IGN Xbox Awards 2004 - Best RPG & Best Story

Halo 2 didn't actually HAVE a plot, so...

Neither did Fable. >_<

Save your blind sister and kill the jack of blades.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Save your blind sister and kill the jack of blades.

Save earth kill the Flood

I see a pattern here.

I loved when you graduated and your motivation for questing was "Go be a hero, young one."

HALO 2=Kill all the alliens and destroy the new HALO, thats story of the year material :p

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I don't really understand how Fable got to be so hyped up. I never expected it to be all that - it was supposed to be an RPG, but there was never any mention of plot, characters, and I knew there was no way they could make it a fulfilling experience on a social "simulation" engine alone. Mainly because social simulation just doesn't work under our current understanding of programming or the human mind, and if it ever did, the best it would get you is something akin to a Soap Opera, or maybe Sims 2.

It was mainly Peter M. hyping the game like a wh*re. It's why expectations were so high. For anyone that didn't know the situation was this:

1) They promised lots and lots of stuff never before seen in an RPG

2) The game went gold, developer interaction on the board went dead. Everyone assumed they were taking a break and celebrating.

3) It was reviewed a couple days later, listing alot of the stuff that had been cut. The devs were not upfront with the community, leaving many to believe (after it went gold) that many features were implemented when in fact they weren't. We (the community) had to find out from some depressed reviewer (H. Goldstein, iirc) that all these revolutionary features got cut.

4) General mayhem ensued. People called Peter M. a liar, death threats ensued from loyal board members that had been there for 4 years. No response even days after the game hit shelves.

I remember vividly the disappointment many felt. It was a dark day in rpgland. :p

4) General mayhem ensued. People called Peter M. a liar, death threats ensued from loyal board members that had been there for 4 years. No response even days after the game hit shelves.

The day I send death threats to a developer, regardless of how upset I am at features being ommitted from a game I am looking forward to, is the day I volunteeringly admit myself to the local psychiatric hospital. <_<

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I felt rather cheated by the release of Ultima IX after what was promised with that game. But I only waited for 5 years, and Ultima IX was the culmination of everything Ultima.

Since they I try to keep expectations low and just enjoy games.

Unless MCA makes the game, and then I demand perfection. If the game is not perfect, then I blame Feargie for not fetching coffee properly.

The day I send death threats to a developer, regardless of how upset I am at features being ommitted from a game I am looking forward to, is the day I volunteeringly admit myself to the local psychiatric hospital.  <_<

Ah, I was just kidding. Sorry. :-"

But people that had interacted and made friends with the Q&A squad and devs openly called them liars, making their profits off of deceiving loyal fans. They had... er, let's just say applied inappropriate editing to pictures of Molyneaux. :o

But people that had interacted and made friends with the Q&A squad and devs openly called them liars, making their profits off of deceiving loyal fans. They had... er, let's just say applied inappropriate editing to pictures of Molyneaux. :-

I've applied inappropriate editing to pictures of the Obsidian KOTOR team. But that's because they're a bunch of sexy mofo's and it looks better that way in the poster above my bed.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I understand how you felt.

Ultima IX actually hurt my feelings. I had so much respect for Richard Gariot's ability to innovate, try to shape the future of RPGs, build worlds, and tell stories.

What I got for my $65 (preordered Dragon Edition) was a slap in my face.

Hardly a suprise, games undergo changes as the development continues and things get cut.

Fable anounced their development specs, it wa bad idea because not only features get cut during the natural evolution of development ( they dont work as expected, they are unbalanced, serve no purpose, etc...) but they were buidling a new engine, as people that work with a proven engine know how it handles things a new engine is always a shoot in the dark.

In the end Fable is not exactly a bad RPG but its not the "rpg to end all rpgs" as advertised.

drakron.png

I understand how you felt.

Ultima IX actually hurt my feelings.  I had so much respect for Richard Gariot's ability to innovate, try to shape the future of RPGs, build worlds, and tell stories.

What I got for my $65 (preordered Dragon Edition) was a slap in my face.

Well considering that EA was playing havok with Origin development its hardly a suprise, take the engine for example that EA intended to be licensed for other games and was not much good in terms of framerate and optimization, I run it years after release with something far more powerful when it was released and it performed poorly.

He made sure IX was to end the Avatar series in terms of story, with was not bad because we Wing Commander fans end up with WC:P that have a ending like WC1 and 2.

drakron.png

The guys at Fable actually tried to decieve its crowd to keep the hype going. Until the bewildered community confronted them after seeing the IGN review, the team was still referring to features that had been cut weeks before. They let 5-10 page threads ramble on about how exciting this feature and that feature would be, even as they knew it wasn't in the game, by adding to the discussion or keeping totally silent about its cut.

Can anyone tell me if they see five years of development out of Fable? I mean, come on. The graphics were mediocre, the story was pathetic, and the game was about as long as a TV sitcom without commercials. As someone said, the motivation for even doing quests was fatuous, and I absolutely loathed the way the quests were set up. What was Mr. Mollenaeux doing for those five years? Actually, I guess he was busy campaigning for a game he should have been focused on developing.

An RPG to change all RPG's? :o

Fable = most overhyped and overrated game in the history of consoles.

Sorry, had to go on a Fable rant.