Interview with Damien 'Puuk' Foletto

Zenslinger

Yes, nice :blink:

The gaming industri isn't just a walk on roses...

"As for designing at EA, let

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hmm, first he goes sort of

"Its easy to get into the gaming industry I just went to work as a QA and worked my way up"

then later

"My best friend ***, who was lead programmer at Black Isle"

connections, connections, connections...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I like Puuk. I hope he's enjoying his work... he sounds a bit stressed, LOL... and I hope the next part of the interview gives us the real skinny about why his employment with SSE was so short (although I imagine it probably has more to do with logistics than any juicy scandal. :-

Damien got a job working at Raven? Damn, when I looked for jobs there over a year ago (I grew up in Wisconsin), it didn't look like they would have any interest whatsoever in a "Black Isle-style" designer.

;__;

Hmm, first he goes sort of

"Its easy to get into the gaming industry I just went to work as a QA and worked my way up"

then later

"My best friend ***, who was lead programmer at Black Isle"

connections, connections, connections...

You may notice that there was a several year gulf between Damien starting in IPLY QA and getting into Black Isle. He got his job as a junior designer on IWD2 because he seemed to be the most appropriate and available person at the time. Chris Jones was still at Troika when Damien came to BIS.

I think Severed Hand was more like I wished other areas of IWD2 could have been. There are stylistic elements that I wasn't too fond of, but in terms of having lots of optional side stuff, being able to make meaningful choices, etc., I think it was well done. Granted, John Deiley and Damien worked together on that area, but Damien made a lot of smart choices there.

I think Severed Hand was more like I wished other areas of IWD2 could have been.  There are stylistic elements that I wasn't too fond of, but in terms of having lots of optional side stuff, being able to make meaningful choices, etc., I think it was well done.  Granted, John Deiley and Damien worked together on that area, but Damien made a lot of smart choices there.

who made made it for IWD1?

the Severed hand - Dorn's Keep part in the original is truly a CPRG masterpiece, outstanding music and glimpses of former glory trickling out through the dense post apocalyptic atmosphere

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

the Severed hand - Dorn's Keep part in the original is truly a CPRG masterpiece, outstanding music and glimpses of former glory trickling out through the dense post apocalyptic atmosphere

Reg "The Tornado" Arnedo made SH in IWD1. I think Steve Bokkes and Scott Warner did Upper Dorn's Deep. I did Lower Dorn's Deep.

"the Severed hand - Dorn's Keep part in the original is truly a CPRG masterpiece, outstanding music and glimpses of former glory trickling out through the dense post apocalyptic atmosphere"

I agree. They were awesome. Espiciailly Dorn's Deep as Severed Hand was kinda crippled due to having lots of undead (even though I know it made sense for the area, of course). Good stuff. >_<

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You may notice that there was a several year gulf between Damien starting in IPLY QA and getting into Black Isle.  He got his job as a junior designer on IWD2 because he seemed to be the most appropriate and available person at the time.  Chris Jones  was still at Troika when Damien came to BIS.

You obviously know alot more about what went on in BI. I was just making the bitter comment that he had good connections and without them he might not have even got the Q&A job.

But Im basicly just bitter about being isolated and contactless in a country that has no CRPG making studios at all. We have Dice(battlefield 1942 etc,) but no more.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Reg "The Tornado" Arnedo made SH in IWD1. I think Steve Bokkes and Scott Warner did Upper Dorn's Deep. I did Lower Dorn's Deep.

i see, you did good, i tend to rush through the latter part of a game so things are somewhat blurry though

is Arnedo with bioware now?

We have Dice(battlefield 1942 etc,) but no more.

last i heard EA was buying Dice

EA has been their publisher for ages so that may very well be correct. I dont think they'll move the office though...