Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Civilization IV

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Darth Reven

Darth Reven

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
Is there a web site for it yet? Or is you know anything about please share it .

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
Hopefully never.

They need to make Alpha Centauri 2 before they make another crappy Civilization game. :thumbsup:

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts

Hopefully never.

They need to make Alpha Centauri 2 before they make another crappy Civilization game. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...? What was crappy with the Civilization series?
I Agree, Alpha Centauri was good, Civilization was brilliant too. In fact, the only thing in AC that was better than Civ IMO, was simultaneous turns in multiplayer.

~Di

~Di

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 992 posts
Thing is, I adored Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri, so I ripped Civ 3 off the shelves the day it was released... and I freaking hated it. The cheating AI made it nearly impossible to survive, and was so frustrating that I felt like throwing my computer out the window. I managed to win one game, then tossed the CD aside, whereas I've played Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri probably two dozen times.

If Civ 4 goes back the Civ 2 roots, then I'm ecstatic. If it's going to be more Civ 3 "let's screw with the player, muhahaha" crap, then I won't bother.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

Hopefully never.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...? What was crappy with the Civilization series?
I Agree, Alpha Centauri was good, Civilization was brilliant too. In fact, the only thing in AC that was better than Civ IMO, was simultaneous turns in multiplayer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see... they made Civ... and it was good... they made Civ 2 and it was better... they made AC and it was fantastic... at this point we're doing awesome... then they made Civ 3 and took several steps backwards... :)

deganawida

deganawida

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts
Call to Power 1 was pretty good. I played the heck out of that game. CTP 2, however, was just a stripped down CTP1 repackaged and wih better graphics. Never tried Civ 3, as CTP2 killed any potential enjoyment from any more Civ games for me.

AC was great, and I would definitely buy a sequel that maintained the fun, ingenuity, and spirit of the original.

random evil guy

random evil guy

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 357 posts

Thing is, I adored Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri, so I ripped Civ 3 off the shelves the day it was released... and I freaking hated it.  The cheating AI made it nearly impossible to survive, and was so frustrating that I felt like throwing my computer out the window.  I managed to win one game, then tossed the CD aside, whereas I've played Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri probably two dozen times.

If Civ 4 goes back the Civ 2 roots, then I'm ecstatic.  If it's going to be more Civ 3 "let's screw with the player, muhahaha" crap, then I won't bother.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

civ 2 sucked ass! it was boring and the ai was abysmal...

civ 1, however, is a classic that we all should adore and love. whereas civ 2 was a horrible mistake, civ3 is the natural continuation of civ 1. albeit, the multiplayer is laggy as hell and the ai isn't perfect, it is still a brilliant game.

my problem with civ 3, are the different levels of difficulty. this "let the ai cheat" thing is pretty boring and stupid. better ai should be the solution...

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Obsidian ViP

• Members
  • 5012 posts
I love all of them .. but AC was by far the best in the series!! I loved the quotes!! :thumbsup:

if they made a AC2 I would be the happiest little gi .. guy .. in the world!!! (w00t)

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts

civ 2 sucked ass! it was boring and the ai was abysmal...

civ 1, however, is a classic that we all should adore and love. whereas civ 2 was a horrible mistake, civ3 is the natural continuation of civ 1. albeit, the multiplayer is laggy as hell and the ai isn't perfect, it is still a brilliant game.

my problem with civ 3, are the different levels of difficulty. this "let the ai cheat" thing is pretty boring and stupid. better ai should be the solution...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Civ 2 was the best of all civs, afaik (I never played Civ 1). Civ 3 indeed had a crappy multiplayer support, and it just didn't have the Civ 2 "feel". AC offered a better MP support, but I didn't like the whole "planet" thing and the futuristic atmosphere of the game.

Aponez

Aponez

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 419 posts
Civilization I, good game
Civilization II, better than Civ I
Call to Power I, was very good too
Alpha Centaury and his expansion were very nice
Call to Power II and Civilization III were the worst of the saga <_<

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Civ 1 is the best of the best.

Aponez

Aponez

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 419 posts

Civ 1 is the best of the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nop, Civ II and CtP are better o:)

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Obsidian ViP

• Members
  • 5012 posts
Call to Power isn't a real civilization game is it?
the all powerful, all credit-taking Sid Meier must put his name on it before it's a real Civilization product .. afaik..

Aponez

Aponez

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 419 posts

the all powerful, all credit-taking Sid Meier must put his name on it before it's a real Civilization product .. afaik..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way to play Call to Power is the same that Civilization, are almost the same game

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nope, Civ 1 is best. Civ 2 was great, but making me pay for my barracks really sucked! rat bastards!

Aponez

Aponez

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 419 posts

Nope, Civ 1 is best.  Civ 2 was great, but making me pay for my barracks really sucked!  rat bastards!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, if you want something you have to pay for it :cool:

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

The cheating AI made it nearly impossible to survive, and was so frustrating that I felt like throwing my computer out the window.

Um, cheating AI? I just borrowed Civ 3 from a friend and started a game in the wimpy difficulty level. I must say I'm getting my ass handed to me by the other 8 civs who like to gangbang on me while keeping perfectly friendly relationships with each other. Not to mention they can wage war and at the same time research much faster than I can. I find it rather frustrating that a prehistoric warrior unit can stand up to and force my knights to withdraw from battle but hey... :lol:
If you know for a fact that the AI cheats, I think I'm going back to CTP1 real soon. <_<

That's what I heard, too. CTP1 was called Civilization back when it was released though. Apparently things went bitter with Sid and since then they aren't allowed to use the Civilization name.

deganawida

deganawida

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts
Yeah, the version that I had was Civilization: Call to Power.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
For a fact, the AI cheats in all of the Civ games. In Civ 3, the game is really bad.

I remember breaking into civ one and two and looking to see what happens at higher levels. It costs less food to grow. The production values for units and buildings are less. The happiness factor is almost entirely mitigated.

Civ 3, though... Well, it's a game designed entirely around the bragging rights for folks who like to boast about how hard the game is.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
Civ 3 is a failure.

In fact it's been a long time since Sid Meyer has made a good game.

He didn't even do the work on Alpha Centauri, Bryan Reynolds did... they just put Sid's name on it to sell it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users