenching, tear jerking, awe inspiring.

Question 4. Do not foreshadow and never follow through. There is a word for that - teasing. We don't like it when someone flirts and flashes and then nothing ever happens.

Question 5. "Return to Ebon Hawk" would have been nice. Also, sorting items and quests was better in some ways in the first game. Maybe trim down a bit on the creating and upgrading, at least don't make it more complex. I'd like to be able to find an ancient Jedi's armor or lightsaber and not feel like it's just another piece of junk that's not as powerful as something I could whip up on my workbench.

Question 6. Mostly just crashing. Complete dialogue consistency. Not having attack queue empty for unknown reasons. Not telling an NPC to use a force power and then watching them run through the mine field and attack instead.

Also some final thoughts I had about the next game:

What about doing KOTOR 3 as an expansion pack to the first two games? When installing the game you can pick a previous save file from each of the first two games to copy character information from. (you could also add an option to answer questions and customize by hand, but not "in-game") It sounds like the "True Sith" who live outside of the galaxy in unknown space are very powerful, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to start with a level 20 Revan. From playing KOTOR 2 it also sounds like Revan's motivation was the same as LS or DS, just the means were different. For LS or DS, he/she starts remembering that the reason for turning into Sith and getting the Starforge is that he/she wanted to unite the galaxy in order to fight the "True Sith" as one. If you played the first game as light side, you realized that the ends did not justify the means and went out after them alone. If you played dark side, you realize that it will take too long to unite the galaxy, that the war has weakened too many things, and decide to go out after them alone.

After playing for about 10 levels of play in the unknown regions, the game can switch to the exile, who is looking for Revan. You play as the exile for a bit and then the two meet up. Then the exile can become a party member for Revan, or you can split forces and have two missions going on at once, that switch at certain points (kind of like the Dxun/Onderon part two segment). I think that Mandalore and the Droids should show up (their loyalty to Revan demands it), and Bastila if DS, Carth if LS.

I have no idea about particulars of what you have to do, where you have to go, to stop the "True Sith", but most of it should take place in the unknown regions, making items and equipment scarce except for "True Sith" things that you can find and adapt. It also explains the massively hard enemies who live in the unknown regions and possibly the force could be harder to hear in such an uninhabited region. This last paragraph is improvised speculation, but the stuff listed above would truly make it a good game, in my opinion, at least, and solve a lot of problems.

It should also wrap up loose threads like the HK factory, the Droid controlling signals, the identity of Goto. Let's hear what you think. Sorry for the lack of Avatar or fancy graphics. I just created this account to post this.

Seriously, the mods have to do something about this sh1t! These boards are being inundated with thread after thread about some fanciful game which currently has no plans of being created.  That constitutes SPAM in my books.  <_<

I humbly offer my apologies. I figured since the topic of this post was "what should be fixed in the next game" that it might be of interest.

Seriously, the mods have to do something about this sh1t! These boards are being inundated with thread after thread about some fanciful game which currently has no plans of being created.  That constitutes SPAM in my books.  <_<

I humbly offer my apologies. I figured since the topic of this post was "what should be fixed in the next game" that it might be of interest.

No need to apologize my friend - it's a forum so post away. It's just that these boards have suddenly been besieged by 20+ threads concerning KotOR III in such details that it's actually ludicrous. I mean how can we discuss a game productively which currently isn't even being made? That would be like posting suggestions for BG 3 or PS:T 2.

manthing2.jpg

Beka Valentine don't let them get you down. And Hades_One I think the game will be made soon. But even if it sin't there is no harm in coming up ideas if ithe game were to be officially announced sometime in the future.

Yes, but when these hypothetical discussions surpass 50% of the active discussions on these boards, then you've got to draw the line - maybe restrict it to just one thread, or create a separate K3 fora even; one must remember that any K3 'suggestions' will inadvertently spoil it for the PC gamers who have yet to play K2.

manthing2.jpg

Well my suggestion is place it in a part of the forum that allows spoilers. Also have in the topic's title Spoilers, but I think that by people seeing suggestions for KOTOR 3 might tell them they might be discussing about things that were done and what should be done now.

You are right there is alot of topics, but I say so long as their posts stay relivant to the topic and they are in the right part of the forum I don't see too much of a big deal. Maybe I am wrong, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

i think they should make a double disc game. One disk telling what happened with Revan and the other for the Exile; and maybe upon completing both discs, combine the two characters to have some sort of final showdown between the two apprentice's of kreia.

Also more emphasis on lightsaber duels. Have maaanny more combinations of attacks and blocks to make each duel more and more original.

Instead of having to hit the enemy numerous times to kill him/her, have the lightsaber fight ware them down and then deliver the death blow to their body.

Also have a thing from Episode II between Doku and Yoda. Where Doku shot the lightning at Yoda and he caught it and sent it back. Have only the Consulars be able to do this, if they are strong enough, then maybe they wouldn't be so useless in combat :shifty: but mmmuussst musssstt must finish Revans story. Like other people have said.. KOTOR is Revan's story.